5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to remove stock stereo??? help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:39 PM

how to remove stock stereo??? help plz.

Hi.
Could someone please post a “how to” replace (remove)your stock cd/tape/radio system?
The links from the how-to faq are dead.
Did the search and came up with nothing.
Tried myself, but afraid that I break something with excessive force.
There should be a simple way but I can’t find it.
Please help!
Old 11-16-2002, 02:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

there's one screw under the ash tray, and then that whole ashtray/ciglighter/shiftersurround part pops off. it's easier if you start popping at the bottom, by the shifter and work up.

then you pop off the two vents above the radio. they just pull right off. watch you don't pry against the soft dash and leave a mark.

then there's two screws under the radio assembly (behind where the ashtray surround was) and two above (behind the vent surround).
and that's seriously it. one screw, 10ish clips, and there's your radio. if they were worth stealing, i think it'd happen more...
Old 11-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

Old 11-17-2002, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by schuss
there's one screw under the ash tray, and then that whole ashtray/ciglighter/shiftersurround part pops off. it's easier if you start popping at the bottom, by the shifter and work up.

then you pop off the two vents above the radio. they just pull right off. watch you don't pry against the soft dash and leave a mark.

then there's two screws under the radio assembly (behind where the ashtray surround was) and two above (behind the vent surround).
and that's seriously it. one screw, 10ish clips, and there's your radio. if they were worth stealing, i think it'd happen more...
thanks for the instructions!!
I'll try it out.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:55 PM

unremovable screws.

thanks again for the instructions - exacltly what I needed to know.
So I got the whole unit out, but now I'm kinda stuck. I can't remove eight screws (four on each side) that hold the tape/cd unit to the installation brackets. The screws are tightened extremely hard and I can't remove them ;((( Is there a special technique or a trick or something to remove them? Or I just have to get a good screwdriver and turn as hard as I can???
Old 11-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Old Timer

Re: unremovable screws.

Originally posted by Teser
thanks again for the instructions - exacltly what I needed to know.
So I got the whole unit out, but now I'm kinda stuck. I can't remove eight screws (four on each side) that hold the tape/cd unit to the installation brackets. The screws are tightened extremely hard and I can't remove them ;((( Is there a special technique or a trick or something to remove them? Or I just have to get a good screwdriver and turn as hard as I can???
Get a fairly large tip phillips head screw driver so that you don't strip the screws out. Apply good pressure and turn it hard as #ell. They're on the radio with threadlocker or something. They will come out like normal. Trust me. Good luck man.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:08 PM

Re: Re: unremovable screws.

Originally posted by d_warner

Get a fairly large tip phillips head screw driver so that you don't strip the screws out. Apply good pressure and turn it hard as #ell. They're on the radio with threadlocker or something. They will come out like normal. Trust me. Good luck man.
I took a Phillips screwdriver that was the right size and was still fairly pointy, and cautiously HAMMERED it into each screw. I was then able to turn each screw out. I used a nice, long-handled screwdriver, BTW, for more torque and a better grip.