5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hid fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:27 PM

hid fog lights

how can i upgrade my fog lights on the 2002 se maxima to match the hid head lights?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your topic says HID fog lights. That implies you talking about putting a true hid kit in there? is that what you are asking or are you looking for aftermarket bulbs that can match the True HIDs you have in your headlight?

If you want aftermarket match ups, Ive heard Piaa Plasma are the best the JDM ones. Or Raybrig WhiteThunders. Both are very expensive at over $80 a pair. Or go Like me and put some nice yellow bulbs, I put the Piaa Ion Crystals in there, gives the most yellowiest look. I got sick of trying to match them up.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2002, 04:02 AM

Re: hid fog lights

Originally posted by sampelli
how can i upgrade my fog lights on the 2002 se maxima to match the hid head lights?
i got piaa plasmas, they're pretty good. not a perfect match. they're bluer than xenons, but the piaa hyperwhites will be whiter. i haven't seen any raybrig lights.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:43 PM

I have PIAA Xtreme Whites in my foglights for about a year and a half now. I'm really surprised that they lasted this long. The color is very close to the OEM HID's. Since the Xtreme whites are "rated" at 4150k vs 4300k of the true HID, there is a *slight* yellowness...nothing to cry over. The output from the foglights are quite disappointing however. I personally think they are more for show than what it was intended to do.

I'm getting a pair of true HID's for my foglights in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to see the faces of BMW and Lexus Drivers when I overpower their lights!
Old 12-11-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by maxkillz74
I have PIAA Xtreme Whites in my foglights for about a year and a half now. I'm really surprised that they lasted this long. The color is very close to the OEM HID's. Since the Xtreme whites are "rated" at 4150k vs 4300k of the true HID, there is a *slight* yellowness...nothing to cry over. The output from the foglights are quite disappointing however. I personally think they are more for show than what it was intended to do.

I'm getting a pair of true HID's for my foglights in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to see the faces of BMW and Lexus Drivers when I overpower their lights!
Where are you purchasing them from? Are they available for purchase online?

PIAA has a new H3 and H4 bulbs called "Xtreme Force" which is a new 4700K bulb, and is more blueish than yellowish on the Kelvin Scale. They're also doing the 55W=120W whereas the Xtreme White and Super Xtreme White were 55W=110W. I wonder though if these would actually melt the inside of your headlight/foglight housing. They're not available in the United States, only in Japan but you can get them on E-bay. Check it out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=801497061 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1393045469 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1924033531
Old 12-11-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by GI_Gene

Where are you purchasing them from? Are they available for purchase online?

PIAA has a new H3 and H4 bulbs called "Xtreme Force" which is a new 4700K bulb, and is more blueish than yellowish on the Kelvin Scale. They're also doing the 55W=120W whereas the Xtreme White and Super Xtreme White were 55W=110W. I wonder though if these would actually melt the inside of your headlight/foglight housing. They're not available in the United States, only in Japan but you can get them on E-bay. Check it out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=801497061 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1393045469 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1924033531

I'm taking extra precautions in my setup. I hate to ruin any original part of my car.

1. So, I bought a brand new foglight kit from DaveB. (~100 something)
2. I'm buying a plug and play H3 HID philips kit from a friend of mine. (He owes me a couple of favors) But, you can also buy it on ebay. I'm a little weary of buying from ebay...lot's of misrepresentations...so you make the call. But, here's a link if you're interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874600113

The kit that i'm getting is a philips kit with ultions 4300k bulbs. the maxima's existing wiring harness just plugs right into it and the bulbs slips into the OEM fog assembly. Just pipe the HID wires running from the bulb through wiring holes in the foglight twist-cover and seal the hole with epoxy (like the factory). You can still open the cover, change the bulb and still have it air tight. (my idea at least)

**Since I haven't received my kit yet...I am not able to verify it 100%.**
Old 12-11-2002, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by maxkillz74

I'm taking extra precautions in my setup. I hate to ruin any original part of my car.

1. So, I bought a brand new foglight kit from DaveB. (~100 something)
2. I'm buying a plug and play H3 HID philips kit from a friend of mine. (He owes me a couple of favors) But, you can also buy it on ebay. I'm a little weary of buying from ebay...lot's of misrepresentations...so you make the call. But, here's a link if you're interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874600113

The kit that i'm getting is a philips kit with ultions 4300k bulbs. the maxima's existing wiring harness just plugs right into it and the bulbs slips into the OEM fog assembly. Just pipe the HID wires running from the bulb through wiring holes in the foglight twist-cover and seal the hole with epoxy (like the factory). You can still open the cover, change the bulb and still have it air tight. (my idea at least)

**Since I haven't received my kit yet...I am not able to verify it 100%.**
Could you make a "How To" out of the install?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by spta97

Could you make a "How To" out of the install?
If you're looking into a H4 HID conversion writeup, someone has already written one.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=4

If you're looking into a H3 HID conversion writeup, i don't see one yet. I could write one up when my kit comes...that is, unless someone beats me to it. I'm looking into balast enclosures at the moment especially considering the system does not like moisture. i'll take suggestions (mounting suggestions, enclosures, comments, etc etc etc) if anyone has any.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 PM

Consider for a moment everyone else on the road if you're going to put HID lights in your foglamps... you'll not only blind all oncoming traffic but cops will not particularly like you.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:36 PM

hid match up

a match would fine and much less expensive.. let me know where and how much if u could, thatd be cool

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Your topic says HID fog lights. That implies you talking about putting a true hid kit in there? is that what you are asking or are you looking for aftermarket bulbs that can match the True HIDs you have in your headlight?

If you want aftermarket match ups, Ive heard Piaa Plasma are the best the JDM ones. Or Raybrig WhiteThunders. Both are very expensive at over $80 a pair. Or go Like me and put some nice yellow bulbs, I put the Piaa Ion Crystals in there, gives the most yellowiest look. I got sick of trying to match them up.

Dixit
Old 12-17-2002, 10:07 PM

personally im just gonna hold off for a while and get 7000K hids out in the fogs and same for the headlights should look just sweet, im just debating on if i should get the high/low beams in all 4. if some1 cuts me off ill spot their A$$ from a mile away with high beam HIDs
Old 12-17-2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
Consider for a moment everyone else on the road if you're going to put HID lights in your foglamps... you'll not only blind all oncoming traffic but cops will not particularly like you.
Well This would not happen because the beam pattern is very very flat and the aim is so low that it wouldn't glare oncoming traffic.

But then again Im against putting HIDs in the fogs because you yourself are not going to benefit in any way for seeing more on the road. The aim is too low to benefit at all from it.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Well This would not happen because the beam pattern is very very flat and the aim is so low that it wouldn't glare oncoming traffic.

But then again Im against putting HIDs in the fogs because you yourself are not going to benefit in any way for seeing more on the road. The aim is too low to benefit at all from it.
u know what man u got a good point on why u shoulndt out the hids in the fogs, but how can it not help u see better? i perfectly understand what u mean by the beam is flat but since its gonna hit the road directly in front of u, pared with the normal HID's its gonna be like a spotlight in front of ur car. the only probelm with glare would be the HID highbeams like i posted above which would most likley blind some1 (wouldnt be surprized )
Old 12-17-2002, 10:47 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

It never rains here in So Cali... But it has poured the last 2 days.. First true test for HID's.. Im thrilled to have them !....

I have Piaa Super Plasma in my Fogs... great match !