5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 PM

Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Comparing individual track times is great and everything, but jeez, each of the times take into account unique weather/road conditions.... why don't you guys that are pretty interetested in the outcome of the latest Nissan scandal (no disrepect implied, i'm about to buy a 6-spd max myself) get someone w/ an '02/03 alty to race a 6-spd max. Then get drivers to switch cars ... back to back runs... at any given track.

Or has anyone done this already? I've seen Alty times as low 14.6 for the 5-spd at alty.net ... but i've seen 14.3 slips for the 6-spd max here on this board. Is it the 6-spd that gives the max the advantage???
Old 11-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Comparing individual track times is great and everything, but jeez, each of the times take into account unique weather/road conditions.... why don't you guys that are pretty interetested in the outcome of the latest Nissan scandal (no disrepect implied, i'm about to buy a 6-spd max myself) get someone w/ an '02/03 alty to race a 6-spd max. Then get drivers to switch cars ... back to back runs... at any given track.

Or has anyone done this already? I've seen Alty times as low 14.6 for the 5-spd at alty.net ... but i've seen 14.3 slips for the 6-spd max here on this board. Is it the 6-spd that gives the max the advantage???

Too many differences in weight, suspension, drag, etc. for that to PROVE anything.

However, Steve did mention that they are going to dyno both next week(I think) at the same time, so that SHOULD prove something.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Too many differences in weight, suspension, drag, etc. for that to PROVE anything.

However, Steve did mention that they are going to dyno both next week(I think) at the same time, so that SHOULD prove something.
So true
Old 11-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Originally posted by Cutlr7

So true

Are you stalking me? Or just being a PW?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:40 PM

I think there is still an important point that frankly i may not be understanding -- DOES the car you bought (i.e. the maxima) outPERFORM the altima in the same trim (auto or stick)? You can take all the spec and technological differences back to the closet...

If I were to put you into one car and not have you know what it was, and then have you drive it aggressively and evaluate it's performance against another car ... again without having you know what it was... without you knowing any stats on either car... then if i told you one had 255 hp and the other 240 hp .... contrast this fact w/ how you FELT the car did .. you catch my drift.

I do respect the fact that the dyno is an important factor in determining what type of power the car is producing...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:57 AM
Administrator

edited: video's were dead links
Old 11-20-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

get someone w/ an '02/03 alty to race a 6-spd max. Then get drivers to switch cars ... back to back runs... at any given track.
Well, I can't comment on 6-spd Max -vs- 5-spd Alty, but about 5 months ago, I personally raced my AUTO 2k2 Max against a AUTO 2k2 3.5 Alty.

It was the closest race that I've ever been in! (Now I know why!) He started about 1 car length ahead of me as we both turned on to a nice two lane straight-away. and it took e-v-e-r-y bit of the 20-120 mph to inch past him! Literally, inches!

That was the first time that "I" felt like we might have been cheated out of some h-p's.

Of course, this was only one race...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that's just for 1/4 mile tho...i was in Buttonwillow and was on the same session with a 2002 Altima 3.5(5 speed, intake and exhaust)...every time we hit the straightaway, he couldn't seem to close the gap...in fact, i remember actually pulling away from his car...so let's say we exit the turns at around 55-60mph...from there to 100mph..i was ahead..
Old 11-20-2002, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Are you stalking me? Or just being a PW?
Straight up
Old 11-20-2002, 06:08 PM

One guy on Altimas.net ran a 13.9. He has the timeslip posted and he has witnesses. I think the only mod he had, if you can call it that, was a K & N panel filter. I'll post the link after I finish uploading some web pages.

I've seen Alty times as low 14.6 for the 5-spd at alty.net ... but i've seen 14.3 slips for the 6-spd max here on this board. Is it the 6-spd that gives the max the advantage???
Old 11-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Originally posted by AltyPaul
One guy on Altimas.net ran a 13.9. He has the timeslip posted and he has witnesses. I think the only mod he had, if you can call it that, was a K & N panel filter. I'll post the link after I finish uploading some web pages.

Heres the thing, Im not saying I dont believe it or do. Its just hard to believe things on this board or any board when it is outrageous since anyone can photoshop these days and have people account for stuff that never really happened.

That dont mean it couldnt have been done, just i hate it when people BS and go the extra mile to photoshop their time slips and get blown away when we mathamatically figure out he was full of crap.

Dixit
Old 11-20-2002, 06:28 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by AltyPaul

Yeah, i saw that and i think his MPH was like 105. Thats why people said it was BS. No way an Alti with a panel filter is going to trap that high. IF its the same post im thinkin of, i think he later said it was a G-tech time or something?

Old 11-21-2002, 06:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Can we get a 5-spd Alty to run w/ a 6-spd Max to see if there is even an issue here?

Actually the one I'm talking about is the Altima with a custom intake. http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...threadid=27427 I don't know much about the Altima with the K & N with the freebie WAI. I cannot verify that race. There were eyewitnesses to the first one. I even called Atco to verify it shortly after it happened. A few things to remember about that verified 13.92 1/4.

1) He ran in March, with cool temps
2) It was a good strip with decent elevation
3) He's a good driver
4) He may have a stronger than usual engine and had a custom intake

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

Yeah, i saw that and i think his MPH was like 105. Thats why people said it was BS. No way an Alti with a panel filter is going to trap that high. IF its the same post im thinkin of, i think he later said it was a G-tech time or something?
Old 11-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Pablooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 11-21-2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

I don't know..but, when Motorweek first tested the Altima they got a 0-60 of 5.9 The 1/4 in 14.4 @ 100mph. That was straight off of the truck.