5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 10:02 PM

Exhaust question

I've been looking through previous posts but could not find the info I was looking for. Is anyone else here running a Place racing CAI, Cattman Y-pipe, Cattman B-pipe, and the stock muffler on a '00/'01 Maxima? I also have the Cattman Muffler section but it was way too loud (I thought my ears were gonna bleed). I turned right around and had the stock muffler reinstalled (I only put 3 miles on the Cattman muffler). With the Cattman muffler installed, the car seemed to rev quicker. Since I had the stock muffler reinstalled, it seems the car is as quick as it was stock. I'm hoping this will change once the ECU adjusts to the new setup. Maybe my butt dyno is using the louder=faster calculator. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:10 PM

I would say that the stock muffler is better that any aftermarket one...giving more HP-there's a valve that opens up above 3500 that creates an add'l backpressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I would say that the stock muffler is better that any aftermarket one...giving more HP-there's a valve that opens up above 3500 that creates an add'l backpressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's definitely a great design, but its been dynoed to cost you 1-3 hp and like 2-4 tq. It would be worth it to keep it quiet though.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:09 AM

A straight-through muffler will provide better flow and slightly better horsepower than the OEM variable capacity muffler. The sacrifice (or advantage, depending upon your personal taste) in using a straight-through design is noise. And the valve that opens up at around 2,500 RPM (not 3,500 rpm) relieves rather than increases backpressure.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by y2kse
straight-through muffler will provide better flow and slightly better horsepower than the OEM variable capacity muffler. The sacrifice (or advantage, depending upon your personal taste) in using a straight-through design is noise. And the valve that opens up at around 2,500 RPM (not 3,500 rpm) relieves rather than increases backpressure.
ok at 2500 rpm, but what about Nissan making claims that OEM muffler is creating a dual exhaust-like effect when that valve is open. There is nothing that can relieve (ahem) the backpressure like a dual exhaust. Can aftermarket muffler do that? Is it due to another chamber in the stock muffler?
Old 10-30-2002, 11:00 AM

ok at 2500 rpm, but what about Nissan making claims that OEM muffler is creating a dual exhaust-like effect when that valve is open. There is nothing that can relieve (ahem) the backpressure like a dual exhaust. Can aftermarket muffler do that? Is it due to another chamber in the stock muffler?
I hope it can becuase i just got an aftermarket one
Old 10-30-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Exhaust question

Originally posted by 2K1Lustre
I've been looking through previous posts but could not find the info I was looking for. Is anyone else here running a Place racing CAI, Cattman Y-pipe, Cattman B-pipe, and the stock muffler on a '00/'01 Maxima? I also have the Cattman Muffler section but it was way too loud (I thought my ears were gonna bleed). I turned right around and had the stock muffler reinstalled (I only put 3 miles on the Cattman muffler). With the Cattman muffler installed, the car seemed to rev quicker. Since I had the stock muffler reinstalled, it seems the car is as quick as it was stock. I'm hoping this will change once the ECU adjusts to the new setup. Maybe my butt dyno is using the louder=faster calculator. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
What is a butt dyno?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Maxima Pilot

The OEM muffler is designed to maintain

reasonably high BP at low revs to improve torque then when exhaust flow reaches a certain pressure a valve opens to allow a secondary circuit to open up & flow better. It has nothing to do with RPMs but with gas flow volume...meaning that in neutral you can rev it to 7000 rpms and because it's a no-load condition the gas flow will be light and you'll still be pumping thru one pipe but under load -accelerating- the gas flow will be large, the bypass valve will open and you'll get the better flow at high rpms/gas flow.

That's why at idle and low RPMs you'll see (vapor if it's cold) or feel (with your hand) exhaust flowing our of just one of the two pipes.

An aftermarket exhaust may (MAY) get u betwen 2 and 5 HP at the top end bu you'll lose low and mid-range RPM torque.

BTW, this technology was first introduced by Yamaha did with their EXUP valve on their first 600 cc (may have been a 500cc) rice rocket..indeed, they patented it, now patent has expired, other folks are using it.

Consider this the low-tech VIAS or 'variable timing' of the muffler system
Old 10-30-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: The OEM muffler is designed to maintain

Originally posted by Galo
reasonably high BP at low revs to improve torque then when exhaust flow reaches a certain pressure a valve opens to allow a secondary circuit to open up & flow better. It has nothing to do with RPMs but with gas flow volume...meaning that in neutral you can rev it to 7000 rpms and because it's a no-load condition the gas flow will be light and you'll still be pumping thru one pipe but under load -accelerating- the gas flow will be large, the bypass valve will open and you'll get the better flow at high rpms/gas flow.

That's why at idle and low RPMs you'll see (vapor if it's cold) or feel (with your hand) exhaust flowing our of just one of the two pipes.

An aftermarket exhaust may (MAY) get u betwen 2 and 5 HP at the top end bu you'll lose low and mid-range RPM torque.

BTW, this technology was first introduced by Yamaha did with their EXUP valve on their first 600 cc (may have been a 500cc) rice rocket..indeed, they patented it, now patent has expired, other folks are using it.

Consider this the low-tech VIAS or 'variable timing' of the muffler system
I definitely know that little valve is doin it's thing. The tone of the exhaust changes as I decelerate. You can hear when the valve closes. It was kind of weird at first because the tone just drops off. Works really well from the sleeper aspect though.