5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is this normal for a 6sp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 07:58 PM

Is this normal for a 6sp?

I just got out of the 1000 mile break in period and finally got a chance to "get on" the gas on my new Max.

Here's the thing, when I am accelerating fast and take my foot off the gas to engage the clutch, the engine seems to hold the rev for a second rather then going down like every other car I ever owned.

Is this normal? It's really not a problem when I'm driving slow because the revs will go back down by the time I release the clutch. However, when I'm going fast I find myself waiting for the revs to come down before I release the clutch in fear that I'm going to do some damage.

Has anyone else had this? Is this normal or what?

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Is this normal for a 6sp?

Originally posted by spta97
I just got out of the 1000 mile break in period and finally got a chance to "get on" the gas on my new Max.

Here's the thing, when I am accelerating fast and take my foot off the gas to engage the clutch, the engine seems to hold the rev for a second rather then going down like every other car I ever owned.

Is this normal? It's really not a problem when I'm driving slow because the revs will go back down by the time I release the clutch. However, when I'm going fast I find myself waiting for the revs to come down before I release the clutch in fear that I'm going to do some damage.

Thanks.
I believe its pretty normal. My understanding is that it is emissions related, but I could be wrong. I believe this has actually been discussed before.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:02 PM

It happens in my 6sp, too.

IIRC, it IS emissions related (I'm pretty sure)

Suddenly dropping throttle does something that catalysts don't like, I think. The emissions control lets the throttle off slowly enough to prevent that. (I'm less sure that this is correct.)
Old 10-30-2002, 09:07 PM

I am not exactly sure but here is my theory. A larger displacement engine w/ more cylinders tends to be harder for the Ravving to drop. Because there is more momentum in the motions "UP and Down" within the cylinders. Also VQ35DE has aluminum light weight pistons, which makes this engine a "high ravving"(For a 3.5L)engine. So its OK for the engine to ravv as long as its not nitting the Redline too often.

Example,

Integra 1.8L 4 cylinder will drop more quickly from 5000RPM if you let the gas pedal off, Than comepare to a DODGE VIPER w/ 8.0L V10 which will come down more slowly because there is more momentum within the pistons.

Again, this is just my theory I could be wrong but I thought I might give it a shot.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:37 PM

I think its cause it makes shifting smoother. Try shifting fast from 1st to 2nd, etc. Works pretty good. If RPM drops suddenly between shifts there will jerking. It is all in the CPU.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by nismotech
I am not exactly sure but here is my theory. A larger displacement engine w/ more cylinders tends to be harder for the Ravving to drop. Because there is more momentum in the motions "UP and Down" within the cylinders. Also VQ35DE has aluminum light weight pistons, which makes this engine a "high ravving"(For a 3.5L)engine. So its OK for the engine to ravv as long as its not nitting the Redline too often.

Example,

Integra 1.8L 4 cylinder will drop more quickly from 5000RPM if you let the gas pedal off, Than comepare to a DODGE VIPER w/ 8.0L V10 which will come down more slowly because there is more momentum within the pistons.

Again, this is just my theory I could be wrong but I thought I might give it a shot.
I would strongly suspect that the flywheel has much more effect on this than the weight of the pistons, however I'll stick with the emissions control theory.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the same symptom.

CALLING ALL NISSAN TECH's!!! Fill us in.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:19 AM
Maxima Pilot

It is emissions related, not anything to

do with heavy flywheels, etc....otherwise you would see the same effect revving up as well.

The Max has a damper on the throttle (mechanical on the old Maxes, electronically contolled by the ECU on the newer Maxes) that drops RPMs/throttle gradually to avoid over-enrichening the mixture for the longevity of the pre-cats.

nuthin u can do about it on the new Maxes....
Old 10-31-2002, 09:11 AM

Re: It is emissions related, not anything to

Originally posted by Galo
do with heavy flywheels, etc....otherwise you would see the same effect revving up as well.

The Max has a damper on the throttle (mechanical on the old Maxes, electronically contolled by the ECU on the newer Maxes) that drops RPMs/throttle gradually to avoid over-enrichening the mixture for the longevity of the pre-cats.

Lighter flywheel?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its the weight of the flywheel - possibly for emissions reasons. My friend has an M3 and his was the same way. He just installed a lightweight flywheel and now the RPM's just drop immediately. He said it actually hurt his 1/4 mile times because the engine doesn't hold RPM's anymore. I'd also think that if the rpm's are constantly dropping rapidly that it could do some damage over time.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:39 AM
Maxima Pilot

I'll say it again..it's not the flywheel..if it was

the flywheel you would see the same effect if you blipped the engine in neutral and if you do that you'll see that the VQs have among the lowest 'flywheel effects' of any other engine in the world

Your friends' experience with the M3 has nothing to do with the Maxes issue which is controled by the throttle....I know because I've had Bimmers..I know how they work, this 'slowed throttle retard' on the Maxes is not found on the Bimmer
Old 10-31-2002, 09:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I'll say it again..it's not the flywheel..if it was

the flywheel you would see the same effect if you blipped the engine in neutral and if you do that you'll see that the VQs have among the lowest 'flywheel effects' of any other engine in the world

Your friends' experience with the M3 has nothing to do with the Maxes issue which is controled by the throttle....I know because I've had Bimmers..I know how they work, this 'slowed throttle retard' on the Maxes is not found on the Bimmer
Damn man - simmer down, get another coffee...
Old 10-31-2002, 10:15 AM
swallac2

Just wait until he feels the hesitation

Old 10-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Maxima Pilot

swallac...and this means....

I'm slow today as u can see...
Old 10-31-2002, 11:03 AM
swallac2

Re: swallac...and this means....

I'm slow today as u can see...
Sorry, do a search for hesitation and you will find a bunch of threads pertaining to 2k2 and 2k3 6 Speeds and hesitation. It's a problem that we all have and no one has found a fix yet.

Old 10-31-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: swallac...and this means....

Originally posted by swallac2

Sorry, do a search for hesitation and you will find a bunch of threads pertaining to 2k2 and 2k3 6 Speeds and hesitation. It's a problem that we all have and no one has found a fix yet.
Will do, I just had no idea what to search for
Old 10-31-2002, 01:31 PM
I miss the .org!

Yup, I have it too...just thought I'd chime in...
Old 10-31-2002, 06:59 PM

My 2000 5 speed does the same thing. I know the "large" displacement of the engine is BS because my 2000 Camaro SS with a 5.7L didn't do it.

Sam
Old 11-01-2002, 04:17 AM

Read this sentence.

It's part of the emissions controls.

Now read that again, for comprehension.

It did this on an '85 Toyota Tercel!

Some cars it's mechanical, some it's electronic, but it's for emissions. Sudden throttle chop makes for overrich mixture (briefly) which sends out unburned hydrocarbons. I think that it also reduces the life of the catalytic converter, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:18 PM

Re: It is emissions related, not anything to

Pre-cats: boooooo

Just take em off :-)

Old 11-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Is this normal for a 6sp?

Originally posted by spta97

Thanks.
ya mine does it too, it's teh electronic throttle control that does it. it makes a easy 1-2 shift very hard to do, esp witht eh long clutch throw.