5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advice on getting dealer to apply ECM flashes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Advice on getting dealer to apply ECM flashes, etc.

This is a great site. I bought a used 2000 GXE, and am amazed at how many people are Max fanatics. It's a great car.

This site has helped me realize that I have 2 known issues:

1. Radio reception is horrible when radio signal is weak and I turn on the rear window defogger. I have the stock stereo.
2. Car stalls only in cold weather--fixable by ECM flash according to NTSB bulletin. Has almost caused me to be T-boned, kinda scary.

I have an extended warranty--call dealer, talk to service department, and of course, they insist on being able to duplicate the problem before doing anything. So...I have to use ESP to schedule an appointment when radio signals don't penetrate and it's cold....oh yes, they will have to drive the car a bit so it stalls--it takes 10-15 minutes sometimes. Once it's really warm, the problem will not duplicate unless they wait several hours and try again.

Do I have any leverage here? I want to avoid repeatedly taking the car in, and having the dealer tell me they can't find anything wrong. Got better things to do with my time. I can live with the radio issue--the stalling needs to be addressed for safety reasons.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:37 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

im not sure what to tell you about the radio issue, but it should be easy to duplicate unless it is sporadic. as for the stalling, if possible leave the vehicle overnight so it everything will have a chance to cool down and let them start it in the morning. explain to them the safety issue involved, remember they dont like liability. does the stalling occur under acceleration or just idling at stand still?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thank you for the information. After today, I'm not so sure it's cold weather related, as it's almost 60 degrees and it almost died. It's also running a little rough, but that could be some bad gas--I do get 93 octane from one of the big oil companies as recommended.

What happens is I will take the car out of gear (5 speed) when approaching a stop or turn, and the RPM's sometimes dip to the point where it stalls--normal idle appears to be about 600. It only appears to happen when I take the car out of gear--it has not occurred while idling in neutral. On average, RPM's drop to about 500 when I pop it out of gear.

Thanks!