5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will a performance fuel pump stop my car's hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:24 PM

Will a performance fuel pump stop my car's hesitation?

I have a 2000 SC MAX 5-speed with an upgraded 3.33" pulley and my hesitation problems are becoming more persistant. Will changing my fuel pump into a walbro High press. 255 l/h help out any? I know that our cars have hesitation problems but I am getting them more often. And yes, I already did a search but my question wasn't answered. IF anyone has any info on this, can u LMK. Thanx!
Old 10-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do u have Loren's mod on hobb switch? SC kit comes with a fuel pump already to support the stock pump.

If u dont have Loren's mod....give it a try, I heard it helps. the previous owner of my SC kit has this mod already.....

so what's the hesitation like? just wondering.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
do u have Loren's mod on hobb switch? SC kit comes with a fuel pump already to support the stock pump.

If u dont have Loren's mod....give it a try, I heard it helps. the previous owner of my SC kit has this mod already.....

so what's the hesitation like? just wondering.
What is this Loren;s mod on the hobb switch? If you put a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, you techincally dont need the hobb switch or any of that except the Vortech Fuel Pressure Regulator

Dixit
Old 10-24-2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

What is this Loren;s mod on the hobb switch? If you put a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, you techincally dont need the hobb switch or any of that except the Vortech Fuel Pressure Regulator

Dixit

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=loren

check out Loren00Miata and STeveChicagoSC's post

it is to hardwire ur hobb switch on the Bosch pump that comes with the kit and to have it on all time. therefore, when u let off the gas pedal, it does not create any back pressure in the fuel line.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:26 PM

Good info, but what about my question about if I just run the Walbro 255lph, I dont need to run the aux pump anymore correct? That means no need for the hobb switch.

Or is my thinking and what people have told me completely untrue, only reason I ask is because my Supercharger goes back on in 2weeks and I bought a Walbro 255lph pump just to get around the whole aux fuel pump wiring and install.

Dixit
Old 10-24-2002, 03:44 PM

Good info, but what about my question about if I just run the Walbro 255lph, I dont need to run the aux pump anymore correct? That means no need for the hobb switch.

Or is my thinking and what people have told me completely untrue, only reason I ask is because my Supercharger goes back on in 2weeks and I bought a Walbro 255lph pump just to get around the whole aux fuel pump wiring and install.

Dixit

oh....in that case, u already replace ur stock pump with a performance fuel pump....u dont even need the one from stillen, just the FMU. cutting the line and installing the adapters are not fun from teh aux pump....my fingers were sore for 2 days.

btw, what pulley size are u using? and good luck on the install

btw(1) - did ur insurance company pay for all the electronic items that were stolen from ur car?
Old 10-24-2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

oh....in that case, u already replace ur stock pump with a performance fuel pump....u dont even need the one from stillen, just the FMU. cutting the line and installing the adapters are not fun from teh aux pump....my fingers were sore for 2 days.

btw, what pulley size are u using? and good luck on the install

btw(1) - did ur insurance company pay for all the electronic items that were stolen from ur car?
I am going to run a 3.125" pulley and going to install it in 2weeks when the car comes back from the audio shop where some work is going to be performed.

Unfortunately im going to post anything about my audio anymore, if you want to email i will tell you, hope you understand.

Dixit
Old 10-24-2002, 06:02 PM

I am going to run a 3.125" pulley and going to install it in 2weeks when the car comes back from the audio shop where some work is going to be performed.

Unfortunately im going to post anything about my audio anymore, if you want to email i will tell you, hope you understand.

Dixit
good size! I was not too impressed with the 3.33...I know the power is there....but I was expected that I will feel a strong pull dragging me....but turned out, its not.

but the power still there.....hehehe

and, I understand why u doing this......
Old 12-10-2002, 04:18 PM

So, what type of fuel upgrades is needed with a 3.125 pulley. I plan on getting a walbro 255 l/h high pressure fuel pump for fuel upgrades but is there anything else that i should install so I won't be running lean? If u have any info , let me know. Thanx!

~AC
Old 12-10-2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by maxxboost00
So, what type of fuel upgrades is needed with a 3.125 pulley. I plan on getting a walbro 255 l/h high pressure fuel pump for fuel upgrades but is there anything else that i should install so I won't be running lean? If u have any info , let me know. Thanx!

~AC
That fuel pump is perfect, just install it into the tank and then dont bother installing the auxilary stillen fuel pump. Just use the Walbro in the tank and the Fuel Pressure Regulator with a 8:1 disc in there.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2002, 12:04 AM

isn't the fuel pressure regulator the same auxillary fuel pump?? I'm confused . Or do I have to purchase a different FPR? I need some explanation of what is what. let me know. Thanx!

~AC

ps. where did u get your fuel pump from? Did it come with an installation kit or did u just purchase the pump by itself?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:33 AM

isn't the fuel pressure regulator the same auxillary fuel pump?? I'm confused . Or do I have to purchase a different FPR? I need some explanation of what is what. let me know. Thanx!

~AC

ps. where did u get your fuel pump from? Did it come with an installation kit or did u just purchase the pump by itself?
The FPR is the blue circle thing. The auxilary fuel pump is the round cynlindrical like fuel pump, looks almost like the walbro 255lph. Getting the walbro will eliminate the need for the aux fuel pump. STILL need the FPR to regulate how much fuel is going in. So to keep it from being too rich or too lean.

I got mine off a dude on ebay. It was brand new. Dont really need an install kit, look in the FAQ of this forum (5th gen) and you can find a howto by STIKYA on how to put this walbro into the tank and remove the stock one.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2002, 06:55 PM

thanx Dixit. So, I'm guessing that the fuel lines have to go back to its stock setup, right? And The two hoses that are connected to the FPR should be left alone, correct? What about the electrical wiring? Do I leave the wires connected to the Aux. fuel pump or do I remove them? If i remove them, where should they be connected? Sorry for piling up the questions. Thanx again.

~AC
Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 PM

thanx Dixit. So, I'm guessing that the fuel lines have to go back to its stock setup, right? And The two hoses that are connected to the FPR should be left alone, correct? What about the electrical wiring? Do I leave the wires connected to the Aux. fuel pump or do I remove them? If i remove them, where should they be connected? Sorry for piling up the questions. Thanx again.

~AC
Like I said, get rid of the aux fuel pump entirely and the hobb switch. So in a sense you have no wiring to do. None.

The hose connections for the fuel lines to and from the FPR should be simple. One goes back to the tank and the other is coming off the stock line. Simple.

Dixit