5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Diagnosis needed 2k(nock)2

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 04:14 PM

Diagnosis needed 2k(nock)2

Okay, here's one. I'm getting light knocking in the 2600 RPM range, with 93 octane, on my manual 2k2. Of course it's much worse with any lesser fuel. I'm not sure (my other car's a '90 Miata with 100 HP if I'm lucky), but I've a feeling I'm also not getting the HP I should. Where to dyno in NoVa?

BTW, my mileage sucks too, maybe a little more than average. On my last seven tanks, my computer's averaged over 4 MPG on the high side, a non-stop highway tank (cruise set at 80 most of the way) was 26.1 MPG, and my typical driving has yielded 19.5-21.5 MPG, which is better, but still not what I would expect. The handful of cars I've had have always gotten better than EPA mileage (21/28), even the sorry LeBaron and even years later. My Miata still gets 30 highway, which is what the EPA said 13 years ago it would get.

Anything spring to mind as a cause of the knocking? Any typical problems in the car that could explain this? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

cheers
Old 10-21-2002, 04:58 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Diagnosis needed 2k(nock)2

Originally posted by ReservoirD
Okay, here's one. I'm getting light knocking in the 2600 RPM range, with 93 octane, on my manual 2k2. Of course it's much worse with any lesser fuel. I'm not sure (my other car's a '90 Miata with 100 HP if I'm lucky), but I've a feeling I'm also not getting the HP I should. Where to dyno in NoVa?

BTW, my mileage sucks too, maybe a little more than average. On my last seven tanks, my computer's averaged over 4 MPG on the high side, a non-stop highway tank (cruise set at 80 most of the way) was 26.1 MPG, and my typical driving has yielded 19.5-21.5 MPG, which is better, but still not what I would expect. The handful of cars I've had have always gotten better than EPA mileage (21/28), even the sorry LeBaron and even years later. My Miata still gets 30 highway, which is what the EPA said 13 years ago it would get.

Anything spring to mind as a cause of the knocking? Any typical problems in the car that could explain this? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

cheers
What gear and what speed does the knocking occur?

If your lugging the engine with a heavy load than it's typical. However, if it's in the proper gear for the driving situation and knocking that's abnormal and you might have a bad ignition coil or MAF sensor.

Also, try switching gas stations(I exclusively use Chevron) to see if that helps.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: knocking

ReservoirD,

I'm also experiencing the same problem with my 2k2 6-spd. I get light pinging/knocking in the 2400-2800 range while the engine is under moderate load (not heavy load - it goes away then). And that's with 93 octane. I've tried getting gas from different stations but it didn't help. The easiest way for me to hear it is in 2nd gear while going up a hill. I've occasionally heard it in higher gears too.

IceY2K1's suggestions are good. I've read tons of postings on this board and others regarding pinging/knocking, and one of the most frequent causes was bad ignition coils. The '00 and '01 Maximas have a TSB for it, but nothing I'm aware of for the '02.

I plan on going to my dealer soon (in a few weeks) and demand that they address this. I treat my car well, and there's absolutely no reason for my engine to be pinging/knocking.

Also, just this weekend I had what seemed to be two misfires while I was accelerating. This was in the middle of a 5 hour trip and I was passing through a town. I accelerated briskly away from a stoplight and about half a second later the engine lurched briefly. It happened again a few minutes later, but then no more on the trip. My hope is that it's related to the pinging/knocking problem.

P.S. Anyone out there with an '02 Max who's managed to get their dealer to replace faulty coils?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
ABS

Was it like this since the car was new or is this a recent problem? Also, had your car recently been serviced by the dealer prior to the start of the symptoms? I recently learned that the Consult II can be used to manually vary default values/base settings in the ECM. Your dealer may have altered your settings, unbeknownst to you, during your last visit . . .
Old 10-25-2002, 09:14 AM

Nah, it's been this way since I got it. The service manager gave me some BS about fuel in the summer blah blah blah.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Diagnosis needed 2k(nock)2

cheers

I can't add anything about the ping/knock issue, but as far as gas mileage, I've noticed mine has started to get better over the last few thousand kms. It started to get better at about 20k km (12k mi) and has improved slightly since then.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:47 AM

Yah, but that's not acceptable. Do you think they had a pre-production with 8000 miles to do the EPA mileage rating? And even if they did, I've never had a car that performed so poorly relative to the EPA mileage rating, even brand new.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yah, but that's not acceptable. Do you think they had a pre-production with 8000 miles to do the EPA mileage rating? And even if they did, I've never had a car that performed so poorly relative to the EPA mileage rating, even brand new.
You can always trade the max in on a swanky new TDI Golf or a Prius.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Jaws

You can always trade the max in on a swanky new TDI Golf or a Prius.
Hey Jaws,

I have a car that is not performing as it should, according to Nissan's marketing of the car. I do not know if it is a problem with my car, or the Maxima in general. If it's a problem with my car, I'd like to identify the problem so I can have it fixed. If it's a problem with the car in general, then I will have to go in a different direction.

Let me ask you a couple of questions. If you get a product that does not meet the expectations you have, which are based on claims made by the manufacturer, are you more likely to question the manufacturer's claims or your own expectations? Are you more likely to try to gather as much information as possible to back up your opinion, or are you more likely to sit on your thumbs, except when you need them to hit the space bar?
Old 10-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Hey Jaws,

I have a car that is not performing as it should, according to Nissan's marketing of the car. I do not know if it is a problem with my car, or the Maxima in general. If it's a problem with my car, I'd like to identify the problem so I can have it fixed. If it's a problem with the car in general, then I will have to go in a different direction.

Let me ask you a couple of questions. If you get a product that does not meet the expectations you have, which are based on claims made by the manufacturer, are you more likely to question the manufacturer's claims or your own expectations? Are you more likely to try to gather as much information as possible to back up your opinion, or are you more likely to sit on your thumbs, except when you need them to hit the space bar?
Excellent response.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:39 PM
ABS

Bring it in to the dealer and have them clear out the ECM memory. Then have them perform the idle speed calibration (includes ignition timing) and have them perform the throttle position calibration. It is possible that your ECM was only partly reset at some point and some "bad" values got loaded. I had this happen to my car after the ECM was flashed with new code.

Try this and let us know what happens.

Most dealers will say that the car is "operating within spec". This may be true, but they can still reset the ECM.

Also, there is an ECM code update for some/most 2K2's.