5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tranny Questions

Hey guys,
I know this subject is always mentioned and ive been searching for the past 45 minutes reading old threads and got some info but there are still a few thigns i am unclear about. I am planning on getting the VB mod done so im gonna need a cooler. Now i live in MASS and it gets cold and im thinkin about goin with one of the B&M coolers with the bypass for the cold weather. Im also planning a full flush of the tranny fluid and replacing it with some mobil 1 synthetic atf. The last thing i want to do is get a tranny temp gauge just to be able to watch the temp even though its not that necessary. So with everything ive mentioned, what other things am i going to need for this installation..hoses, wires, sensors, etc. What size tranny cooler do u guys suggest? Which tranny temp gauge? and any other suggestions or install instructions?...

Thanks guys,
Steve
Old 11-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tranny Questions

u can do the flush when u get ur VB...how many miles u have?

I have autometer tranny gauge....u can get it for 40 dollars and u need to get wire, connectors. It comes with sensors and you can install it in two ways. 1) tap into the tranny pan 2)cut the tranny hose and use a tee. The later one requires to ground the sender.....my homepage has some pictures.

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Hey guys,
I know this subject is always mentioned and ive been searching for the past 45 minutes reading old threads and got some info but there are still a few thigns i am unclear about. I am planning on getting the VB mod done so im gonna need a cooler. Now i live in MASS and it gets cold and im thinkin about goin with one of the B&M coolers with the bypass for the cold weather. Im also planning a full flush of the tranny fluid and replacing it with some mobil 1 synthetic atf. The last thing i want to do is get a tranny temp gauge just to be able to watch the temp even though its not that necessary. So with everything ive mentioned, what other things am i going to need for this installation..hoses, wires, sensors, etc. What size tranny cooler do u guys suggest? Which tranny temp gauge? and any other suggestions or install instructions?...

Thanks guys,
Steve
Old 11-21-2002, 08:16 PM

scmaxima2k,

I'm gonna get the 264 (24000GVW) unit because other members have the 268 (19000GVW) unit and said they should have gotten the 264.

here you go:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361

water-cooled turbo dreams
woosh
Old 11-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

264 is the way to go. Very easy to install and looks nicer than the Hayden ones.

Dixit
Old 11-21-2002, 11:09 PM

Re: Tranny Questions

sorry to jump in.. looks like a lot of people are having problems with their transmission at 7k-10k.. what are the most common symptom if you have a transmission that's about to blow up? it's the first car i ever owned and i don't know about a lot of things... if anybody could explain that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Hey guys,

Thanks guys,
Steve
Old 11-22-2002, 09:25 AM

I just hit 25k miles on my car. My tranny has been slipping for about 10k now and ive brought it into nissan for the TSB but they told me that it was fine...
Old 11-22-2002, 09:34 AM

i was wondering about that too. any telltale signs of tranny issues, anyone who's lost one remember what happened just before it went?

as long as we're talkin' trannies, what's up with the cold-weather bypass? i didn't think about the possibility of freezing - is this something all you cold-climate guys are doing? what's the freezing point of tranny fluid? what prevents it from freezing in a stock setup - why does the cooler make it so different? that's one of my top-priority mods (when i have $$) - i want to make sure i do it right!
Old 11-22-2002, 11:18 AM

The bypass in the new B&M coolers lets the tranny fluid warm up to operating temp before it starts to let it flow through the cooler. When the ATF is cold and thick the tranny wont shift as well so the B&M lets the fluid heat up and become thinner before it starts cooling it. This is good in cold weather because it will still let the ATF warm up to operating temp.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:05 PM

anyone else??
Old 11-24-2002, 02:28 PM

Can anyone in this thread enlighten a fellow .org member as to the proper installation of a tranny cooler. From their thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=168865 it appears to me that they've got a bad install.