5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Silicone fixes everything

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 06:04 AM

Silicone fixes everything

Dropped off my car yesterday at Northlake Nissan in N. Palm Beach, FL so they could do the wind noise TSB. Well, they did, but they also gave me a bonus gift: wet silicone spray dripping down all windows. Plus, the spray is spotted all over the paint, liberally spritzed on the leather, and all over the interior door panels.

It seems they think that spraying the entire car down with silicone will cure any future problems.

Is this a new TSB?

"Problem: All"
"Repair: Spray Silicone"

Craig
Old 12-17-2002, 06:20 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Silicone fixes everything

Originally posted by Craig2kGLE
Dropped off my car yesterday at Northlake Nissan in N. Palm Beach, FL so they could do the wind noise TSB. Well, they did, but they also gave me a bonus gift: wet silicone spray dripping down all windows. Plus, the spray is spotted all over the paint, liberally spritzed on the leather, and all over the interior door panels.

It seems they think that spraying the entire car down with silicone will cure any future problems.

Is this a new TSB?

"Problem: All"
"Repair: Spray Silicone"

Craig
LOL...I feel your pain. Before I changed dealers I took it in for this fix. I ALWAYS inspect my car thoroughly. I found all that done to my car also. I then told them, clean it NOW! It was not give to you this way. I was given a song and dance and asked to speak to the dealership manager. It was cleaned immediately at that point and I watched the WHOLE time it was done.

And no, not a new TSB
Old 12-17-2002, 07:01 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

dunno, but the spray silicone I have for windows has a HUGE warning about getting it on your paint, I cant imagine what it will do to your leather.

After showing them, I would say you go have it detailed and tell them they are getting the bill. Man, I hate Nissan dealers sometimes.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:26 AM

Did they at least get the sidewalls?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:07 AM

Old 12-17-2002, 08:15 AM

Well, so far I tried wiping the crap off with a wet towel. No dice - the spots are all over the interior. It did come off the paint pretty easily though.

I think silicone is in armor all and other such crap, which I don't use. I'll have to find a product that can remove the spots safely.

I would bring it back to the dealer, but I'm on my fourth dealer for service, and so far they have all sucked. They would surely just screw something else up.

I haven't damaged my car at all yet, but the running tally for Nissan service is as follows:

1. Took a chunk out of the side of the Bose stereo head unit (the entire left side is scraped, and I didn't notice right away.

2. All four rims scratched from not taking care with impact wrench.

3. Huge scratch on drivers interior door panel that they claim they "couldn't have done".

4. Scratched drivers side rear door when realigning door. Realignment resulted in door hitting frame when closed, taking paint off both door and body of car.

5. The latest silicone fun.

Craig
Old 12-17-2002, 08:27 AM

yep, mirrors my experience.

No, that silicone is not the same as armour-all. if you cant remove it with glycerine soap (a dab of glycerine soap, which you can get anywhere, on a damp sponge), then they have f'd up your leather.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:49 AM

Just thought I'd post the latest update to this saga. While scrubbing silicone off of the windows, etc., I noticed that both rear doors seem creased or "pushed in" on the bottom. It appears that the technician "adjusted" the doors by BENDING THE METAL on the bottom - the metal on both sides now hits the body of the car when you close the doors.

Maxima? $25k The look on my face everytime I get warranty work done? Priceless.

AVOID NORTHLAKE NISSAN IN N. PALM BEACH AT ALL COSTS.

Craig
Old 12-20-2002, 10:53 AM

Old 12-20-2002, 11:31 AM

whoa.. bent the doors? have a digicam? I gotta see this.. as should Nissan of NA.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:26 PM

Do it yourself!

I had so much problem w/the dealer trying to get my rear window seal to fix. It took them three times, and still couldn't resolve the air leakage problem. I saw the TSB and bought a foam tape from home depot. Instead of applying the foam-tape around the area as stated on the TSB, I went ahead and remove the entire weather-strip and inserted/sandwiched the foam tape along the edge of the window frame.
I did it for all 4-doors and am very happy with the results.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i will NEVER take my car to a dealer unless it needs to. my 02 has the wind noise TSB and the sunroof def. fix. I will do both on my own. Nissan dealers SUCK, and they will always SUCK. After hearing your stories...#1 im sorry and #2, DO WHAT YOU CAN BY YOURSELF!!!!

Old 12-20-2002, 04:34 PM

This is an example of bad service that scare people from bringing their vehicles for any type of maintenance or service unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
i will NEVER take my car to a dealer unless it needs to. my 02 has the wind noise TSB and the sunroof def. fix. I will do both on my own. Nissan dealers SUCK, and they will always SUCK. After hearing your stories...#1 im sorry and #2, DO WHAT YOU CAN BY YOURSELF!!!!
I agree. The problem is that the cost of our 3-year/36k mile warranty is rolled into the price of the car, and I (originally) intended to get my money's worth. Needless to say, I was wrong, because Nissan service has actually cost me more $$ in damage to the car.

The first bad omen I had with this car was when ALL FOUR tires were out of round right off the dealer lot, and they refused to deal with it b/c they don't warranty the tires. I had to deal directly with Toyo, and Nissan NA finally agreed to pay half after I harrassed them for weeks.

For comparison purposes, I had a 94 Saturn with a tire out of round, and the dealer apologized and replaced it immediately.

What will it take to change this lousy service?

Craig
2K GLE, 26k miles