5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Howling noise when clutch released TSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 07:06 PM

Howling noise when clutch released TSB

I experienced for the first time @ 19k miles on my SE a "howling" noise, more like whining, when easing off the clutch from a stop to 1st gear. That was the only gear change in which it occurred, and it only happened a few times. I was trolling the TSB's and see that NTB02-084 was issued in August and address "02 Maxima with howling...". I can't find a copy of this TSB.

Who has had this problem and what was the outcome?

srm
Old 12-30-2002, 01:06 AM

Bumping this back to top...with a TSB on this, I'm surprised no one has experienced this problem. I'm taking mine in for "service" tomorrow. Let's see what happens; something is clearly not right with mine.

srm
Old 12-30-2002, 05:59 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by Maxmann
Bumping this back to top...with a TSB on this, I'm surprised no one has experienced this problem. I'm taking mine in for "service" tomorrow. Let's see what happens; something is clearly not right with mine.

srm
http://www.altimas.net/tsb/NTB02-084/page1.pdf

and

http://www.altimas.net/tsb/NTB02-084/page2.pdf

Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 AM

Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

Good luck getting this fixed now with 19K on your car. I just called Nissan North America and the rep stated that it more than likely will not be fixed for free even though there is a TSB for the very same problem. Mine has done it for 20k miles now. I took it in at 10k but was told there was nothing wrong with it, this was before I knew about the TSB. Nissan sucks...

I experienced for the first time @ 19k miles on my SE a "howling" noise, more like whining, when easing off the clutch from a stop to 1st gear. That was the only gear change in which it occurred, and it only happened a few times. I was trolling the TSB's and see that NTB02-084 was issued in August and address "02 Maxima with howling...". I can't find a copy of this TSB.

Who has had this problem and what was the outcome?

srm
Old 01-02-2003, 12:12 PM

Update: I was told today by my service rep that the TSB applies to my car and as a result, a new/improved clutch disk is ordered and will be installed tomorrow.

I don't understand why some of you are having problems. For what it's worth, have 'em talk to my service dept. if you wish: Stones River Nissan, 615-893-0252, service rep working with me is Ben. He didn't give me any trouble. On the contrary, this service dept. has been very dependable.

I'll let you know tomorrow or Saturday how it has turned out!

srm
Old 01-02-2003, 12:36 PM

Update: I was told today by my service rep that the TSB applies to my car and as a result, a new/improved clutch disk is ordered and will be installed tomorrow.

I don't understand why some of you are having problems. For what it's worth, have 'em talk to my service dept. if you wish: Stones River Nissan, 893-0252, service rep working with me is Ben.

I'll let you know tomorrow or Saturday how it has turned out!

srm
I think my 2000 5 speed has the same problem. I thought it might be a loose belt or something. Mine howls when I accelerate in first and second gears. It started doing this intermittently but now it happens all the time. I have 52k miles so it wouldn't be covered by warranty but I would like to see this TSB. Where can I read it? Will I be doing any damage by continuing to drive my Maxima in this condition?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

I had my entire clutch assembly replaced at 6000 miles. The noise ended and the clutch felt great. Now at almost 8000 miles, the "howling" noise is coming back. It doesn't happen every time, but i feel that it will very soon.

Nothing but problems from day 1
Old 01-02-2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by mach_1

I think my 2000 5 speed has the same problem. I thought it might be a loose belt or something. Mine howls when I accelerate in first and second gears. It started doing this intermittently but now it happens all the time. I have 52k miles so it wouldn't be covered by warranty but I would like to see this TSB. Where can I read it? Will I be doing any damage by continuing to drive my Maxima in this condition?

Thanks
92 SE-r 02 SE posted the links to page 1 & page 2 of the TSB. Download it and you'll have the info you need. BTW...this should be part of your powertrain warranty, which goes to...what...100k miles, I believe. This is not subject to the 3 yr/36 mos bumper to bumper. I'm sure that it is not good to have a defective clutch disk. You should have it repaired. However, the TSB does specifically cover the 02 Altima and 02 Maxima. Don't know that with an 00 you'd be covered by the TSB...if you got a good service dept., they might be able to help. But in any event, this should be powertrain warranty.

srm
Old 01-02-2003, 12:53 PM

Re: Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

Originally posted by SupaFly
I had my entire clutch assembly replaced at 6000 miles. The noise ended and the clutch felt great. Now at almost 8000 miles, the "howling" noise is coming back. It doesn't happen every time, but i feel that it will very soon.

The components that were put back on your car may have been from the batch that still had the weak clutch disk. It is possible you still need to have the clutch disk replaced. The TSB is addressed to Altimas built before December 3 2002 and Maximas built before October 31 2002. I suspect that you have the misfortune of having had the same lot of clutch disks that are now causing problems put back onto your car.

srm
Old 01-02-2003, 01:20 PM

92 SE-r 02 SE posted the links to page 1 & page 2 of the TSB. Download it and you'll have the info you need. BTW...this should be part of your powertrain warranty, which goes to...what...100k miles, I believe. This is not subject to the 3 yr/36 mos bumper to bumper. I'm sure that it is not good to have a defective clutch disk. You should have it repaired. However, the TSB does specifically cover the 02 Altima and 02 Maxima. Don't know that with an 00 you'd be covered by the TSB...if you got a good service dept., they might be able to help. But in any event, this should be powertrain warranty.

srm
Thanks for your good advice. Is anyone else out there, other than with the 2002 Maxima or Altima, having this problem?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

The components that were put back on your car may have been from the batch that still had the weak clutch disk. It is possible you still need to have the clutch disk replaced. The TSB is addressed to Altimas built before December 3 2002 and Maximas built before October 31 2002. I suspect that you have the misfortune of having had the same lot of clutch disks that are now causing problems put back onto your car.

srm
The manager i spoke with told me there was a different clutch disk installed. I'm assuming the rest of the assembly was the exact same parts used before, but as far as the disk goes..it was a redesigned part
Old 01-02-2003, 01:44 PM

Re: Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

Originally posted by SupaFly

I had mine replaced around 6k and at almost 12k it hasn't been back yet. I would certainly take it back if it starts again.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Howling noise when clutch released TSB

srm
I don't think so. Even if you get that TSB done that noise will come back. Clutch will be good in the begining, as it was on my car when it was brand new, but the noise will come back I bet after some miles.
It is the same thing as with ****y brake rotors on our cars. You can go and get them re-surfaced under warranty, but they will get warped again and again.

That is why I was kinda holding back on doing that clutch TSB. Some people even had more problems with transmission/clutch after getting that TSB done.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:29 PM

srm

I had this problem on my 2000 GXE and my friend has it on his 99 SE. I rode the clutch a few times real good, and have not heard it since.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

I had this problem on my 2000 GXE and my friend has it on his 99 SE. I rode the clutch a few times real good, and have not heard it since.
2000 max 5 speed - Can you desribe for me how you rode the clutch to eliminate the howl noise. How long has it been since you have heard the noise?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2003, 08:29 AM

I picked my car up last night and of course it drives just fine for now. From now on I'll be hypersensitive to anything regarding the transmissions, especially now that it has been torn into. Trust me, if this reoccurs, they will hear from me. But unlike most of you it seems, I have a pretty good service dept.

Will keep you posted.

srm
Old 05-17-2003, 09:03 PM

It's BACK!!

It has probably been about 5k since I had the TSB done and the clutch plate was replaced. Now, the noise is coming back; intermittently, but just as before, a little bit of a howl when going from a stop while easing off the clutch in first.

Some of you said it would probably happen again, and you were right. I'm going to take it back to the dealer as soon as I can, or at a minimum, make them acknowledge and document my complaint. I'm also going to call Nissan Customer Service to do the same. I don't want them telling me in another 7k miles "to bad, so sad". There is obviously something that didn't get done right.

Oh, by the way, the TSB on the hesitiation? I had that done, too. It still hesitates. I guess I can have them look at that again, too!

So, any of you out there that have had this done, or will have it done...here is a warning!

srm
Old 05-18-2003, 11:15 AM

Let us know what you find out. Just had both TSBs done on my 2002 with 24K miles on the clock.