5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cadillac LED In Maxima 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Sanduguero

cadillac LED In Maxima 2k2

Ok there got to be a way i can get those cadillac deville LED brake lights i will pay anything even if i have to call the company that supplies cadillac with them....(thats how my obcession is)
For all of you that got contacts and hook ups how can i do this, the brakes am talking about are the ones that are super fast when they break the light is bright and quick... PLEASE HELP Me??....lol
there is a reward!!!!!

Old 10-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Very sound, Mike

Ever considered getting LED bulbs?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Sanduguero

[QUOTE]Originally posted by soundmike
[B]Ever considered getting LED bulbs?

yeah but do they work as fast i want the best no matter how much the cost am (rich) and where do i get them at
THANK YOU
SoundMike!
Old 10-28-2002, 10:06 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'm not 100% sure they're fast but judging by the nature of how LED's work i'd assume it's faster than your regular bulb.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:08 AM

are u talking about the line of led's on the trunk? i was thinking about the 7 series brake ligh on the trunk...would look cool.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:14 AM

I work for an LED mfg in California. We do mostly custom designs for aircraft, military, industrial, and architectual lighting industries. We use the latest and greatest in LED technology, some LEDs being bright enough to compete against halogen bulbs. The problem with LEDs is that they are very directional with thier light output. The brighter the LED, the more focused the light. If you look at the Cadillac design, (I've seen the actual LED assembly up close), you will notice that the whole brake-light cavity is filled with LEDs. That the is only way to fill the whole lens without creating "hot-spots". The typical aftermarket LED replacement bulbs that are on the market today are designed to be global retrofits. They are mechanically similar to the incandescent bulb, but they don't produce enough light in the right spots to adequately illuminate the whole lens assembly. Unfortunately, the tail light assembly on the Max uses the lame-duck wedge-based bulbs with an opening barely big enough to fit the incandescent bulb. To make a descent LED assembly for the Max's tail light or even the front marker and turn-signal for that matter, you have to be able to modify the assembly to fit a larger cluster of LEDs.

I know this is long winded, but this is one subject that I know alot about. I've learned so much from everone here, I think I can contribute something for once.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
I work for an LED mfg in California. We do mostly custom designs for aircraft, military, industrial, and architectual lighting industries. We use the latest and greatest in LED technology, some LEDs being bright enough to compete against halogen bulbs. The problem with LEDs is that they are very directional with thier light output. The brighter the LED, the more focused the light. If you look at the Cadillac design, (I've seen the actual LED assembly up close), you will notice that the whole brake-light cavity is filled with LEDs. That the is only way to fill the whole lens without creating "hot-spots". The typical aftermarket LED replacement bulbs that are on the market today are designed to be global retrofits. They are mechanically similar to the incandescent bulb, but they don't produce enough light in the right spots to adequately illuminate the whole lens assembly. Unfortunately, the tail light assembly on the Max uses the lame-duck wedge-based bulbs with an opening barely big enough to fit the incandescent bulb. To make a descent LED assembly for the Max's tail light or even the front marker and turn-signal for that matter, you have to be able to modify the assembly to fit a larger cluster of LEDs.

I know this is long winded, but this is one subject that I know alot about. I've learned so much from everone here, I think I can contribute something for once.
Couldn't have said it better myself...I don't know how many times I've had to explain that on other message boards...over and over...

Anyway, if you really want to do this, and do it RIGHT, it'll definitely be a completely custom route. You may want to get in contact with (I think his name is Mike) over at http://www.clearcorners.com

He does a lot of lighting retrofits, namely HID and LED. His Lexus SC3/400 and 240SX LED tail lights are simply amazing, to say the least. He'd definitely be the person to talk to.

John
Old 10-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Couldn't have said it better myself...I don't know how many times I've had to explain that on other message boards...over and over...

Anyway, if you really want to do this, and do it RIGHT, it'll definitely be a completely custom route. You may want to get in contact with (I think his name is Mike) over at http://www.clearcorners.com

He does a lot of lighting retrofits, namely HID and LED. His Lexus SC3/400 and 240SX LED tail lights are simply amazing, to say the least. He'd definitely be the person to talk to.

John
I love thier little blurb about altezzas:
"Enough already! Altezza lights belong on the Altezza, Supra lights on the Supra, and Skyline lights on the Skyline. There's nothing euro about these so-called "euro-style" lights. Stop the madness people, we won't support this automotive tom-foolery. "
Old 10-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Sanduguero

MetaOrbit: this is what they had to say!!

Sorry Jairo, we dont sell lights for the Maxima!

so am **** out of luck uhm? damn i should of gotten a damn honda...!!

Hell NOOOOOO!! just kidding (

after market parts for maxima suck!!!)
Old 10-29-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Doesn't mean it can't be done. I would assume you would have to cut a big area of the rear housing to get the circuit board full of leds(shaped like the 5th/4th/3rd gen housing-or whatever shape you prefer). Then wire it up to the stock wiring harness(maybe with a resistor?)

I have to fully agree, I love how fast and bright those Caddy led lights are. I would imagine it translates into at least 5ft of reaction time in an emergency braking situation.

Originally posted by playero
MetaOrbit: this is what they had to say!!

Sorry Jairo, we dont sell lights for the Maxima!

so am **** out of luck uhm? damn i should of gotten a damn honda...!!

Hell NOOOOOO!! just kidding (

after market parts for maxima suck!!!)
Old 10-29-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Doesn't mean it can't be done. I would assume you would have to cut a big area of the rear housing to get the circuit board full of leds(shaped like the 5th/4th/3rd gen housing-or whatever shape you prefer). Then wire it up to the stock wiring harness(maybe with a resistor?)

I have to fully agree, I love how fast and bright those Caddy led lights are. I would imagine it translates into at least 5ft of reaction time in an emergency braking situation.

Heck yeah, it could be done. I wouldn't want to be the one etching the circuit board though... Nor the one who has to re-solder a blown LED into that mess
Old 10-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Sanduguero

I needddddddddddddd HElP

MOney is available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want them!!!!!!! Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 01:56 PM

I needddddddddddddd HElP

MOney is available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want them!!!!!!! Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like, I said... I work for an LED manufacturer. I would be willing to make you a circuit board (protoboard, not breadboard) with the brightest LEDs on the market, resistors, and wires for you to hook up to, but you are going to have to cut up your housing. If you are willing to do the cutting, let me know the size of the board you want (exact), and I'll make 'em for you for free.

Stop beggin' and start cuttin'.

Let me know... I'm dead serious.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:10 PM

Example

Here's an example of a design I did for a public transit train application.

It has both red and amber automotive LEDs and a brake/tail circuit for bright/dim.

I can make something similar to this in any size array.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Sanduguero

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
[B]

Like, I said... I work for an LED manufacturer. I would be willing to make you a circuit board (protoboard, not breadboard) with the brightest LEDs on the market, resistors, and wires for you to hook up to, but you are going to have to cut up your housing. If you are willing to do the cutting, let me know the size of the board you want (exact), and I'll make 'em for you for free.

uhm i was thinking sending the new brake light housing to you and then you can do the exact replica... i dont have no tools to cut or open "i will trust you" with this... and you will get something out of this trust me!!!

CAN WE DO THAT INSTEAD...Say Yeah please...lol
no am dead serious too i will compensate your work and how knows you might get more people wanting your skills!!! let me know my email is
jairo02@optonline.net
Thank you very much.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

How much would you charge for something like this? I assume we would have to open the housing, figure out the size/shape of the led board and then let you know? I suppose I could maybe use some peg board(like the board you hang things on) and shape it the exact size you need. But how close to the plastic lense should I measure it to? And how would the board attach to the plastic housing? ie.. maybe drill some holes in the led board(on the sides) and the cut housings? In that case, the board it'self would have to be slightly bigger than the led field. Can you also do designs? Like a circle or oval provided we indicate exactly where we want it on the board?

Thanks and sorry for the numnutz questions. I'm a noobie on this

Old 10-29-2002, 02:27 PM

2K2MAXSE-RIOUS : would you be able to make a single row of superbright red LED's in a length of 40 inches?
Old 10-29-2002, 02:32 PM

We have an engineering department that could take the guesswork out of it and design the perfect solution, but we will need a sample of the brake light housing that we can play with. I sure as he11 don't want to give up my set!! I would hate to use someone's only set, so a spare would be better. I'm pretty sure that the 2K, 2K1, and 2K2 are all the same except for the color of the outer lens, which won't matter for what we're doing. As far as mounting is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem. Even a silicon based epoxy would work fine, since you should never have to remove the board once it's installed. By the way, we use the best of the best... none of that offshore crap that's filling the market right now.

I wouldn't charge anything for the design work. The engineers and I work very close, and they would love to help me out on something fun like this. As for the unit price... it depends on how many LEDs, and how big and complex the PCB is.

I can give a ballpark once the design is close to completion.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by big h
2K2MAXSE-RIOUS : would you be able to make a single row of superbright red LED's in a length of 40 inches?
40 inches is too long of a board. Our prototype machine can only run as long as ~14" boards. 40" boards have to be ordered from a board house. That would run around $300-$500 for 10-20 boards.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks! I of course was thinking about my 3-gen But I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost. I don't know if would be $50 or $750

We have an engineering department that could take the guesswork out of it and design the perfect solution, but we will need a sample of the brake light housing that we can play with. I sure as he11 don't want to give up my set!! I would hate to use someone's only set, so a spare would be better. I'm pretty sure that the 2K, 2K1, and 2K2 are all the same except for the color of the outer lens, which won't matter for what we're doing. As far as mounting is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem. Even a silicon based epoxy would work fine, since you should never have to remove the board once it's installed. By the way, we use the best of the best... none of that offshore crap that's filling the market right now.

I wouldn't charge anything for the design work. The engineers and I work very close, and they would love to help me out on something fun like this. As for the unit price... it depends on how many LEDs, and how big and complex the PCB is.

Old 10-29-2002, 03:57 PM

way off topic here.......that schematic reminds me of my ITT TECH days!!!lol.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Ballpark???

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Thanks! I of course was thinking about my 3-gen But I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost. I don't know if would be $50 or $750

The expensive part, I'd estimate close to a $1 for each LED in 25-100 quantities, however 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS should be able to get them for considerably less in quantity.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

someone give up a spare..... :thinking: didnt emax break like 4 of these taillights-- maybe he has a spare
Old 10-29-2002, 04:28 PM
lcf

I'm down to buy something like this...
Old 10-29-2002, 04:29 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

:thinking: didnt emax break like 4 of these taillights-- maybe he has a spare

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:20 PM

I don't post much anymore, but this is a project of mine. I am planning on ripping the CHMSL LED light off of a newer Astro or Blazer and mounting it to my trunk (eliminating the interior halogen 3rd brake light) and have been looking at options for LED brakelights to go with the trunk light.

I would be VERY interested in having my taillights converted to LED brakelights, but I'll be happy to keep my halogen turn signals.

Put me down for this growing list of people interested in a LED board for our brake lights.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Sanduguero

2K2MAXSE-RIOUS:

I am willing to donate to the cause of this project, when can we arrange this project i will buy a new set and send it to you....
can this work? and for everyone else BACKOFF!!!! lol just joking!!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:47 AM

2K2MAXSE-RIOUS:

I am willing to donate to the cause of this project, when can we arrange this project i will buy a new set and send it to you....
can this work? and for everyone else BACKOFF!!!! lol just joking!!
I can start anytime. It would take 2-3 weeks for design and first article sample. The first to donate the set gets the first article for free. It looks like Playero might be the lucky one!

Feel free to email me when you're ready:
smerino@ddp-leds.com
Old 10-30-2002, 12:53 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I can start anytime. It would take 2-3 weeks for design and first article sample. The first to donate the set gets the first article for free. It looks like Playero might be the lucky one!

Feel free to email me when you're ready:
smerino@ddp-leds.com
You've got mail...
Old 10-30-2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe

You've got mail...
Way to make the first move man, I'll definitely be in for a set of these bad boys
Old 01-12-2004, 03:55 AM

Whatever happened to this production work? Did anyone their LEDs up and running.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:41 AM

He does have led side markers now. I don't know about tails.