5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Variable Capacity Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 07:00 AM

Variable Capacity Mufflers

First of all,
Hi folks. I'm making my way over here from TCCA.

I'm weighing my options for some exhaust upgrades, and one thing that looks very promising is the Variable Capacity Mufflers that your Maximas are using. I've read allot about how they work, but haven't really seen any information about how well they work.

My stock Taurus has a single exhaust system. Some of the older Duratec powered taurus' had a Y pipe in the system. I'm looking at running larger pipe from my cats back and putting in a dual exhaust system. It seams to me that if I run bigger pipe all the way back, I might loose low-end back pressure. If I run smaller pipe, I might keep back pressure, but loose high end power. It would appear that Nissan's Variable Capacity Muffler is the perfect solution to this. I'm worried though that I don't see these VCM offered by anyone else and that I haven't really seen any performance reviews for the muffler.

This given, I figured that the best thing to do was talk to you all who have these mufflers now? Do ya like them? Did you want to upgrade them? I also want to make sure that when I'm flowing out of both pipes, I'm flowing well enough. I don't *think* that will be a problem, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks all,
-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 07:21 AM
jjs

Re: Variable Capacity Mufflers

Originally posted by dant98
First of all,
Hi folks. I'm making my way over here from TCCA.

I'm weighing my options for some exhaust upgrades, and one thing that looks very promising is the Variable Capacity Mufflers that your Maximas are using. I've read allot about how they work, but haven't really seen any information about how well they work.

My stock Taurus has a single exhaust system. Some of the older Duratec powered taurus' had a Y pipe in the system. I'm looking at running larger pipe from my cats back and putting in a dual exhaust system. It seams to me that if I run bigger pipe all the way back, I might loose low-end back pressure. If I run smaller pipe, I might keep back pressure, but loose high end power. It would appear that Nissan's Variable Capacity Muffler is the perfect solution to this. I'm worried though that I don't see these VCM offered by anyone else and that I haven't really seen any performance reviews for the muffler.

This given, I figured that the best thing to do was talk to you all who have these mufflers now? Do ya like them? Did you want to upgrade them? I also want to make sure that when I'm flowing out of both pipes, I'm flowing well enough. I don't *think* that will be a problem, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks all,
-Dan
From what I have read (comaprison 'dyno' tests, butt dynos, etc.) the stock muffler is extremely efficient and often a waste of $$$ and hp to replace. Not sure about fitment to other vehicles, but experience shows a nice liveable noise level with great flow performance. If I EVER need a new muffler, this is one of those rare cases where I will be happy to buy stock parts again.

Now there are others out here who have done full catback swaps, etc. but those are the types who prefer different/higher noise levels...
Old 11-13-2002, 07:41 AM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I am looking for a bit mor rumble for my exhaust. I might cut out the resinator and replace it with a glasspack or something too. I might also out dual tips on the pipes for a simulated quat exhaust, but before I go ordering this $300 part, I'll wait for a few more opinions

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 AM
JET Speed Lab

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I am looking for a bit mor rumble for my exhaust. I might cut out the resinator and replace it with a glasspack or something too. I might also out dual tips on the pipes for a simulated quat exhaust, but before I go ordering this $300 part, I'll wait for a few more opinions

-Dan
if you want duals, why dont you use the SHO exhaust?

as for the stock muffler on our cars, it gives you good low end, but when i ran at the track, my times sucked, i put on an aftermarket muffler and beat my time by .4-.5
Old 11-13-2002, 09:23 AM

I've considered stock duals. The SHOs are not offered anymore (stopped production in '99), though the Gen 3 Taurus ('96-'99) with the duratec engine has a stock Y pipe. I think that the Gen 3 SHO exhaust setup was the same as the Gen 3 duratec, which I don't think gains me much.

I really like the idea of having that spring loaded valve to automatically move from single pipe output to dual pike output as needed. According to your numbers though, it would appear that even at WOT, using 2 pipes just isn't enough flow.

I assume at that point you were running all stock exhaust? I wonder if placing larger pipe before and after the muffler would give sufficiant air flow or if it truly is the muffer that is causing the restriction?

What I'd really like to see is Dynomax or Brola or flowmaster come out swith a variable capacity setup like this or I'd like to find my own exhaust valve that will operate the same way, but could be place on the pipe itself.

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 09:43 AM
JET Speed Lab

I assume at that point you were running all stock exhaust? I wonder if placing larger pipe before and after the muffler would give sufficiant air flow or if it truly is the muffer that is causing the restriction?

-Dan
i replaced my catback piping taking out the resonator as well, but kept the stock muffler on, when i changed it to an aftermarket muffler, my times improved a lot.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:09 AM

Ok, cool!

Also, something interesting.

I was doing some hunting, turns out BMW has something similar, but they use an electronicly controlled valve in the pipe itself.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl104d.htm

I don't think this would easily be modified to work with another car though, cause it would seem to be computer controlled. Cool idea, though I think Nissan has a simpler one. I'm still looking around to see if I can just find some kinda self contained flap valve that could be welded inline.

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 10:10 AM
JET Speed Lab

Ok, cool!

I was doing some hunting, turns out BMW has something similar, but they use an electronicly controlled valve in the pipe itself.

I don't think this would easily be modified to work with another car though, cause it would seem to be computer controlled. Cool idea, though I think Nissan has a simpler one. I'm still looking around to see if I can just find some kinda self contained flap valve that could be welded inline.

-Dan
are you from the taurus board?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:38 AM

Ok, cool!

-Dan
yeah, i posted something about this a little while back but didn't get any response. you can see it here LINK

my question was that i actually saw it perform in the opposite manner in which our mufflers work.
but i guess it's basically the same idea.

just fyi, some of of the 4th gen maximas have installed 5th gen exhausts on them as an upgrade from their 'simple' mufflers. you may want to post in the 4th gen forum and ask for opinions/dynos/differences from the traditional type. that info may be more relavent to what you're trying to do.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:47 AM

are you from the taurus board?
Well now... that depends... do I stop getting replies if I am?

my question was that i actually saw it perform in the opposite manner in which our mufflers work.
but i guess it's basically the same idea.
Hmmm. I thought I read that it did infact work the same way as the nissan exhaust. I could have miss-read though. Or, that beemer had his wires crossed...

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 10:49 AM

Hmmm. I thought I read that it did infact work the same way as the nissan exhaust. I could have miss-read though. Or, that beemer had his wires crossed...

-Dan
well, that's what's confusing. the site explains it working the same way, but what i saw that night was the opposite: open at a stop, closed during acceleration.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:53 AM

As suggested, I went ahead and posted over in the Gen 4 forum too.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=166096

As of the descrepancy, I don't know. Like I said, maybe his wasn't working right. It is electronically controlled, so it is possible the engine computer or the wireing was messed up.

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This may be relevant, but I was wondering, do the 3.5l vq's have a different vcm or are they exactly the same as the 3.0l?
Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 PM

I think I heard that the VCM on the 3.5's were the same except they had chrome tips

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 04:06 PM

I dont think these Variable Mufflers do crap. Its just hype.... even it is gives me 1-2more hp at lower rpms, whats the point is that means loss of 5 on the top end?

Boosted guys need straight through and major air flow, stock will never be enough.

Dixit
Old 11-13-2002, 05:59 PM
JET Speed Lab

-Dan

nah, just that i used to be on one..
Old 11-13-2002, 06:12 PM

Hehe, good to see a fimiliar face

-Dan
Old 11-13-2002, 07:36 PM

Incredible!

I'm constantly amazed at the tripe I see in threads concerning the variable capacity mufflers in our 5th Gen Maximas. There's always someone who continues to espouse the misinformed theory that there's such a thing as "good" backpressure. And then there are those who will try to convince you that replacing the stock muffler will produce an ET reduction of half a second in the quarter mile.

Yeah. Right.

The variable capacity muffler is based on a Skyline design. If it's good enough for a Skyline, it's good enough for your Maxima. And while our OEM muffler compromises some degree of performance in order to keep noise to a minimum, about the most you can accomplish by replacing it with a higher-performance (aka MUCH noisier) muffler is 2-3 FWHP. Dyno tests have proven that conclusively.

BTW, if anyone can deliver a 2-3 FWHP performance mod that will consistently produce an ET reduction of half a second in the quarter mile, sign me up!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
Incredible!

I'm constantly amazed at the tripe I see in threads concerning the variable capacity mufflers in our 5th Gen Maximas. There's always someone who continues to espouse the misinformed theory that there's such a thing as "good" backpressure. And then there are those who will try to convince you that replacing the stock muffler will produce an ET reduction of half a second in the quarter mile.

Yeah. Right.

The variable capacity muffler is based on a Skyline design. If it's good enough for a Skyline, it's good enough for your Maxima. And while our OEM muffler compromises some degree of performance in order to keep noise to a minimum, about the most you can accomplish by replacing it with a higher-performance (aka MUCH noisier) muffler is 2-3 FWHP. Dyno tests have proven that conclusively.

BTW, if anyone can deliver a 2-3 FWHP performance mod that will consistently produce an ET reduction of half a second in the quarter mile, sign me up!
Yeah, half a second seems a *bit* over doing it, but to each thier own :shurg:. Anyway, I'm looking at putting this little guy on my stock Taurus. It has a 3.0 200HP Duratec engine and currently has the stock single exhaust. I think either way I'd be better off with the Nissan muffler, I guess I'm trying to deturmine if the cost = the benefit.

-Dan
Old 11-17-2002, 06:22 AM

Ahem... *bump*
Old 11-17-2002, 07:23 PM

Ahem... *bump*
not sure if there's anything else you need to know.
i don't think there's necessarily any complaints with our stock mufflers, but obviously they're not going to flow as well as aftermarket at wot. if want the best airflow, you might wanna go aftermarket, but of course they'll be LOUD.
other than that, i'm not sure that you'll get significant gains down low (it's arguable if any) by going with the vcm. if you want one tho, check the for sale forums for someone selling their's. you don't wanna pay retail for a stock part.