5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help! Trade 2000 SE for 2003 SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:17 AM

Help! Trade 2000 SE for 2003 SE

Help! I've seriously caught the new car bug! Nissan's current $1,000 cash back and special financing caught my eye a couple of weeks ago.

A local dealer offered to sell my a loaded 2003 SE (w\ TE) for $2,000 under invoice! Plus they are giving me a great price on my trade (roughly $16.5 - $17k).

I owe another 2 years and 9 months on my 2000. The deal on the 2003 is about $25/month less than what I'm paying, however I'll be paying for 5 years (2 years and 3 months extra).

I've been going back and forth for days (weighing pros and cons):

PROS
I briefly test drove the 2003 and LOVED the power . I didn't believe there was much of a difference until I drove it. I couldn't believe the brut power of the 3.5VQ. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seemed as though the car kicked into another level of power once the tach hit the 3,000 rpm mark (almost like a turbo charger), then I was thrust into my seat (unbelievable). The little extras are cool too (HID, trip computer, compass, auto dimming mirrors, chrome rims, 6-disc indash changer, etc). Also, I've seen the spy shots of the 2004 and I'm not too crazy about the styling, plus the possible price hike will take it out of my range.

CONS
The weird thing though...it seems as though the seating position on the 2003 is higher. I don't know if it's me or not. But the seating position in my 2000 is a little more comfortable. I'm afraid of the Bridgestone tires. If I were to switch them now (for Michelins), then that's an extra cost (right before the holidays I might add). Also the extra 2+ years means an extra $10k+ of total payment if I decide to keep the 2003 for 5 years (I drive 27K miles/year so my trade in value for the 2003 would be crap...so I may need to get out of that before the 100k mile mark).

What do you guys think? Everyone here has always been so helpful in the past.

Also, does anyone know of any known issues with the 2003? My 2000 had the usual list of problems (crappy paint, coils, transmission TSB, ticking fan, etc). I've heard that the 2002's had a MAF problem and a BOSE problem.

Anyone know if these issues have been corrected for '03?

Thanks and sorry for the looooonnnngggg post.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:57 AM
john2002max

Re: Help! Trade 2000 SE for 2003 SE

Originally posted by 92drexel
Help! I've seriously caught the new car bug! Nissan's current $1,000 cash back and special financing caught my eye a couple of weeks ago.

A local dealer offered to sell my a loaded 2003 SE (w\ TE) for $2,000 under invoice! Plus they are giving me a great price on my trade (roughly $16.5 - $17k).

I owe another 2 years and 9 months on my 2000. The deal on the 2003 is about $25/month less than what I'm paying, however I'll be paying for 5 years (2 years and 3 months extra).

I've been going back and forth for days (weighing pros and cons):

PROS
I briefly test drove the 2003 and LOVED the power . I didn't believe there was much of a difference until I drove it. I couldn't believe the brut power of the 3.5VQ. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seemed as though the car kicked into another level of power once the tach hit the 3,000 rpm mark (almost like a turbo charger), then I was thrust into my seat (unbelievable). The little extras are cool too (HID, trip computer, compass, auto dimming mirrors, chrome rims, 6-disc indash changer, etc). Also, I've seen the spy shots of the 2004 and I'm not too crazy about the styling, plus the possible price hike will take it out of my range.

CONS
The weird thing though...it seems as though the seating position on the 2003 is higher. I don't know if it's me or not. But the seating position in my 2000 is a little more comfortable. I'm afraid of the Bridgestone tires. If I were to switch them now (for Michelins), then that's an extra cost (right before the holidays I might add). Also the extra 2+ years means an extra $10k+ of total payment if I decide to keep the 2003 for 5 years (I drive 27K miles/year so my trade in value for the 2003 would be crap...so I may need to get out of that before the 100k mile mark).

What do you guys think? Everyone here has always been so helpful in the past.

Also, does anyone know of any known issues with the 2003? My 2000 had the usual list of problems (crappy paint, coils, transmission TSB, ticking fan, etc). I've heard that the 2002's had a MAF problem and a BOSE problem.

Anyone know if these issues have been corrected for '03?

Thanks and sorry for the looooonnnngggg post.
Don't do it! I've owned both, and the only thing that is better on the 2K3 is the power, which gets old quick! along with a few speeding tickets. I owned a 2k2 for a year and had nothing but problems with it, such as the ckeck engine light coming on 4 times! Having to be towed to the dealership once, and no intake or engine mods,(embarrasing). The turning radius sucks! I can manuever a truck in a tighter space! I traded it down to a 2K SE 5 spd with leather and Bose. Saved a hundred bucks a month, and it just feels like a better car, with a little less HP, but still respectable. Think hard about it, and get more opinions. In any case the 6 speed manual sucks! Mine was notchy in 3rd and 4th and feels like your driving a moving van. just my opinion! I may have had a lemon, in any case I'm much happier now with my 2K

Old 12-01-2002, 07:28 AM

The 6 spd is not that bad, it is a little vague feeling, but it is one tough ***** as well. Just because 1 person had a bad one, don't let that influence your final decision. I've had my 2k2 for almost a year, and it has never been to the dealer. And I didn't break it in "right" and I beat the living crap outta it every day. No MAF problems, no tranny problems, no SES problems. It has been a great car in my opinion. I change the oil every 3k, use synthetic, and Mobil 91 octane. She seems to be happy with that. I say go for it! You'll love the extra power, it never gets old.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just traded my 01 SE w/auto for a 03 TE w/6spd just 4 days ago and I like the new Maxima alot better than my old one. I think mainly it has to do with the manual tranny, but my new Max has alot of extras my old one didn't come with. Also my 6spd is not notchy I think that was a problem that the 2k2's had to deal with. Any how if you feel that you would like the 2k3 more then your current one then trade, I did and I have no regrets.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:41 PM
lcf

I love Maxima's, but I would not trade in my Maxima for another one that looks practically the same (biggest difference being a few more horses). Even if they give a good price for your car, you'll still end up paying more and essentially would be getting the same car!!

If you want the kick of a stronger/faster car... just save up for a supercharger or turbo (like a the few elite of the .org are now starting to do). You'll save money this way and have the luxury of owning your own car in just a few more years.
Also, keep in mind that many, many more 2k2, 2k3 Maxima owners have been posting about problem with their cars. I'd have to say that there are substantially fewer complaints about the 2k, 2k1 model years even though it was the first 2 years of the 5th generation model!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Custom User Title

Yeah..your basically buying the same car but with a few extra horses. With all the money you would spend on the new one, you could get SC, and most if not all bolt ons and would be able to SMOKE a 2k3.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by ImStockBaby
Yeah..your basically buying the same car but with a few extra horses. With all the money you would spend on the new one, you could get SC, and most if not all bolt ons and would be able to SMOKE a 2k3.

Hrrmmm add a S/C and all the bolts on's, you too can smoke a 2k2.....that's something to be proud of.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:48 PM

Power Difference

I had a 2k2 SE and I got rid of it and got a 2k SE. I like the 2k2 better for the power. Thats about it...
Old 12-01-2002, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 2003 Maxima, not really familar with previous ones, its my first Nissan, but its a great car and the power is great.. and all the little options and features it has it great..
Old 12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I went from a 2000 SE to a 2002 SE 6-speed and yeah its basically the same inside and out but this time I got leather which I didn't have on my 2K. I wanted the extra power and was getting tired of my autotragic tranny in my 2K and wanted to upgrade. Very few problems with the car
Old 12-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Custom User Title

Hrrmmm add a S/C and all the bolts on's, you too can smoke a 2k2.....that's something to be proud of.
no one said anything about being proud..that is just my opinion and what i would do if i were in his shoes. And smoking a 2k2? that's great but life goes on.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my 2000. I really like the '03s though and keeping essentially the same payment is very appealing (along with the other goodies)...but I think I'll keep what I have.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too

I know what you are going thru. I sold my 2k1 SE last summer because I really didn't like the power delivery with the automatic. Sticks are a problem because it seems they are a loser when its time to sell.

recently I drove the following:

Altima 4 cyl auto: terible interior and obviously no power compared to the Max.

Altima 6 cyl stick: same interior and horrible shifter. Surpising in its lack of power.

Accord 4 cyl stick: Surprising power and refined stick but not good enough. Much nicer inside than the Altima. I just can't see myself driving a Honda.

It puts me back at square 1 with the possibility of a Maxima 2k3.

Problem is that in 6 months the car will be replaced and it will be older than its age. (Just ask anybody driving a 99 max what happenned when the 2k's came out.

What to do?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Help! Trade 2000 SE for 2003 SE

I traded my AE for a TE 4 months ago. I traded mainly because I was racking up so many miles (50K in about 16 months). The car was losing value fast!!! Plus, the deal I got was incredible. After the dust cleared...I ended up below invoice, with 3.9%, upgraded to leather and Meridian and ended up with about the same payment. I was just about to put $800 into new tires, $500 in brakes and routine service and had a $500 payment due in three days. I took all that money and out it down on the TE.

I figure I am always going to have a car payment anyway, so why not do it. The drawback is that I think I will have to keep this car for a while...there is no way I'll get pricing like this anytime time soon. So I am going to take a massive hit in four years (I already have 16K on the odometer).

I think it all depends on how you look at things...I like the 3.5L and really like the 6 speed. Plus I have a warranty for another week or two

In addition...I haven't had one mechanical issue yet, just a few oil changes.