5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking for a strobe kit.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 08:21 AM

Looking for a strobe kit.

Hey guys, im looking to get a strobe kit. Any 1 know of a good website with many choices of kits or have any recomendations? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:26 AM
RBa

Re: Looking for a strobe kit.

Originally posted by Igor911
Hey guys, im looking to get a strobe kit. Any 1 know of a good website with many choices of kits or have any recomendations? Thanks.
www.groupbuycenter.com..
Old 12-22-2002, 10:37 AM

I am an authorized dealer of Whelen Emergency warning products. I have some of the best deals on strobe kits you will find. I do not sell the ghetto stuff, such as PepBoy strobe bulbs, etc. E-mail me for more information. I have sold many kits on here to guys like TheBigSadler & MaximaRider.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM
lcf

Buy them from krazyd.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
I am an authorized dealer of Whelen Emergency warning products. I have some of the best deals on strobe kits you will find. I do not sell the ghetto stuff, such as PepBoy strobe bulbs, etc. E-mail me for more information. I have sold many kits on here to guys like TheBigSadler & MaximaRider.
Where can i see more info about different types of strobes u offer and pricing?
Old 12-22-2002, 02:45 PM

Is that a po-po behind me? OH NO, ITS IGOR IN HIS MAXIMA!! :POLICE:

Old 12-22-2002, 02:47 PM

Where can i see more info about different types of strobes u offer and pricing?
Check your e-mail..
Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IGOR, just so you know, I have one of these Whelen strobe kits. I have a 6 strobe controller one.

Now the pig-tail looking bulb have to have a 1" hole cut into anything you plan on putting it into. Such as the tail, need to drill that hole. The headlights, ALSO need to drill this hole. If you dont feel too protective of your headlights and drilling a hole, then no problem there.

Only reason I mention this is because alot of people dont realize they need a hole drilled that large.

Dixit
Old 12-22-2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Now the pig-tail looking bulb have to have a 1" hole cut into anything you plan on putting it into. Such as the tail, need to drill that hole. The headlights, ALSO need to drill this hole. If you dont feel too protective of your headlights and drilling a hole, then no problem there.
Thanks for adding that in BigDog. I automatically assumed that he would know about the drilling of the holes in to the light's housings.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Thanks for adding that in BigDog. I automatically assumed that he would know about the drilling of the holes in to the light's housings.
KrazyD, I broke one of my pigtail bulbs trying to get it to fit in my tailight and then when trying to put the stock bulb in I broke the whelen strobe.

How much for a standard pigtail, no color.

Dixit
Old 12-22-2002, 04:07 PM

KrazyD, I broke one of my pigtail bulbs trying to get it to fit in my tailight and then when trying to put the stock bulb in I broke the whelen strobe.

How much for a standard pigtail, no color.

Dixit
Stop calling them pigtails! They are called strobe bulbs Are you using the normal grommet type bulbs, or the flange-mount screw in type? I'm assuming that since only the bulb broke, you won't need any cable. A HA239C goes for $28 plus shipping. E-mail me for more info if you need anything..
Old 12-22-2002, 04:40 PM

Stop calling them pigtails! They are called strobe bulbs Are you using the normal grommet type bulbs, or the flange-mount screw in type? I'm assuming that since only the bulb broke, you won't need any cable. A HA239C goes for $28 plus shipping. E-mail me for more info if you need anything..
Definetely the flangemount screw type. And yeah they still pigtails to me
Old 12-22-2002, 04:50 PM

Definetely the flangemount screw type. And yeah they still pigtails to me
Oh, the plug-in types are much easier to use, and better than the flange-mount ones. My price for the flange-mount bulb w/o cable is $30 plus shipping.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:47 PM

I think im going to go with the street glow kit with changable patterns.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:50 PM

I think im going to go with the street glow kit with changable patterns.
Just to let you know since you decided to go with that kit, it will in NO WAY imitate a true strobes you see on Police cars. Those kits you see for 10-40dollar range are those pencil rod style strobe units where it only blink at a constant pace of 2 flashes per second. Very slow. But if that is what you are looking for then go with that.

If you want a true kit, than unfortunately only the true Whelen ones are the way to go.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:04 AM

The kit i want is 90$ for 2 strobs that are xenon that come with a control modual that regulates speed and blinking patterns.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:14 AM

The kit i want is 90$ for 2 strobs that are xenon that come with a control modual that regulates speed and blinking patterns.
Did you read my initial responses to your post in this thread? I wrote, and I quote "I do not sell the ghetto stuff, such as PepBoy strobe bulbs, etc." What you're saying you want to put in your car is unfortunately the ghetto stuff. The "strobe rods" are what I like to call "spastic strobes." They don't flash together, they aren't bright and they look silly. I would never move for someone with those on, if anything I would slow down Anyways, sorry I couldn't help you..

P.S. There's no such thing as a Xenon strobe
Old 12-23-2002, 08:18 AM

Just to let you know since you decided to go with that kit, it will in NO WAY imitate a true strobes you see on Police cars. Those kits you see for 10-40dollar range are those pencil rod style strobe units where it only blink at a constant pace of 2 flashes per second. Very slow. But if that is what you are looking for then go with that.

If you want a true kit, than unfortunately only the true Whelen ones are the way to go.
Too bad most people don't like the fact that they have to pay more than a few dollars to get something that's actually the best thing out. What's a shame is that people will spend the $40-90 on the cheap stuff, and then e-mail me asking to get a real kit, and always complain how they wasted their money. I guess they need to learn the hard way, unlike you and I BigDog
Old 12-23-2002, 12:10 PM

Stobe Question

Is it possible to wire a strobe to go off with the factory alarm? Also, do you need a 1" hole for every strobe light there is? That seems awefully big.

What I would like to do is put a strobe light say on top of the dash so it flashes in the person's eye if they are sitting in the car. Anyway to do that?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: Stobe Question

Originally posted by spta97
Is it possible to wire a strobe to go off with the factory alarm? Also, do you need a 1" hole for every strobe light there is? That seems awefully big.

What I would like to do is put a strobe light say on top of the dash so it flashes in the person's eye if they are sitting in the car. Anyway to do that?

Thanks.
It's possible to wire your strobes to do anything. You need to make a 1" hole into any lighthead where the strobe head is going to be placed into. Also, I would not recommend placing an open strobe bulbs on your dash.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Stobe Question

It's possible to wire your strobes to do anything. You need to make a 1" hole into any lighthead where the strobe head is going to be placed into. Also, I would not recommend placing an open strobe bulbs on your dash.
How much power do they draw? Instead of on the dash, how about above? The only strobes that I've actually seen up close is the ones that we use at work for the fire alarm. They are a bulb about 2 inches big incased in plastic. That is mounted to a red box.

They were testing the alarm the other day and all these strobes were going off and I was all "Whoa! I've gotta get these in my car!"

Also, do these work on a transformer or are they 12volt? I ask because I would like to also get these hooked up to my house alarm as well as my door bell. The house alarm would just be to freak out any would-be theives. The door bell because my home theater is so loud I would need another home theater hooked up to the door bell to hear it!
Old 12-23-2002, 01:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Stobe Question

Originally posted by spta97

How much power do they draw? Instead of on the dash, how about above? The only strobes that I've actually seen up close is the ones that we use at work for the fire alarm. They are a bulb about 2 inches big incased in plastic. That is mounted to a red box.

They were testing the alarm the other day and all these strobes were going off and I was all "Whoa! I've gotta get these in my car!"

Also, do these work on a transformer or are they 12volt? I ask because I would like to also get these hooked up to my house alarm as well as my door bell. The house alarm would just be to freak out any would-be theives. The door bell because my home theater is so loud I would need another home theater hooked up to the door bell to hear it!
The fire alarms you're talking about are made by Federal Signal. These are not the same as what goes into your car. Those are linear strobe tubes, these are curled strobe tubes. Linear strobe tubes wouldn't be able to fit into any light housings on your car. The Whelen strobe kits that I sell are strictly automotive strobe lights. I don't recommend using them for anything except in your vehicle. They run off of a 12V/24V power supply.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stobe Question

curled strobe tubes.
AKA pigtails.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:34 PM

did any1 install the strobes in their headlights? Im thinking of turn signals and brake lights.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:40 PM

did any1 install the strobes in their headlights? Im thinking of turn signals and brake lights.
Igor, I was just looking at the strobe kit by street glow you mentioned. Well I know someone who had this kit. I know exactly what it is. It has a speed control but still maxes out at only 2flases per second. Secondly the biggest problem with this strobe kit is one thing. They are NO WHERE NEAR as bright as the whelen. These kits in reality are only 1/4 bright as the whelen ones.

If you still set on getting them, im not hating on you. Just dont want to see you disappointed by them when you actually install them and drill a hole in your lights.

I have installed them in my headlights, tails, turn signals, and brake lights on my last car. All drilled a 1" hole. But it was concealed.

Dixit
Old 12-23-2002, 03:05 PM

I have installed plenty of strobe kits in my time on all sorts of cars. I currently have eight in my `01, four in the front, four in the rear. I had six in my `93. The installation isn't hard at all.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:13 PM

I have installed plenty of strobe kits in my time on all sorts of cars. I currently have eight in my `01, four in the front, four in the rear. I had six in my `93. The installation isn't hard at all.
Question, how did you get the plug connector to get through the firewall hole? Actually the hood cable hole since that is where out hole is. Or did you drill an entirely new one. I cant even begin to think how hard it is to get the cable through that hold and out the other side on the driver's kick.

I had a pain of a$$ problem trying to get the amp wire through there and catching it on the other side.

I still have my kit sitting in my room cause I dont feel like going through the pain and hassle if it wont be easy. I have 6 strobes, cant figure out where to put them. I know I can put two in my tails and then 4 up front. Like two in the headlights, and then dont know where to put the 2nd set up front.

Dixit
Old 12-23-2002, 03:29 PM

Question, how did you get the plug connector to get through the firewall hole? Actually the hood cable hole since that is where out hole is. Or did you drill an entirely new one. I cant even begin to think how hard it is to get the cable through that hold and out the other side on the driver's kick.

I had a pain of a$$ problem trying to get the amp wire through there and catching it on the other side.

I still have my kit sitting in my room cause I dont feel like going through the pain and hassle if it wont be easy. I have 6 strobes, cant figure out where to put them. I know I can put two in my tails and then 4 up front. Like two in the headlights, and then dont know where to put the 2nd set up front.

Dixit
As for the firewall, I make my own 1.5-2" hole (depending on the amount of wires) that I run all the wiring through. It's not hard if you have a good drill and a strong hole-saw bit. I've never had a problem getting through. I wrap all my wiring up in loom when it goes through the firewall b/c that metal is extremely sharp and can splice the wires if you're not careful enough. Then I seal the hole I made with silicone so you don't hear any wind or engine noises while driving. The trick for getting the grey strobe cables through the firewall is to not put on the white connector tabs until all the wires are ran, or else they will not pass through.

Installing strobes in the Maxima's HID headlights is a big pain because its housing are very curvy and it isn't very straight forward looking. The placement of the holes is difficult and usually not 100% even. I would imagine that most people who have HIDs put them in place of their high-beams or in the same reflector as them. I doubt the tubes will fit into the front turn signals or parking lights of the 2002 headlights. Truthfully, this is the main reason why I haven't upgraded to the 2002 HIDs, because I have seen no practical placement for strobes and I need them (i'm a VFF). However, I know for sure that you can fit four hide-a-ways into the rear assemblies (brakes/turns).

So BigDog, unpack those strobes and install them!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:50 PM

has any1 drilled through the 2k-2k1 max headlight? if so was it hard and do u have any pics? I need to make a 1/2" hole.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:02 PM

has any1 drilled through the 2k-2k1 max headlight? if so was it hard and do u have any pics? I need to make a 1/2" hole.
I just posted above that I have 8 strobes on my 2001 Maxima. I have 4 in the front and 4 in the rear. I have them in my headlights and turn signals. It's not hard to do at all. You need to make a 1" hole, not a 1/2" hole. No pics though, sorry.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:04 PM

As for the firewall, I make my own 1.5-2" hole (depending on the amount of wires) that I run all the wiring through. It's not hard if you have a good drill and a strong hole-saw bit. I've never had a problem getting through. I wrap all my wiring up in loom when it goes through the firewall b/c that metal is extremely sharp and can splice the wires if you're not careful enough. Then I seal the hole I made with silicone so you don't hear any wind or engine noises while driving. The trick for getting the grey strobe cables through the firewall is to not put on the white connector tabs until all the wires are ran, or else they will not pass through.

Installing strobes in the Maxima's HID headlights is a big pain because its housing are very curvy and it isn't very straight forward looking. The placement of the holes is difficult and usually not 100% even. I would imagine that most people who have HIDs put them in place of their high-beams or in the same reflector as them. I doubt the tubes will fit into the front turn signals or parking lights of the 2002 headlights. Truthfully, this is the main reason why I haven't upgraded to the 2002 HIDs, because I have seen no practical placement for strobes and I need them (i'm a VFF). However, I know for sure that you can fit four hide-a-ways into the rear assemblies (brakes/turns).

So BigDog, unpack those strobes and install them!
I knew you drilled that hole. But the plug on my wires dont come off. They are part of the wires. Only way to get the plug off is to cut the wire and re-splice the whole deal. That is why I never bothered on atempting to remove the plug.

I will most likely put the back in my car again. Just need time. Wish I could put two more up front, but it will be a pain no doubt. I might be removing the assembly to figure something on this one.

I just am going to hate removing them damn tails again for the 3rd time. That goop is a killer.

Dixit
Old 12-23-2002, 04:42 PM

I knew you drilled that hole. But the plug on my wires dont come off. They are part of the wires. Only way to get the plug off is to cut the wire and re-splice the whole deal. That is why I never bothered on atempting to remove the plug.

I will most likely put the back in my car again. Just need time. Wish I could put two more up front, but it will be a pain no doubt. I might be removing the assembly to figure something on this one.

I just am going to hate removing them damn tails again for the 3rd time. That goop is a killer.

Dixit
Don't take out the taillights! You don't need to take them out at all to make the holes for the bulbs. Just make the holes are close to the stock bulbs as possible and you'll be fine. The white connectors come off without a problem. You need to use a really tiny flathead screw driver and push in the little metal tabs that hold the individual wires on to the actual white pieces. If you take a look at the tabs for a while you'll see what i'm talking about. There's a little metal piece that sticks out onto the white plastic so the wire doesn't move.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Don't take out the taillights! You don't need to take them out at all to make the holes for the bulbs. Just make the holes are close to the stock bulbs as possible and you'll be fine. The white connectors come off without a problem. You need to use a really tiny flathead screw driver and push in the little metal tabs that hold the individual wires on to the actual white pieces. If you take a look at the tabs for a while you'll see what i'm talking about. There's a little metal piece that sticks out onto the white plastic so the wire doesn't move.
Anybody got these strobes in action like a video clip.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by MyownNismo
Anybody got these strobes in action like a video clip.
Video clips do not do strobes any justice. It is very hard to capture the nature of strobes in action because of the high-speeds at which they are going off. In a video they will seem spastic, like Pepboy strobes. Just take a look at your local police department's cruisers, there's an extremely good chance that they use Whelen warning equipment.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:24 PM

ok the main concern i have about drilling the head light is that when i drill all the dust and drilled peices will go inside of the headlight. Then u will be able to see the dust and crap inside the headlight. Is that true?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:18 PM

ok the main concern i have about drilling the head light is that when i drill all the dust and drilled peices will go inside of the headlight. Then u will be able to see the dust and crap inside the headlight. Is that true?
They sell cans of compressed air that can be used to clean your keyboard and other electronic devices. I always find myself using something like that in order to get all the bits of plastic and shavings out of the light housings.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:59 AM

Dixit
Yo BigDog do you plan to drill in the 2k2 headlights?

BTW: KrazyD can you post prices here or PM w/ prices on which kits you sell, i think 2 in front & 2 in back would be good enough for me ...thanks
Old 12-24-2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

Yo BigDog do you plan to drill in the 2k2 headlights?

Planning on doing something. Might have to drill to get another two in there.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:35 AM

Planning on doing something. Might have to drill to get another two in there.
let me know what u do....unless i get kit & install before u i'll let u know what i did
Old 12-24-2002, 01:44 AM

U guys talk a lot of **** and no use stuff........ I just wanna know HOW MUCH????????!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for a strobe kit.