5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Third Brake Light Idiot light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Third Brake Light Idiot light

I have an '02 Maxima GLE. After I bought it I had a spoiler installed. They tapped the wires in the trunk to get the brake light on the spoiler to work. I want to remove the OEM third brake light in the rear window. The dealer sells a color matched part to cover the hole in the rear deck lid. My problem is every time I disconnect the OEM rear window brake light the idiot light on the dash comes on when the brakes are applied telling me I have a light bulb out. Is there a jumper wire or something available that would allow me to remove this light and have the car think all is well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to wire the spoiler light back to the harness for the OEM light but the car wasn't fooled for a moment. The idiot light came on. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Sly

Something is definitely wired wrong. When I installed my spoiler with LED brake lights, I wired into the center brake light wire harness and removed the bulb. No problems with any idiot lights coming on for me. Check to make sure nothing got disconnected when you played with the wires. Also, LED lights need to be wired with the correct polarity, unlike a regular bulb.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:08 PM

Re: Third Brake Light Idiot light

Originally posted by MaxRansome
I have an '02 Maxima GLE. After I bought it I had a spoiler installed. They tapped the wires in the trunk to get the brake light on the spoiler to work. I want to remove the OEM third brake light in the rear window. The dealer sells a color matched part to cover the hole in the rear deck lid. My problem is every time I disconnect the OEM rear window brake light the idiot light on the dash comes on when the brakes are applied telling me I have a light bulb out. Is there a jumper wire or something available that would allow me to remove this light and have the car think all is well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to wire the spoiler light back to the harness for the OEM light but the car wasn't fooled for a moment. The idiot light came on. Thanks.
I just installed my spoiler and I have the same problem when I disconnected the third brake light....Does the wire that the third light connects to need to be terminated..Cuz I just unplugged it from the bulb and the bulb connector.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:37 PM
wpr

Re: Re: Third Brake Light Idiot light

If any of the above posters (or anyone else) is interested in selling the third brake light, I might be interested.

Please email me directly to discuss. Not sure if this matters but my 2001 is white (or what Nissan calls white). My previous two Maximas were Arctic White!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM

bumping an old thread. anyone have a fix for this?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM

if the lights in the spoiler are LEDs, that's your problem. LEDs don't use as much electrical current and the car monitors how much current is being used. When you disconnect the rear window light, less current is used. Less current equals burned out bulb to the monitoring system. The solution is to get a resistor and solder it across the wires in parallel to the LEDs. I forget the value of the resistor needed, but if you go to a web site that sells LED bulbs, they will have the info and probably also sell them.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 PM

actually on my 5.5 there was already wiring for a spoiler so i just tapped into it. I then took out the bulb for the rear window light, thus the indicator.

Wondering as to a solution now..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hotstartup
actually on my 5.5 there was already wiring for a spoiler so i just tapped into it. I then took out the bulb for the rear window light, thus the indicator.

Wondering as to a solution now..
Bringing back the dead again... This is how I wired mine, works just fine. Didn't pop out the bulb in the rear window light though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM

More pics just for the heck of it...

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM

I gotta ask.. What's up with aftermarket spoilers looking like they're installed too far up?? I know a spoiler isn't really effective unless going a certain speed around a corner or something but how does it make sense installing it 3-5 inches further up on the trunk lid? Do my eyes deceive me?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM

JWatZ - If the spoiler uses leds, you will probably have thesame problem as the other posters had when you unplug the parcel shelf light.

Yoshimitsu - It's a decorative thing, not functional.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu
I gotta ask.. What's up with aftermarket spoilers looking like they're installed too far up?? I know a spoiler isn't really effective unless going a certain speed around a corner or something but how does it make sense installing it 3-5 inches further up on the trunk lid? Do my eyes deceive me?
It's right up flush with where the trunk dips off. The trunk is not flush all the way back, those last few inches angle down 30 degrees or so. Mine is placed exactly (or at least close) to where it is on other 5 and 5.5's that had the spoiler factory equipped (check pic below). Function? Heck no, don't like the way the car looks without the OEM spoiler.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Originally Posted by DennisMik
JWatZ - If the spoiler uses leds, you will probably have thesame problem as the other posters had when you unplug the parcel shelf light.
Planning on pulling it out when the wifey gets back. If it kills the spoiler light I'll just leave it connected. Can't hurt to have four brake lights, right? Four excuses for someone not to rear-end me!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JWatZ
More pics just for the heck of it...

So the Spoiler light is wired in directly without using the connector ?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
So the Spoiler light is wired in directly without using the connector ?
Yes, didn't come with the connector. This is what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370757052765...84.m1497.l2649
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Painted to match eh ? very nice ! How was the quality when you received it ?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Painted to match eh ? very nice ! How was the quality when you received it ?
Decent, I must say (for the price anyway). In some places they didn't sand where the to molds were joined, but I'm sure I will be the only one that ever notices. One small paint chip as well, but that was my... I mean, the installers fault . Now only if I can find this kind of deal on a painted front lip!