5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lancer Evo VII

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Banned

Lancer Evo VII

Hey guys,
I know this is not directly Maxima related, but what do you think of this upcoming car? It's supposed to retail for the same price as the Max (+/1 $2k), but gets a 0-60 in 4.7s!!! and it also has all wheel drive. My friend owns a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally Edition, and he claims that the new Lancer Evo will be a better bang for your buck than the Maxima. I know we won't stand a chance in acceleration or handling of the car, but I looked at some pics of the interior, and it's pretty much plain Jane. Have any of you seen pics of this car or read articles on it? What do you think?

Looks like it will be an exciting car.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:04 AM
jjs

Re: Lancer Evo VII

Originally posted by vito1281
Hey guys,
I know this is not directly Maxima related, but what do you think of this upcoming car? It's supposed to retail for the same price as the Max (+/1 $2k), but gets a 0-60 in 4.7s!!! and it also has all wheel drive. My friend owns a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally Edition, and he claims that the new Lancer Evo will be a better bang for your buck than the Maxima. I know we won't stand a chance in acceleration or handling of the car, but I looked at some pics of the interior, and it's pretty much plain Jane. Have any of you seen pics of this car or read articles on it? What do you think?

Looks like it will be an exciting car.
Ala WRX, the size is a turn off for me.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Lancer Evo VII

Originally posted by jjs

Ala WRX, the size is a turn off for me.
That's true, it's definitely smaller than the Max. However, I've sat in the back of my friend's Lancer OZ Rally, and it's not THAT bad. It's def tighter than in the Max, but you can def have 2 people in the back in more-or-less comfort.

The performance, though, must feel like being in a rocket launch. With AWD, it will def pull off the line quick.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:10 AM

The Maxima can't really stand up in performance and handling to the WRX either, but I wouldn't want one. Fun car to drive, but I liked the luxury/performance combo the Maxima offered. The Lancer Evo II will probably be the best car in it's class.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:40 AM

my thoughts...

interior isn't much different from us spec lancer oz, but the exterior is wickedly better than wrx...

as for mitsubishi quality, i woldn't know. I do have multiple evo7's in gt3 for ps2 though... I got it to hit mid 10's in 1/4 and hit top speed of about 205-ish.

But gotta love what you have and paid for, so the max is still my sweet baby...
Old 11-27-2002, 11:14 AM

lol as real at gt3 is...its not that accurate. I doubt you will hit 205 mph with an EVO VII unless you fully mod it with every mod made in the world and strip the interior.

Well..u know how dealers marked up the 350Z? This will be far worse. Not as many coming..

Also...I hear it's the EVO 8 thats coming. It won't be 0-60 in 4.7 too. That's the foreign (better) model. We will have ours toned down but I am guessing 0-60 in 5 flat.

The STi interior is way better than the EVOs. I want one of these cars one day..I just hope I don't change into a luxury car lover and end up getting a 5 series...UNLESS ITS AN M5!

If you want the EVO..expect to pay over MSRP
Old 11-27-2002, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
lol as real at gt3 is...its not that accurate. I doubt you will hit 205 mph with an EVO VII unless you fully mod it with every mod made in the world and strip the interior.

Well..u know how dealers marked up the 350Z? This will be far worse. Not as many coming..

Also...I hear it's the EVO 8 thats coming. It won't be 0-60 in 4.7 too. That's the foreign (better) model. We will have ours toned down but I am guessing 0-60 in 5 flat.

The STi interior is way better than the EVOs. I want one of these cars one day..I just hope I don't change into a luxury car lover and end up getting a 5 series...UNLESS ITS AN M5!

If you want the EVO..expect to pay over MSRP
I think you're absolutely right about the price being over sticker at first. I don't know if they're sending the toned down version though. I think Japan is the one who sets a limit on the max hp that a car can have (I believe it's 280bhp). I think the one coming to the states will be the same car as the Japanese one, and the 4.7 number is from a mag that tested the American version. Even if it's going to be 0-60 in 5 flat, that's a TREMENDOUS number for a ~$30K car.

I'm also curious to see how long the turbocharger lasts on it. Mitsubishi is not known for very reliable turbochargers (the eclipse GST/GSX and the 3000GT VR-4 come to mind).

I think after the Max, it will be hard to get a car with less creature comforts. I also hope I don't change into a luxury lover, because that limits the amount of available cars significantly (well, at least the ones that are more or less attainable).
Old 11-27-2002, 11:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why do these small cool AWD turbo cars have to look so butt-arsed ugly!? I would just have the lower powered old Mazda AWD turbo hatch.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Why do these small cool AWD turbo cars have to look so butt-arsed ugly!? I would just have the lower powered old Mazda AWD turbo hatch.
i like how the wrx sti and the evo look

if you hate the headlights of the wrx..calm down because they are changing it. I like how it is now though
Old 11-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was looking to buying an EVO VIII when it got here but due to the fact i wanted a bigger and more luxory car i decided not to.

but here is what is known about the EVO VIII

-The car will be called the Evolution and not carry numbers
-hp numbers have not been confirmed but rumored to be about 250-260hp
-there will be two versions, think regular WRX and then STi, but Ralliart instead of STi
-0-60 is said to be "under" 5 seconds
-base price is said to be "under" 30k
-6 speed manual transmission
-will be launched on january 1, and having a super bowl commercial

this car is suppose to outdo the WRX and hopefully the STi, but Subaru will not be relasing the STi WRX until the EVO has been released so that they can add the 5 more hp to outdo the EVO. hopefully this starts the HP war here that they have over in Japan.

oh and for getting the car for over MSRP, you can goto some dealerships and make an agreement to buy the car at MSRP and no more.

for more info about the car goto:
http://www.evolutionm.net
http://mitsubishicars.com
Old 11-27-2002, 12:33 PM

if it is true...

that the j-spec cars, like the evo7, are sold or advertised at an underated number then, the car's actual power output would be higher.... i smell the "where's my 15 hp" and "Altimas are underated"
stench oozing.... we would definitley have factory backed turbo fortified pocket rockets...

But like always, anything that hits our shores usually gets toned down to pathetic turtle pace rides... then we end up having to pay more to get it back to where it was suppose to be....
Old 11-27-2002, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

evo, wrx, max, etc ...

folx -

i test drove the WRX when it came out. i was convinced i was going to buy one, until i jumped in it. i really drove it hard and really had a good time w/ it ... but man, you are talking night and day in the quality of interior materials and comfort. there is just no denying where they (subaru) has cut corners to get the car around $23-26. and for a guy who is 6'2" it was a bit too small.

i bought the max cuz, quite honestly, the car FELT like the wrx in pullaway power and torque (its darn close), but it was put together so much more tightly with better materials. (think a couple steps below the new altima in interior quality).

the evo is in the same category as the WRX. but wait till the STi comes out next year (US WILL be getting a version of this car). try 300+ HP for a car the size of the sentra in all wheel drive.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Banned

Re: evo, wrx, max, etc ...

Originally posted by jerdubois
try 300+ HP for a car the size of the sentra in all wheel drive.
That should be illegal!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:43 PM

Re: evo, wrx, max, etc ...

Originally posted by jerdubois
folx -

i test drove the WRX when it came out. i was convinced i was going to buy one, until i jumped in it. i really drove it hard and really had a good time w/ it ... but man, you are talking night and day in the quality of interior materials and comfort. there is just no denying where they (subaru) has cut corners to get the car around $23-26. and for a guy who is 6'2" it was a bit too small.

i bought the max cuz, quite honestly, the car FELT like the wrx in pullaway power and torque (its darn close), but it was put together so much more tightly with better materials. (think a couple steps below the new altima in interior quality).

the evo is in the same category as the WRX. but wait till the STi comes out next year (US WILL be getting a version of this car). try 300+ HP for a car the size of the sentra in all wheel drive.
i felt the same way too...i'm only 5'5"... the max got my money...

I wasn't gonna pay 27+ g's on a compact 4-door with a boosted 4-cyl motor...

I'd prefer the N/A vq 3.5 with its power and torque plus the 6spd...

you don't get that in the wrx....which it badly needed... but i guess it wasn't designed as a highway cruiser which most of california or u.s. is....
Old 11-27-2002, 01:28 PM

i dont like mitsubishi...just cause of their commercials...they are so annoying. LOL (yes, i no)

the new wrx sti i like, i would get that over the evo. (unless it was an evo4) oooooooooooo. of course, what do i no.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:16 PM

The other thing about the Evo is...

The Euro and J-spec models are making a lot closer to 300hp, rather than 276hp. The Brit magazine Japanese Performance tested the Evo VII(when it was new) versus the Evo 6.5 Makkinen, one of the fastest Evos ever. Even though the 6.5 Makkinen weighed less than the VII and had more power(330hp vs. '276'hp for the VII), the Evo VII was behind by only .1 sec to 60mph(4.5 secs vs. 4.4 for the Makkinen) Something's a little fishy, y'know?
Our Evo should be a lot closer to the true power rating of 276hp. Like others have said, it should be at least 260hp. The Evo won't have the active differentials or the three-setting(tarmac, snow, gravel) center differential, in the interest of keeping costs down.

I still look forward to seeing the Evo come here next year. I hope that I can afford it and that it will have some Ralliart support from the dealers. Even if I can't afford it, it'll be cool to see the WRX vs. Evo rivalry come to the U.S. It's kind of like the Camaro vs. Mustang thing, but more closely matched and more high-tech.