5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just ordered Courtesy FSTB, now for Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 08:00 AM

Just ordered the Courtesy FSTB. What elese would you guys sugest for handeling. Still RSB? would ending it there be enough? or do I need to add sprigs? If so what kind? What else can I add for handeling? Now what is the best intake to buy? I almost ordered the one from courtesy... but I wasnt sure if it was the best deal.. Thanks

Old 12-25-2000, 09:01 AM

get the rear sway bar and the springs and that should eliminate the body roll
Old 12-25-2000, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best deal on a JWT Popcharger . . .

is from Phuong (gr_racing@yahoo.com). He sells them for $122.00 including shipping.

I'd definitely recommend you get the Stillen RSB. Check to see what Phuong sells them for when you order your Popcharger.

The only caveat I would give you regarding shocks and springs is that if you lower your car, you'll gain handling performance at the expense of ride quality. The only question is, how much of a sacrifice in ride quality are you willing to accept?

My SE rides stiff enough as it is. I probably won't lower it anytime soon. As far as which aftermarket springs and shocks to recommend, I'll let the guys who have installed them speak to that issue.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-25-2000 at 11:57 AM]
Old 12-25-2000, 10:39 AM

what about your intake?

So you think that popcharger is better than your stillen??
Old 12-25-2000, 10:55 AM

Nope. It's a tossup. The ONLY advantage I can tell with the SI is that someday perhaps (yeah right !!!) Stillen will get their intake C.A.R.B. approved for the 2K Maxima. I'm in CA and I'd love to have that approval. That way I wouldn't have to remove the intake if I ever needed to take my car into the dealer for warranty work on the drivetrain. And why would I feel the need to remove a non-C.A.R.B. approved air filter before taking it to the dealer? Check out this nightmare:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=15088

[Edited by y2kse on 12-25-2000 at 03:12 PM]
Old 12-25-2000, 01:11 PM

dunno If i wanna put one on now!!

After reading that Im a leaning to leaving the intake alone and just dropping in a High Perf. Filter in... If it isnt going to be much of a diff of hp to the wheel... from the intake... I live In Rochester NY and the roads get pretty shi**y around here.. So your saying that the Still is more safe than the other one??
Old 12-25-2000, 01:21 PM

Re: dunno If i wanna put one on now!!

All of the underhood aftermarket filters should be OK from a safety standpoint. I've never heard of anyone other than MrBurner say they had a safety problem with their underhood intakes. In fact, I've never heard of anyone complaining about a safety problem with a cold-air intake (CAI), and the filter on a CAI resides completely outside of the engine compartment!

Whatever happened to MrBurner's car had to be some kind of anomaly. And I'm still not convinced that the real problem had anything to do with his aftermarket intake at all.
Old 12-25-2000, 01:42 PM

Alrright...

So Is a Pop Charger Noisy?? Im not really into making my $29,000 car sound like one of those crx's that fart around my town..im just not into that..Or would a High Perf filter add just as much HP..thats all im really concered with.. I just want to make my car faster.. and keeping it quiet...
Old 12-25-2000, 01:54 PM

Noisy? Yes and no . . .

You'll definitely hear your intake when you're accelerating, but that's when most people want to hear their intakes. At idle you'll hear a slight "hissing" sound. And at cruising speeds, you should hear practically nothing coming from your intake.

The farty sound you're referring to on CRXs is primarily the sound of their exhaust systems rather than their intakes.

As for performance . . . not much. You may experience an additional 5 to 8 horsepower at the wheels, but most of that hp will show up above 5000 rpm.
Old 12-25-2000, 02:03 PM

So should I do it?

So should I do put the stillen intake on? or should I just drop in a HP Filter.. What's the best filter I could buy?
Old 12-25-2000, 02:32 PM

If eventual (???) C.A.R.B. approval is no big deal for you, then I'll stand by my initial recommendation. Get a JWT Popcharger from Phuong for $122.00. Otherwise, get the Stillen Intake. The SI uses a genuine K&N filter while the JWT does not. Phuong sells the SI for $164.00 shipped.
Old 12-25-2000, 05:38 PM

Went with the AMSOIL filter

Really didnt want the noise i was hearing about.. Bought the AMSOIL Filter i saw specified in a post..
Old 12-25-2000, 06:04 PM

Cool . . .

That's what I've got right now. I'll be swapping it into my wife's 2K GXE when my SI arrives.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:14 PM

Re: Went with the AMSOIL filter

Originally posted by DeaZaL
Really didnt want the noise i was hearing about.. Bought the AMSOIL Filter i saw specified in a post..
The drop in filters provide slightly extra flow, but nothing to bring home bragging about. The conical air filters remove the intake resonators& increase surface area, so the intake note has more growl to it. The increase in the surface area allows for more air to be sucked/forced into the engine, increasing the volumetric efficiency. More air + fuel + spark = more power, along with slightly better gas mileage (due to be more efficient). Since you're up in NY, there's no real need to worry about CARB approval, so no need to spend the extra dough on the Stillen intake. JWTs is less and does the job just as good.

Once you have a RSB, the car should handle much better than stock, but the addition of springs/shocks will be a night/day difference. Since the roads up north can be real crappy, a stiffer ride might not be want you want (depending on how tolerable you are and how strong your lower back is .)