5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Having Problems w/ my Crimestopper Alarm....Feedback Needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Having Problems w/ my Crimestopper Alarm....Feedback Needed!!!!

Professional Audio & Security
8711 Ogden Avenue
Lyons, IL 60534
708-442-8711

I got a Crimestopper CS-2015FM Alarm installed there on 10/11/02. Let me start from the beginning. So I talk to Chris there on WED. 10/09 & he tells me this alarm is great & no problem to install it they've done many & have certified installers. I also researched the web & org on this crimestopper alarm & nothing bad ever said. I also researched the shop & found out they hooked up the Kenwood Camero there & that install was sweet so trusted them.

Dropped my car off @ 9a on 10/11/02 & they said will be done by end of day. Get a call @ 5p from owner that car is halfway done & they wont be able to finish....I asked him what time they started....he said 3p. I b!tched him out on why did I drop my car off @ 9a per their request so they can install it early in the morning for me & they wound up starting late. He apolized no excuse....told him I needed car done by noon next day 10/12 (b/c I wanted to go up to the Busse Woods Maxima meet). He said no problem.

Next day rolls by & my car wound up being done @ 4p. I told him fine no rush b/c I didnt want a half-a$$ job done b/c I was rushing them, so told them to take their time. Get home & find out my sensor is extremely low....I mean I can bang on the window & nothing, they wire my Blue LED's in my door to alarm & my Varad Gothic Scanner to alarm-- but problem w/ this is that if I remote start car first from remote the LED's & Scanner doesnt turn off??? I paid for a Hood pin & Trunk pin to install w/ my alarm & they never installed either or-- But they charged me for it??? Also when I remote started my car from my remote it would only turn on 2 out of 5 times--- the others times it cranks like it wants to start but can't....

So I call & talk to owner Nick the following Business day (10/14/02) & tell him all these problems. He said to make appointment & they will look into it. Also stated they had problems w/ my remote starter & tapped it to a wire & it 'kinda' worked so they left it like that. Told him my car was trusted by certified installers & if I wanted people to guess wires to install my alarm then I would of hired my 13yr. old brother to install it. He got pi$$ed at this statement & said they do quality work & to bring it in.

So I drop it off 9a on 10/15/02. Go pick it up & try the sensor first & nothing. So installer comes out & cranks it up--- I'm happy w/ that b/c it goes off now on a tap or bump. Checked the engine start & starts fine now. But the LED's & Scanner he claimed he just wired it to ignition b/c to high off voltage to wire to alarm system-- so they basically go off all the time unless the car is started--- even if I arm or disarm the alarm they're going off-- told him that cheesy if I want to show somebody my car & alarm is dis-armed & lights are still blinking...he said he can put a switch in there for a $25 charge. Told him I'll research & make sure he's telling the truth first. They installed a Trunk pin & forgot to check out the Hood Pin....when I get home I noticed they forgot to install Hood pin.
I just tell myself I'll go back when I have time.

Ok its now 10/25/02 & my alarm starts acting up on me. I will disarm alarm & open door & my FACTORY ALARM will start going off....& it wont shut off unless I go grab the OEM remote & press the unlock button. So, I'm like ok just happened 1 time maybe a glitch. Didnt drive car all weekend. Drive it yesterday & 3 times the same $hit happened. And my remote start now sometimes acts up & doesnt wanna make car start-- like 1 out of 10 times now. I call today & b!tch again & they know me so I'll be dropping off my car again.......

What do you guys think I should do or request? I already told myself that 3 strikes they're out....meaning if after this time, if I get another problem & they can't fix it right, I'm going to tell them to un-install my alarm & I want a full refund. If they say no, well good thing I have prepaid legal & have my attorney send them a letter, etc.

Do you think its the alarm Crimestopper that's doing this or the way they installed it?

I am sooooooo pi$$ed.......

p.s.-- I know long story---
Old 10-29-2002, 03:05 PM

I believe they aint hook up the factory arm and disarm wires. If your Crimestopper unit has that output, get them to hook it up. I believe that unit does.

Dixit
Old 10-29-2002, 03:31 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah.. I have gotten mixed answers about remote start. The Clifford is about the only one I've heard that will do a reasonable job. Even then, I've heard the Clifford doesnt always start unless you wire the ignition sensing inside the engine bay. That takes more than just a 'certified' tech. Most of the shops I went to said they'd rather not do autostart on my max unless I insisted.

You definately have to wire into the SECU. And you *DEFINATELY* have to be careful with the SECU. The SECU doesnt just go out, it starts doing all kinds of bizarre and annoying, difficult to diagnose stuff. You dont want any clowns tapping on to it.

Now, that said, anyone following directions could wire that alarm (except for autostart) safely, but I think they have shown they cant follow even the most simple direction/request you've given them, what would be different about the installers guide for the maxima? I doubt they are paying attention. Get as much back and take it somewhere else. You might even consider having it removed elsewhere, hand it back to them and call your CC company as they have not delivered on the promised service or product.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by TimW
You definately have to wire into the SECU. And you *DEFINATELY* have to be careful with the SECU. The SECU doesnt just go out, it starts doing all kinds of bizarre and annoying, difficult to diagnose stuff. You dont want any clowns tapping on to it.
You sure about this? I been told the max is very easy. Even DaveB showed me what to do and what wires need to be tapped. As long as they tapped the right ones nothing can go wrong.

I totally agree with you if they tapped the WRONG wires.

Dixit
Old 10-29-2002, 04:26 PM
lcf

I don't know what my installer did... but my Autopage starts EVERY time. The only problem I have is that it over-cranks 1 out of every 10 remote starts for at least 5 additional seconds. Worse than nails on a chalkboard!! I'm going to try to get this taken care of soon as I can... which is a long way off still. Maybe around thanksgiving time.

Tim, how's your Autopage holding up? You ever hookup the remote start?
Old 10-29-2002, 04:26 PM

Get as much back and take it somewhere else. You might even consider having it removed elsewhere, hand it back to them and call your CC company as they have not delivered on the promised service or product.
I paid cash....thats the last time I pay cash & start using my CC
Old 10-29-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

You sure about this? I been told the max is very easy. Even DaveB showed me what to do and what wires need to be tapped. As long as they tapped the right ones nothing can go wrong.

Dixit
I was told by 5 other shops before I went to this last shop to get it installed that my car is a PITA to install an autostart....
Old 10-29-2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by lcf
I don't know what my installer did... but my Autopage starts EVERY time. The only problem I have is that it over-cranks 1 out of every 10 remote starts for at least 5 additional seconds. Worse than nails on a chalkboard!! I'm going to try to get this taken care of soon as I can... which is a long way off still. Maybe around thanksgiving time.

Tim, how's your Autopage holding up? You ever hookup the remote start?

Anybody other 5th gen w/ aftermarket auotstart alarm having problems???
Old 10-29-2002, 04:37 PM
lcf

Hey Fil, if you want to know the name of the shop I had my Autopage installed at let me know. It's in South Holland. A bit far from you though eh? The guys are cool as hell and they do good work.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
right, read the next paragraph.. its a simple deal.. but you know how bad a flaky SECU can be. By careful, I mean using a digital meter and testing/tracing all the wires first. Yeah, with the guide, it couldnt be easier.. but some impatient slacker who may not take into account that sometimes the DEI charts doesnt match = trouble.

Nah, Autopage is still in the box been traveling too much to do it.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by lcf
Hey Fil, if you want to know the name of the shop I had my Autopage installed at let me know. It's in South Holland. A bit far from you though eh? The guys are cool as hell and they do good work.
I'm going to wait to see how this turns out then I'll let you know....but I'm thinking that my next alarm will be Compustar Alarm .....Anybody hear anything good or bad on this alarm????

p.s.-- I love those legal services....I had 2 issues w/ my CC cleared up, & my Nextel Billing cleared my acct & waived termination fee...
Old 10-29-2002, 05:08 PM
lcf

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

I'm going to wait to see how this turns out then I'll let you know....but I'm thinking that my next alarm will be Compustar Alarm .....Anybody hear anything good or bad on this alarm????

p.s.-- I love those legal services....I had 2 issues w/ my CC cleared up, & my Nextel Billing cleared my acct & waived termination fee...
I hear the Compustar is the best out there. But I heard their pager is bulky as hell. I wanted something to fit nicely on my keychain.

And about the Prepaid Legal... NIIIICE. Good to hear. Also, has your boy MIGUEL signed up yet?

Old 10-29-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by lcf
I hear the Compustar is the best out there. But I heard their pager is bulky as hell. I wanted something to fit nicely on my keychain.

And about the Prepaid Legal... NIIIICE. Good to hear. Also, has your boy MIGUEL signed up yet?

you saw that actually thats my dad....I'll have him signed up by friday or earlier! just gotta find time to do it w/ him on the computer...might have more people soon...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 PM
lcf

you saw that actually thats my dad....I'll have him signed up by friday or earlier! just gotta find time to do it w/ him on the computer...might have more people soon...
Sweet.

Just msg me on aim and let me know who's signed up at your leisure. I will check with my boy Edvin in Illinois and I'll paypal your referral bonus!

Old 10-29-2002, 08:53 PM

yeah.. I have gotten mixed answers about remote start. The Clifford is about the only one I've heard that will do a reasonable job. Even then, I've heard the Clifford doesnt always start unless you wire the ignition sensing inside the engine bay.
I have a Clifford alarm with remote start, and it has worked for me every time so far. *Knocks on wood* No over cranking, never not starting. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by D Love

I have a Clifford alarm with remote start, and it has worked for me every time so far. *Knocks on wood* No over cranking, never not starting. Maybe I'm just lucky?
no, you had an installer that knew what he was doing

appearently most of the newer alarms do a reasonable job with voltage and/or tach sensing. Simply tapping the closest tach wire isnt enough on the max.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:59 PM

Question for anybody who knows the answer: Is wiring an alarm/remote start on a 5th gen the same on a 4th gen....or is there major differences?
Old 10-30-2002, 07:16 AM
lcf

Question for anybody who knows the answer: Is wiring an alarm/remote start on a 5th gen the same on a 4th gen....or is there major differences?
The 5th gen is a bit more complicated because of the chip.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf

Check with Myktek, he has the Compustar alarm. The pager is small, not bulky at all.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

Check with Myktek, he has the Compustar alarm. The pager is small, not bulky at all.