5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OK, I'm a believer!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 07:52 PM

OK, I'm a believer!

Just got my RSB installed this weekend and I feel like I'm driving a completely different car. The ride feels so much stable, no more wobbly rear end. It's unreal how such a small mod makes such a freakin' difference on how the car feels overall. 100% recommended! Mine is a Stillen but I'm pretty sure the Addco has the same effect from what I have read. Take your pick and just DO IT!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: OK, I'm a believer!

Originally posted by GimmeTorq
Just got my RSB installed this weekend and I feel like I'm driving a completely different car. The ride feels so much stable, no more wobbly rear end. It's unreal how such a small mod makes such a freakin' difference on how the car feels overall. 100% recommended! Mine is a Stillen but I'm pretty sure the Addco has the same effect from what I have read. Take your pick and just DO IT!
i've been thinking about gettnig RSB for awhile now. Do you also have FTSB (or FSTB ) ? I have that already, so I'm not sure if adding RSB will improve alot or just a lil?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: Re: OK, I'm a believer!

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
i've been thinking about gettnig RSB for awhile now. Do you also have FTSB (or FSTB ) ? I have that already, so I'm not sure if adding RSB will improve alot or just a lil?
I don't have an FSTB but I don't think I need it. The RSB did all I wanted: stopped the wobbly rear end and made the ride feel much more stable overall. My recommendation is to make the investment. It is worth it!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:13 PM

The FTSB I got didn't do Crap compared to what the RSB did! Frankly, I couldn't feel a difference in the suspension until I installed the Addco Bar.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:53 PM

It'll help a lot. Highly highly reccomended.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: OK, I'm a believer!

I felt the same way the first time I felt
the effects of a RSB.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:09 PM

FSTB helps a little, but the RSB is noticeable immediately. It's also very easy to install. Many people have tested both the Stillen and the Addco. No noticeable difference in either model with exception of price. Addco is well over $100 cheaper.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Virus
FSTB helps a little, but the RSB is noticeable immediately. It's also very easy to install. Many people have tested both the Stillen and the Addco. No noticeable difference in either model with exception of price. Addco is well over $100 cheaper.
I personally think the addco performed better for me, but I had my bushings an inch from the bend on each side and had no creaking or banging noises at all. the stillen looks much better though.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:16 PM

Just order ADDCO Sway Bar and sets of Clear Front and Rear Bumper markers w/ Polarg bulbs. From Custom Maxima.com Hope I can improve my handling a bit on stock Sport-Tuned Suspension.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 PM

The FSTB helps with high speed cornering and control.

The RSB helps with handling and body roll.

The effect from the RSB is more noticeable immediately and at just about every speed. Once the god-awful body lean is eliminated the car is much more fun to drive fast and the rear stays planted to the road. IMO the FSTB is only noticeable at high speeds or very hard cornering. Long fast turns will be a lot more manageable. And for me, I could push the car a lot harder in turns before the tires started to "talk back".

I consider both mods absolute necessities, whether you have springs or not.

FSTB
$20

RSB
$115

Taking a onramp at twice the posted speed limit
Priceless.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:36 AM
2K2 BLACK 6 SPD

Originally posted by nismotech
Just order ADDCO Sway Bar and sets of Clear Front and Rear Bumper markers w/ Polarg bulbs. From Custom Maxima.com Hope I can improve my handling a bit on stock Sport-Tuned Suspension.
I will also be getting the RSB from Custommaxima.com very soon. I went down to CT and did some testing for Greg on the FSTB that custommaxima.com is working on for the 2002-2003. We took it for a few good runs and I found that I could take corners much better than without the FSTB. I can only imaging what having both the FSTB and the RSB will feel like. I'll know soon when I receive both from him.

Old 10-24-2002, 06:09 AM

And I quote:

What Lumbee said.

Amen.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:14 AM

Definitely get the RSB. Very noticable improvement in handling.

Buzz
Old 10-24-2002, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Lumbee799

The effect from the RSB is more noticeable immediately and at just about every speed. Once the god-awful body lean is eliminated the car is much more fun to drive fast and the rear stays planted to the road. IMO the FSTB is only noticeable at high speeds or very hard cornering. Long fast turns will be a lot more manageable. And for me, I could push the car a lot harder in turns before the tires started to "talk back".

FSTB
$20

RSB
$115

Priceless.
nice wording! i 2nd that 100%. i love when peeps get on here and say my FSTB didnt do anything. if u dont push ur car around turns dont buy handling mods!

will
Old 10-24-2002, 07:40 AM

I would like to get one but I just don't trust any of the shops around here to install it properly. The shops around here are used to Hondas and other ricer cars but it real difficult to trust them to take care of my Max. I have the FSTB already and that was easy to do I wish there was another org memeber in my area capable of installing one for me.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I would like to get one but I just don't trust any of the shops around here to install it properly. The shops around here are used to Hondas and other ricer cars but it real difficult to trust them to take care of my Max. I have the FSTB already and that was easy to do I wish there was another org memeber in my area capable of installing one for me.
RSB is extremely easy to install. The most nervous part about the whole thing was backing the Max up on ramps. Once the rear is up in the air, you can see how the RSB connects to the axle and realize that it will be a simple install.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:55 AM
Very sound, Mike

Agreed, i didn't want to install it myself the first time around but i went at it anyway. The process is very simple as long as you have the right tools.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:46 PM

HEY! I installed mine in an hour or two because I took extreme caution. I can do it for you for free, and best of all you don't have to jack up your car! I'm so small I put mine on with the car sitting on the ground, with the 2" drop. Trust me I'm very delicate with cars, what's the point of installing something new if you break something old? Drop me a PM when you get it Marcus, I can drive down and install it almost any Friday or Saturday (just not the next two sorry bud).
-Cyrus
Old 10-24-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

HEY! I installed mine in an hour or two because I took extreme caution. I can do it for you for free, and best of all you don't have to jack up your car! D I'm so small I put mine on with the car sitting on the ground, with the 2" drop. Trust me I'm very delicate with cars, what's the point of installing something new if you break something old? Drop me a PM when you get it Marcus, I can drive down and install it almost any Friday or Saturday (not not the next two sorry bud).
-Cyrus
Are you at least 1 foot tall?
Old 10-24-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Are you at least 1 foot tall?
Actually 5'10" But a stick at only 130lbs.
-Cyrus
Old 10-24-2002, 07:01 PM

What is an RSB? What does it do? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by ford5litre
What is an RSB? What does it do? Thanks!
It is a Rear Sway Bar... eliminates body roll in the rear of the car by bracing the rear beam and chassis. Your car comes from the factory with a Front Sway Bar, but not a RSB as so many cars today do. Definitely an A+ Mod.
-Cyrus
Old 10-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Maxima06071

It is a Rear Sway Bar... eliminates body roll in the rear of the car by bracing the rear beam and chassis. Your car comes from the factory with a Front Sway Bar, but not a RSB as so many cars today do. Definitely an A+ Mod.
-Cyrus
Will it make my Maxima handle like a RWD car?

Old 10-24-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
joO Wish!!! Wait... I do too!
Old 10-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Maybe not, but if you get 6" wheel spacers and attach belts from the front wheels to the back (Tank set-up) you'll get an AWD vehicle
Old 10-24-2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Virus
How does it feel in the GLE. Does it really firm up the ride or is it barely noticeable. I'm just curious because I would hate to have a rough ride.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:58 AM

Is the ride stiffer?

I've only heard good things about the FSTB and RSB, but do they make the ride stiffer, bumpier, bouncier, etc.? I have the SE which is pretty smooth compared to other cars I owned, I would hate to feel like I was driving with no springs.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:04 AM

HEY! I installed mine in an hour or two because I took extreme caution. I can do it for you for free, and best of all you don't have to jack up your car! I'm so small I put mine on with the car sitting on the ground, with the 2" drop. Trust me I'm very delicate with cars, what's the point of installing something new if you break something old? Drop me a PM when you get it Marcus, I can drive down and install it almost any Friday or Saturday (just not the next two sorry bud).
-Cyrus
I know you told me you were able to install your with out lifting the car on base we have a auto hobby shop on Langley we can take it there so you do have to get down underneath the car. I'll PM you!
Old 10-25-2002, 07:31 AM

I'm interested in getting a RSB, however I do not own a garage or the necessary tools, and time to do something like this. Do most of you have a shop do the install?? If so, where should I go?? I'm in the Chicago area.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by pjonkheer
I'm interested in getting a RSB, however I do not own a garage or the necessary tools, and time to do something like this. Do most of you have a shop do the install?? If so, where should I go?? I'm in the Chicago area.
I did it in the apartment complex carport, you can rent a torque wrench from Home Depot. Took me 30 minutes to do everything. It's probably going to take you more time to drive down to the shop and have it installed than if you were to do it yourself
Old 10-25-2002, 12:44 PM

Why'd you need a torque wrench for a RSB?

I did it in a apartment complex parking garage, without lifting the car or removing the rear wheels. Took a while, but it can be done if you don't have jack stands or ramps. At least it was with the Stillen kit.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
Why'd you need a torque wrench for a RSB?
Well it can be done without but the instructions on the Addco calls for it. And since i already had one handy i just followed the procedure
Old 10-25-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Lumbee799

FSTB
$20

RSB
$115

Priceless.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

Well it can be done without but the instructions on the Addco calls for it. And since i already had one handy i just followed the procedure

hmm.....I just tightened mine up as tight as possible.

was this ill advised?
Old 10-25-2002, 02:27 PM

for the stillen bar all you need is an 8mm hex bar and a 14 mm wrench. The install is real easy. For the addco I believe all you need is the 14 mm wrench or socket wrench. Really an easy install that anyone can do in less than an hour.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:41 PM

One other thing...

Something that nobody's mentioned that also is really important...

If you want to get the full effect of what the FSTB and RSB can do for your Maxima, you really need to upgrade the tires too.

When you put the RSB on, it will stiffen up the rear end quite a bit, and IMO it is very noticable, especially when you hit a big bump. But it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it for the handling. It really is a night and day difference, and it's definitely my favorite mod I've done.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: One other thing...

Originally posted by hawkdog
Something that nobody's mentioned that also is really important...

If you want to get the full effect of what the FSTB and RSB can do for your Maxima, you really need to upgrade the tires too.

When you put the RSB on, it will stiffen up the rear end quite a bit, and IMO it is very noticable, especially when you hit a big bump. But it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it for the handling. It really is a night and day difference, and it's definitely my favorite mod I've done.
Thanks for the answer on the ride comfort. I haven't found it anywhere else!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:21 PM

I agree. I never knew how bad the stock ****enzas were til I upgraded my suspension. Now I can feel them sliding around in hard cornering. When spring gets here I am definately upgrading rims and tires.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:23 PM

I know you told me you were able to install your with out lifting the car on base we have a auto hobby shop on Langley we can take it there so you do have to get down underneath the car. I'll PM you!
No prob. Hopefully Monday my AGXs will come in, and next week I will order FSB bushings and the RSTB. That's as complete of a suspension as my Max will ever see.
-Cyrus