5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Passanger Side Keyhole

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 02:33 PM

I noticed this a few months back after I bought My 2000 SE Maxima. THERES NO KEYHOLE ON THE PASSANGER SIDE DOOR!!!!!!!! Whats up with that????? Ive owned a good amount of cars over the years and this is the first car that does not have this. How strange. Im sure all of you know this about your Maximas. Any of you know why Nissan does this this? Ive noticed it on a 2000 Infinity I30 also.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i think honda and toyota are doing the same thing. i think it's cuz everyone uses the remote now instead of the keyholes to open the doors. i bet that the only reason they put it on the drivers side is just in case the remote runs outa juice. in otherwords using the key to get into the car is a last resort. it's also a way they keep costs down.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by MaximaZero
i think honda and toyota are doing the same thing. i think it's cuz everyone uses the remote now instead of the keyholes to open the doors. i bet that the only reason they put it on the drivers side is just in case the remote runs outa juice. in otherwords using the key to get into the car is a last resort. it's also a way they keep costs down.
I remember a few years ago Mazda did this with one of their cars...only it was the trunk. There was no key-hole for the trunk! I can't remember which model or what year it was...but I think it was the 626. I'm not a Mazda fan.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:06 PM
01PearlGLEMAX

Key pad

What ever happened to the key pad?? i loved that feature on my 1991. i would just leave the keys on the ground and lcok the car. now they have the keyless entry ON THE KEY. whats up with that what if you lock you keys in the car? i think some explorers had the key pad also.

Old 12-27-2000, 03:24 PM
Got Bent?

The lack of a passenger side keyhole also struck me as a bit strange. But then I realized that I never use any of the keyholes at all so it really didn't matter.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:51 PM

Re: Key pad

Originally posted by 01PearlGLEMAX
What ever happened to the key pad?? i loved that feature on my 1991. i would just leave the keys on the ground and lcok the car. now they have the keyless entry ON THE KEY. whats up with that what if you lock you keys in the car? i think some explorers had the key pad also.
}
Here is a tip for you: Always lock your car with the remote..then you should never lock your keys inside.

I have to admit that the keypad was great..but now you can't even roll down the windows by remote like you could on my '97 Max. I miss that feature too.

Ford products have had the keypads for over 20 years now. It started with the Lincolns and has trickled down to ALMOST EVERY Ford product.
Old 12-27-2000, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Dave Lopez
I noticed this a few months back after I bought My 2000 SE Maxima. THERES NO KEYHOLE ON THE PASSANGER SIDE DOOR!!!!!!!! Whats up with that????? Ive owned a good amount of cars over the years and this is the first car that does not have this. How strange. Im sure all of you know this about your Maximas. Any of you know why Nissan does this this? Ive noticed it on a 2000 Infinity I30 also.

I think that nissan did this to prevent the theft of our fine luxury flagship maximas and does look pretty strange on the the passenger door but actually kinda looks tight thats less youn have to shave on a mod

Old 12-27-2000, 06:48 PM

Re: Key pad

My car automatically unlocks itself if I dont use the keyless entry.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Key pad

Originally posted by max2kgle526
My car automatically unlocks itself if I dont use the keyless entry.
Mine locks itself sometimes when the key is in the ignition with the car on...sux because I have to call someone whos home to come open it for me. Only the driver side does this though, I discovered this this weekend after the 5th time it locked me out. I'm glad the other doors were unlocked I gotta get this fixed. Love this car, but for such a new car, this car has alot of problems. Sorta scared what it will be like when the basic warrenty voids.

Old 12-27-2000, 08:51 PM

sweeeeet

I'm no longer a lurker !!!!

Old 12-28-2000, 02:28 AM

I am Wondering WHY?

You would replace the stock rims and put on a set of Potenzas? If you went and spent the extra money for them why the tires? As for the key hole yeah its nothing new, its been happening on many different makes and models. Its just that the japenese market is catching on. Plus breaking into a cars passenger door (with a key hole) is easier than the driver or should I say preferred. Think of it as a feature.
Old 12-28-2000, 03:45 PM

Re: I am Wondering WHY?

Originally posted by CIRCO
You would replace the stock rims and put on a set of Potenzas? If you went and spent the extra money for them why the tires? As for the key hole yeah its nothing new, its been happening on many different makes and models. Its just that the japenese market is catching on. Plus breaking into a cars passenger door (with a key hole) is easier than the driver or should I say preferred. Think of it as a feature.
Circo, I had the chrome Alessio Futura rims from my last car(Lexus ES 300). I love the chrome 5 spoke look. A day after I bought my 2000 Max, I had the 17 inch Alessio rims installed on the car with the factory Potenza RE 92s. So I had the factory Maxima 6 spoke non chrome rims sitting in my garage with no tires. I put about 4000 miles on the Potenza RE 92s in about 6 months. I always had it in the back of my mind to sell the factory rims and tires from my Max and get a set of new stickier tires. I ended up selling those rims and tires recently and I bought the new set of Potenzas.....RE 730s. So now I have the 17 inch chrome Alessio Futura rims on the car with new Bridgestone Potenza RE 730s. I hope I answered your question.
Old 12-29-2000, 04:01 PM

The only way I figure you can lock your keys in is to completely leave them in the ignition. When the car is on the doors will unlock themselves if you try to use the power lock button and the door is open.
Old 12-29-2000, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
The only way I figure you can lock your keys in is to completely leave them in the ignition. When the car is on the doors will unlock themselves if you try to use the power lock button and the door is open.
I once parked next to a mercedes e320 with the keys in the ignition... Should I have done it?