5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Young04
definitely. i think we can get a class action suit going. i'm definitely down.
yes we can, what a lot of the other guys are missing is that HORSE POWER sells cars in today's market, every car keeps getting more and more hp to be competitive and nissan just said hey, let's toss another 15 on the maxima's numbers so it sounds better then the altima WRONG. they should have told the truth or given us that better flowing intake manifold hehe, sorry got a little bitter there lol.

so this is a way bigger deal then a lot of you guys think, ford had to fix what 6000 SVT's what's nissan gonna do to fix the 100,000 2k2-2k3 maximas

i'll look around today for what's the next step we should take but keep those dynoes coming. i'm sure once this gets going further we could just take a stock auto altima and a stock auto maxima and strap them down at the same time and watch them both spit out 197hp and see what nissan has to say about that.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by pezking4

Can I have it then please?

i'm selling it soon, yuo want it as-is or stock
Old 11-13-2002, 04:52 AM

Sue Nissan, so Nissan loses money, in turn has to use cheaper parts and products in the future. My gosh, how much worse can they make the trannys if they didn't have as much money?
like dmbmax said, you're missing the issue, and you're assuming your point. i agree with everything in his post. if nissan is/was in financial trouble, that should be an incentive NOT to employ poor business tactics. I was on the eclipse forum the other day, and people were going off about how the maxima is the worst in terms of power loss, etc etc.

the american market has evolved to the point where consumers almost blindly believe any manufacturer's claim. only in this country would someone respond to a claim of misrepresentation with, "oohhh, let's think of the COMPANY, it's ok that they were LYING...let's go for a fishing expedition to excuse them with whatever baseless justification possible". this flies in the face of good american business, and there is no reason to give nissan positive reinforcement for LYING so that it may do this AGAIN. THAT will actually hurt nissan MORE in the long run, than if we sue for claim of misrepresentation - since you're so concerned about the welfare of an international company.

point is...if there is verity to the hp claim, there is no reason that nissan shouldn't be inculpated for this. they knowingly and in bad faith misrepresented their product.

that being said, are there any practicing attorneys on this forum who could at least give us a preliminary read on whether we have grounds to sue? i'm thinking class action.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
SR20 and i have been talking and we came onto HP numbers of the G and Z and we're talking about how nissan makes up HP numbers to suit whatever they feel is good at the time and came back to how bad we got screwed with our HP numbers over the altima. So we said, let's sue nissan. I just read an article where some hyundai's were off a few hp and they gave everyone that owned one an extended warranty or something. I think we should try for something but what we need is mostly dynoes and the best are gonna be automatic and stock. This will leave no room for arguement on the 6-spd losing more then the altima 5-spd. they are the same auto tranny. So, thoughts?? ideas??? please post your stock auto 2k2 dynoes here and anyone else with a stock 2k2 dyno do so as well and notate your transmission of choice. i'l gonna start looking for the altima dyno and we'll see if we can do anything with this info. I don't know about you guys but i'd really love to stick one to Nissan for the exceptional service they give. lol. let's go guys.
Count me in as well. I too was on the fence about purchasing the Altima over the Maxima but I decided to go with the Max for the HP. (and the 6 speed). Now Nissan is claiming that the 2003 Altima 3.5 SE to have 245 HP. Where does this leave us? Let's get what we all paid for, 255 HP.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Young04

like dmbmax said, you're missing the issue, and you're assuming your point. i agree with everything in his post. if nissan is/was in financial trouble, that should be an incentive NOT to employ poor business tactics. I was on the eclipse forum the other day, and people were going off about how the maxima is the worst in terms of power loss, etc etc.

the american market has evolved to the point where consumers almost blindly believe any manufacturer's claim. only in this country would someone respond to a claim of misrepresentation with, "oohhh, let's think of the COMPANY, it's ok that they were LYING...let's go for a fishing expedition to excuse them with whatever baseless justification possible". this flies in the face of good american business, and there is no reason to give nissan positive reinforcement for LYING so that it may do this AGAIN. THAT will actually hurt nissan MORE in the long run, than if we sue for claim of misrepresentation - since you're so concerned about the welfare of an international company.

point is...if there is verity to the hp claim, there is no reason that nissan shouldn't be inculpated for this. they knowingly and in bad faith misrepresented their product.

that being said, are there any practicing attorneys on this forum who could at least give us a preliminary read on whether we have grounds to sue? i'm thinking class action.
exactly, the only problem is i don't know the next step there had gotta be a lawyer floating around on the forums somewhere. and like one person said we're gonna need exact dynoes, once this gets going i'd be willing to chip in a few bucks and i'm sure plenty of other owners would too, 10 bucks each grab a stock auto altima and a stock auto maxima at random and dyno then same day same machine and watch them spit out the same numbers and get it all on video ect.....

and kronman, that a good point you made and exactly what i was getting at, how mnay people payed a premium for a maxima because they heard 15 hp more. lots i'm sure.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:06 AM

Does this effect 2k3's too??? Or did they actually get the numbers right for 2k3.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by jamus34
Does this effect 2k3's too??? Or did they actually get the numbers right for 2k3.
2k2-2k3
Old 11-13-2002, 05:11 AM

Well, then I'm in...I like the car...I don't like being lied to.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:14 AM

i'm selling it soon, yuo want it as-is or stock
I wish I could buy it as is. I barely had enough to get my 92 SE. Sorry for the side comments, carry on...
Old 11-13-2002, 06:04 AM
swallac2

with ford i know there was just talk of the decreased hp and i think they admitted it a fixed all the cars. and i'll check for a crank dyno machine but they are rare and expensive and it's HARD to do also. i don't think any other car enthusiats had to sue but nissan is nissan and they won't admit anything i'm sure.
When the Cobra was off it was off by more than 15hp, it was more like 30-40. A lot of those guys were dyno-ing a 230 wheel HP on a motor that was rated 320 crank HP. The Hyundai case was brought to light by a Canadian consumers group I believe and the Mazda problem was also done by a consumer group, but I'm not 100% on that. If you want results you want to take it to a consumer group here in the states. I don't know if that should be the FTC or the BBB or what. A lawsuit would get thrown out without some sort of major group on your side.

Personally I agree with AznWontonboy I don't think it's worth it. The torque numbers are the same so the 15 HP difference is nominal in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:06 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by jamus34
Well, then I'm in...I like the car...I don't like being lied to.
I agree, im in too!

Old 11-13-2002, 06:12 AM

Good comment about the intake claims. But something about sueing a car company over claimed hp and torque kinda makes me feel the same way when I think abou the woman sueing McDonalds because her coffee is too hot. I know that the argument next will be; they took advantage of us, why can't we take advantage of them. Aren't you happy with your car? If yes, I would personally just leave it at that, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I am in a business law class, and we discussed and read about this case. The lady was at fault, but since McDonalds didn't put a warning on the coffee cup, "HOT", or "Will cause extreme burns if spilt", McDonalds was liable, and had to pay the woman MILLIONS! That case is not relevant to this topic....totally different subject matter. I told steve he should contact my dad, he's delt with Nissans alot, bought my 1999 se-l and bought a q-45 for himself from nissan.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:17 AM

All Nissan has to do is show a Dyno with 255HP at the crank and we will all lose. Or they could show some numbers from a Dyno in a windtunnel that show their stock CAI delivers the extra power when the car is moving.

I want my rated HP just as much as the rest of you, but I'm not convinced that we're missing it.

Stereodude
Old 11-13-2002, 07:33 AM

exactly, the only problem is i don't know the next step there had gotta be a lawyer floating around on the forums somewhere. and like one person said we're gonna need exact dynoes, once this gets going i'd be willing to chip in a few bucks and i'm sure plenty of other owners would too, 10 bucks each grab a stock auto altima and a stock auto maxima at random and dyno then same day same machine and watch them spit out the same numbers and get it all on video ect.....

and kronman, that a good point you made and exactly what i was getting at, how mnay people payed a premium for a maxima because they heard 15 hp more. lots i'm sure.
Steve, do you think your new G35 coupe actually has 270hp?
I mean you saying that hp on Maxima is overrated right and I think Emax was saying torque is underatted?

Damn I am confused with this 3.5L engine.

Same thing goes for G35 sedan that supposedly has 260hp, what does it really have?
Old 11-13-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
But don't get me wrong. Im not out to get the better of Nissan, hurt them, make them look bad or extort them for cash or goods. As most of you I only want that extra 15hp that I paid for and was promised.
Couldn't of said it better myself...

The TRUTH is that we were MISLEAD in believing that our cars have 255 hp, and that the Altima has 240hp. It is very important to note that the 255 hp (promised) on the Max was (arguably) the basis of their whole marketing campaign on the car. This is SIGNIFICANT, and inexcusable.

"All we want is the 15hp that we paid for."
Old 11-13-2002, 07:47 AM

Ford is funny... if they want to claim a +15 increase on the new models, they just decrease the HP of the old models for hte model year preceeding the new generation. They did this with the 99/2000 switch over. The duratec engines on the 96-mid 99 taurus were running a 10:1 compression with 200HP. In mid '99, they changed the compression to 9.5:1 or something like that and lost 15 HP or so off the engine so that the '99s only had 185 HP. Then they brought it back up to 10:1 for the Gen 4's (2000+) and Bam! "The 2000 Ford Taurus put down 200 HP, up 15 HP from the previous model year". Come on now Ford, you aren't foolin' anyone!

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 08:02 AM

im in! i am not happy with nissan at all with my current maxima. not enough time spent on the car period. too many problems! let get those F*CKS! BTW my clutch is messing up again.

will
Old 11-13-2002, 08:07 AM

.org,

I agree that you should get what you pay for (255hp is 255hp not 240hp) but, there's also a saying that goes "it's not what you know, its what you can prove".

ie. You would have to duplicate nissan's testing setup and conditions when they dyno'ed the engine. Then if the results that Nissan got (255) is not reproduceable (falls short, less than or equal 240hp) then you have a case. This seems simple but requires dollars to do the testing and then dollars to get a consumer group/gov agency/right lawyers on your side.

The other question left is, how far are you guys willing to go to get nissan to fix this? Count how many 2K2 - 2K3 were produced. Nissan would have to fix these also. You can bet your SHIFT_*** Nissan will bring out the belt fed machine gun. They cannot afford to lose.

I don't want to discourage you guys, hell I'd like to see the .org get some satisfaction from Nissan for once. We are more than overdue with brakes and paint issues that scream SHIFT_nissan_qa_sucks, but be prepared to fight the good fight

pfssh
woosh
Old 11-13-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by johnvt1111

I am in a business law class, and we discussed and read about this case. The lady was at fault, but since McDonalds didn't put a warning on the coffee cup, "HOT", or "Will cause extreme burns if spilt", McDonalds was liable, and had to pay the woman MILLIONS! That case is not relevant to this topic....totally different subject matter. I told steve he should contact my dad, he's delt with Nissans alot, bought my 1999 se-l and bought a q-45 for himself from nissan.
i also leanred about this in business law freshman year (JMU )
what most people dont know is that the McDonalds purposely kept their coffee about 30 degrees hotter than they were supposed to. they kept it at like 180 and it was only supposed to be at 150. or something like that. they did that because McDonalds had studies that showed hotter coffee brought in more money (its just marketing, right? thats why she won; because McDonald's knowingly broke the rules to make more money and figured it wouldnt come back to haunt them. Nissan did the same. they knowingly deceived their customers.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:24 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by Dany

Steve, do you think your new G35 coupe actually has 270hp?
I mean you saying that hp on Maxima is overrated right and I think Emax was saying torque is underatted?

Damn I am confused with this 3.5L engine.

Same thing goes for G35 sedan that supposedly has 260hp, what does it really have?
The ad I saw for the g35coupe yesterday says 280 hp??
Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by johnvt1111

It was overturned in appelate court and she settled for a couple hundred thousand.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:35 AM

I am interested to see how far this thing goes...
Mine is auto and is stock engine/tranny/exhaust wise, only upgrades are aesthetic and handling. I haven't dyno'ed mine but I would be interested to see the numbers for those comparable to mine. It would take one ballsy lawyer to take us as clients...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:36 AM

15 more hp was one of the reason I chose maxima over altima
Old 11-13-2002, 08:36 AM

This thread reminds me of those potential group deals on the Skyline body kit. EVERYONE wants in. But no one will actually get up and do anything about it. Not to rain on the parade, but until the dyno numbers are actually done on MULTIPLE stock vehicles, there is nothing you can do. And I have a feeling that it's going to take a while for someone to dyno their stock cars........
Old 11-13-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by asu174
This thread reminds me of those potential group deals on the Skyline body kit. EVERYONE wants in. But no one will actually get up and do anything about it. Not to rain on the parade, but until the dyno numbers are actually done on MULTIPLE stock vehicles, there is nothing you can do. And I have a feeling that it's going to take a while for someone to dyno their stock cars........
I think if money is needed, we can come up with some way to get some money (i.e. 2k2-2k3 guys/girls donate some money)
Maybe this is not true, but most of the people that think we should let it go are the ones that don't own 2k2-2k3. so i guess in that perspective, they don't really know how we truely feels
Old 11-13-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Newman

horsepower is a number that can be measured. the taste of dr pepper and windows making life easier cant be measured. horsepower isnt an opinion its a mathematical fact. its like buying a set of 25 pound dumb bells that only weigh 15 pounds. you didnt get what you paid for and they cant dispute that. when they use 255 horsepower in their commercials as a selling point it very well SHOULD be the truth.
Exactly. Look into the Miata case. They offered to BUY the cars back. I think we should find a lawyer and see what they say. We have the HP figures to prove it....and since we payed $$ for the "flagship" over the altima, we should be compensated.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
most of the people that think we should let it go are the ones that don't own 2k2-2k3. so i guess in that perspective, they don't really know how we truely feels
I actualy WISH I owned a 2K2 now so I could start some $hit. There's nothing I love more than arguing with companies over "principles". I'm just saying that people in this forum are all talk. I'd be setting up my dyno appt. right now if I had a 2k2....and it was still stock.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by asu174

I actualy WISH I owned a 2K2 now so I could start some $hit. There's nothing I love more than arguing with companies over "principles". I'm just saying that people in this forum are all talk. I'd be setting up my dyno appt. right now if I had a 2k2....and it was still stock.
I would love to help if I could, but I already have frankencar intake for awhile now, and don't have the stock wheels anymore
Old 11-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Blu
the tits

Who would love for nissan to buy there car back???
Old 11-13-2002, 09:16 AM
jjs

Face it gang...all they need do is supply (as has been mentioned) a number of stock vehicles that DO dyno to what is advertised, then claim that others can be higher or lower due to tolerances during manufacture.

Let's get real here...if we can't get a straight answer and remedy to the paint problem that is readily apparent and pervasive, what the heck does anyone here really think is going to be the outcome of this?
Old 11-13-2002, 09:21 AM

Ladies/Gents,
I am definately in, if it comes down that we have to donate money, I will be one of the first to break my check book. It is not a good feeling, when you fell that you have been "had". I bought my Max over the Alti, because of HP also. I really wish that we had some lawyers or someone that knows a lawyer that we can find out who we need to take this to? Cmon people lets get the ball rolling.

For all the other people that feel that we should just shut up and live with it, well everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the next time you go to a resturant and your order does not come out the way you ordered it, don't complain just eat it!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by jjs
Let's get real here...if we can't get a straight answer and remedy to the paint problem that is readily apparent and pervasive, what the heck does anyone here really think is going to be the outcome of this?
Some Nismo stickers to gain back that 15hp
Old 11-13-2002, 09:35 AM

hmmm...

mine is still bone stock in terms of engine mods and wheels/tires...

heck it still has the stock air filter....

got about 13k miles on it since buying it in jan 02...

anyone know of a place in sacramento cali area that i can get it dynoed? if you do please pass on the info...

i haven't much to complaint but heck if i ain't getting what i really paid for then i'll do what it takes to get it. Esecially with something that can be quantified physically and mathematically with a simple test.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:38 AM
OG and counting...

Hell yeah! Count me in. But while we are at it, why don't we go after them for the other issues related to our cars (e.g. paint, fluttering hoods, etc.)
Old 11-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Banned

Here's an idea that may or may not work, not sure. But, what if we contact a car magazine (i.e. Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc etc) and tell them to look into this. They have their own dyno equipment and they can take stock cars from Nissan perform the tests. I think they may be interested in doing this test because it would definitely draw readers, since a lot of Maximas are being sold.

Also, getting stock Maximas should not be a problem if this case gets rolling. Think about it, if this stuff hits the news, then all Maxima owners will see it, and a lot of Maxs remain stock, so those people will bring them in for tests or what not.

Also, what about contacting a consumer watchdog, they may be interested in this since there are a lot of people possibly affected. I think one of these watchdogs is the Better Business Bureau, and they may be interested. If anyone has contacts with any of these places (bureaus, magazines), try to contact them and maybe even show them this thread so that they can see the dissatisfaction.

I totally agree about doing something about this problem. It's not like we bought a $10 item, and something is wrong with it. These are $25-30K cars, and that's a LOT of money for most people. Secondly, the principle behind this is important. As someone mentioned, if this is not stopped, then Nissan will continue to overestimate their horsepower and run bogus ad campaigns. I think something needs to be done about this to (1) rectify the current owners' situation with potentially missing HP, and (2) prevent this type of thing happening in the future by Nissan, and perhaps other manufacturers. I just hope this will not be like the paint chip issue, where a lot of fuss is brought up over here, but not much is done.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
Hell yeah! Count me in. But while we are at it, why don't we go after them for the other issues related to our cars (e.g. paint, fluttering hoods, etc.)
one battle at a time my man.... we gotta win one first, then the next. If you take on the whole war (all issues) at one time, all it will take is for them to shoot us doen on one issue and the rest will start to unravel.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
Who would love for nissan to buy there car back???
CAN I GET A HELL YA!!!!!

will
Old 11-13-2002, 10:05 AM

Emax95 had the right point so far, the Altima is underrated (just look at the torque #s) and who is going to sue Nissan for that?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm game.

Stock 2k2 6spd: 205hp
Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 AM

Seeya later max...

I would love it if something came of this...since about 2 weeks of ownership I have become disgusted with the quality of this POS car...so much so that Im looking for anyway to get out from underneath it...I want another A4...mine had 90k miles and felt a helluva lot better than my max with 9k miles...I wont buy another one! The ONLY reason I bought this one was the 255 HP....

Quick Reply: Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)