5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

why is my car pulling to the left?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:42 PM

why is my car pulling to the left?????

i've had my alignment done and redone to death. i took in it four different times to three different alignment shops. all say it's right within spec. i've seen the printouts and sure enough, i'm right there within factory spec for all settings. but my car still pulls to the left when driving. not so much more when braking.
i've checked my tire pressure and they're even.

the two front tires are new cuz i had to replace them due to uneven treadwear exposing steel belts in the old ones. and now with all the alignments, i'm convinced it's not a wheel alignment issue.

when i had the two new tires installed i also had the wheels rotated so that i'm pretty sure it's not a damaged wheel causing this.

i'm fresh out of ideas and don't want continued uneven treadwear.

anyone out there have something new?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: why is my car pulling to the left?????

You sure you don't have bent rims? Dealer said mine are, and I notice car pulls to one side.

Originally posted by serin
i've had my alignment done and redone to death. i took in it four different times to three different alignment shops. all say it's right within spec. i've seen the printouts and sure enough, i'm right there within factory spec for all settings. but my car still pulls to the left when driving. not so much more when braking.

the two front tires are new cuz i had to replace them due to uneven treadwear exposing steel belts in the old ones. and now with all the alignments, i'm convinced it's not a wheel alignment issue.

when i had the two new tires installed i also had the wheels rotated so that i'm pretty sure it's not a damaged wheel causing this.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:37 AM

Even air pressure in tires? I have drifting problems like that if my air pressure is just a little bit off in any tire...maybe?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Post your alignemnt specs. Lets have a look at whats really going on here. You can be within specs on both sides, but it's the difference in camber from left to right that will cause your car to pull.

For instance, if the camber on the left is -.8 and the right is -.1 your car is within specs but will most likely pull to the right slightly. Most alignment shops don't adjust the camber on our cars because technically it's not adjustable. But the play in the bolt holes on the strut will allow for about a deg. of camber adjustment.

Lets see what your car is tracking at. Post the specs.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:28 AM

is it torque steer? Since having the 2k3 aligned, I've noticed that it drives straight at steady speed (or in neutral), but under moderate to heavy acceleration goes left slightly.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:16 AM

Re: Re: why is my car pulling to the left?????

Originally posted by Maximax2

is it torque steer? Since having the 2k3 aligned, I've noticed that it drives straight at steady speed (or in neutral), but under moderate to heavy acceleration goes left slightly.
you need to lower your car
Old 10-31-2002, 01:10 PM

Don't know the answer, but I had the same thing on my 03. Not toque steer, but just drifting on the highway. After I took it back to the dealer for the alignment they said it was off and they fixed it. However, it still seems to pull. Now though, instead of only to the left some times to the right!. I don't feel like having any more scratches on the rims so I'm just holding on tighter
Old 10-31-2002, 05:42 PM
KTM

Check here for the answer (maybe, at least some more info):

TSB
Old 10-31-2002, 08:45 PM

My car does the same thing...pulls to the left ever so slightly. It started doing it after I installed my springs & new tires/wheels. I did them all at the same time, so it's hard to tell what caused it. All I know is that all the shops I talked to told me conflicting sttories, so I basically just put up with it. I guess it's the price for having mods.

Tony