5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Automatic Seat Adjustment - 2k2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002 | 04:30 PM

Automatic Seat Adjustment - 2k2?

My loaded max 6 speed has the button to the left of the steering column to turn off/on the auto seat adjustment thing. You know, the thing that moves back your seat when you turn off the ignition and moves it front when you turn it on. I know it's only for the automatic models, but just out of curiousity, since the button is there, do you think the wiring and capability is already in there? Could it be just a matter of connecting the wires to the switch?
Old 12-20-2002 | 06:44 PM

It could be but I suspect it is only in the automatic because it probably picks up a signal from being in "Park". You could always try to get a hold of a factory manual and find out.

try Ebay for the manual
Old 12-20-2002 | 06:53 PM

just FYI, that switch also ables/disables the Seat Memory buttons.
Old 12-20-2002 | 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Newman
just FYI, that switch also ables/disables the Seat Memory buttons.
Are you serious? So if it's not on auto, then there is no seat memory? What is automatic max's want seat memory but no auto seat adj.?

Newman, any idea if 6sp users can "activate" this auto seat feature?
Old 12-20-2002 | 07:25 PM

Originally posted by maximilion

Are you serious? So if it's not on auto, then there is no seat memory? What is automatic max's want seat memory but no auto seat adj.?

Newman, any idea if 6sp users can "activate" this auto seat feature?
im sure if an auto driver wants to have his/her seat return to the 'memorized' position they just flip the switch and hit the memory button then turn the switch off if they dont want the Entry/Exit feature to work.

i would be willing to be that you COULD wire the Entry/Exit to a 6 speed but it would probably have to be some kind of custom wiring because i agree with caremd99 about the car having to be in "park" for it to work, thus only autos are capable. unless of course you fix that with some custom wiring.
Old 12-21-2002 | 10:15 PM

Hrm... maybe another project that I've already thought about. Try this... in the ESM, look at the wiring diagrams for the power seats. Then, using a couple of relays, hook up the parking brake wire and the ECU Pin #44 wire (PNP Switch for manual tranny) and somehow wire that up to emulate the auto's setting to activate the moving. {BTW, Pin #44 requires a 5v relay, not a 12v.} That way, your car would not only have to be in neutral, but the parking brake would have to be on in order for the seat to move backward. Then, if the car were put in gear -OR- the parking brake were released, then the seat would move to the driving position.

Just a thought worth $0.00000000289 and a piece of toilet tissue.
Old 12-22-2002 | 06:13 PM

Originally posted by studman
Hrm... maybe another project that I've already thought about. Try this... in the ESM, look at the wiring diagrams for the power seats. Then, using a couple of relays, hook up the parking brake wire and the ECU Pin #44 wire (PNP Switch for manual tranny) and somehow wire that up to emulate the auto's setting to activate the moving. {BTW, Pin #44 requires a 5v relay, not a 12v.} That way, your car would not only have to be in neutral, but the parking brake would have to be on in order for the seat to move backward. Then, if the car were put in gear -OR- the parking brake were released, then the seat would move to the driving position.

Just a thought worth $0.00000000289 and a piece of toilet tissue.
that may not work for if he is one of the people who put their car into gear before they get out like i do. also, being in "park" isnt what makes the seat move. i believe it is the combo of being in park AND opening the driver's door. or maybe its being in park and removing the keys from the ignition. not quite sure.
Old 12-22-2002 | 08:06 PM

Well, you can switch it to use the driver's door trigger (pin #1 at SECU - shows ground when door is open) and then also use the parking brake signal. That way the driver's door has to be open, and the parking brake has to be on in order for it to work. Anyway, it was more the "thought-process" than the actual implementation that I was referring to. As far as design, I'm sure I could somehow scrap it up after studying the ESM for a little bit, but I'm not about to rip apart my car testing it, mainly because of time (and the fact that I have too many other car projects going on too).