5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

STP oil filter!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:53 PM

STP oil filter!!

Just put in Mobile 1 in today at 30,000 mi.
The STP oil filter is so tiny!!
How long to you guys go before you change the oil?
Old 12-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: STP oil filter!!

Originally posted by dml000
Before you get killed by the search goblins in the org, I would suggest you click that search button at the top right of the screen, and look for threads on this subject.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:16 PM

Yea, wouldn't want anyone to go out of their way!!!
God forbid someone just get a quick answer!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2002, 07:33 PM
2-Wheelin it...

oil every 3k-3500
filter every 2 oil changes, so about 6-7k.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:01 PM

I posted this today. Mine was also an STP filter. Go to advance auto parts if you're unable to remove the filter - what you want is the socket that is 65mm and on the back it will say it does one of the nissan sizes. I can't remember the number though, but it's the same number on a Nissan OEM filter if that's any help.

So ANYWAY get the 65mm socket that goes on the end of the filter and takes a 3/8" drive. There are two of these sockets - one is a 1 step and another is a 2 step. Get the 1 step. Although it fits less filter types it should work on that filter. I tried with the 2 step first and it couldn't get enough of a grip on the filter; it kept spinning. The 1 step has a lot more distance it will go on the end of the filter and you can undo it with that.

Course this is all useless if you had no prob getting that little buggar off.

---

Anyway if you're using synthetic you can go at least 5k on an oil change no worries. Lots of people would say non-synthetic changing it more than that is overkill even!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:41 AM

Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I use Amsoil synthetic and change both oil and filter every 7500 miles.

For regular motor oil, the change interval for both oil and filter should be 3000-3750 miles.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:00 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by PoLo
oil every 3k-3500
filter every 2 oil changes, so about 6-7k.
You change your oil but not the filter? Why? Not hating, just don't understand why you would change the oil and not the filter.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Agreed. If anything, it should be the other way around. Never change the oil and not the filter. For Amsoil and other extended change oils, you change the filter and NOT the oil.

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

You change your oil but not the filter? Why? Not hating, just don't understand why you would change the oil and not the filter.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
2-Wheelin it...

ever since i've owned a car (a good 8 years now) i've always known that filters last about 7k miles or 6 months. i also know that oil is good for about 3k or so. so with that, i change the oil, and every other oil change, i change the filter. this keeps me at an even interval.

if not, then tell me another reason why they tell us 2 numbers in the manual in the amount of oil, 1 with and 1 w/out filter.
if this sounds weird to you, then feel free to explain.

p.s. i'm basing this on regular oil. not amsoil, where the oil change intervals are obviously longer than the filter.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:06 PM

This is why I suggested you use the search function. You got 4 direct responses to your question in this thread. Whereas if you would've got off your lazy f'en a s s and used the search function, you would've gotten umpteen hundreds of responses to you question. jack a s s ..
Old 12-24-2002, 02:24 PM

KP ROX- Maybe you should just go play with Grama's wrinkled sacs!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KP ROX

This is why I suggested you use the search function. You got 4 direct responses to your question in this thread. Whereas if you would've got off your lazy f'en a s s and used the search function, you would've gotten umpteen hundreds of responses to you question. jack a s s ..
That's the problem with search, you'll find 2 million posts about a topic, and you have to weed through pages and pages of a thread before you find the keyword for your search, but the post actually has nothing to do with what you're asking. I think for some subjects, search works great, but for others, it's needle in a haystack time, baby.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:09 PM

KP ROX- Maybe you should just go play with Grama's wrinkled sacs!!!
nice come back, how old are you..12
Old 12-24-2002, 03:26 PM

Well said TANMAN!!
KP Your pretty close with that number!!
That is the size of my turkey!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! (ALSO MY BIRTHDAY)
Old 12-24-2002, 04:28 PM

Seriously!! So many people get so bent outta shape over common q's that they'll take the time to criticize the fact that you didn't bother searching .. hell, they coulda just answered the darn question...
Old 12-25-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Agreed. If anything, it should be the other way around. Never change the oil and not the filter. For Amsoil and other extended change oils, you change the filter and NOT the oil.

just a question, how do youchange the filter and not the oil?
Old 12-25-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Seriously!! So many people get so bent outta shape over common q's that they'll take the time to criticize the fact that you didn't bother searching .. hell, they coulda just answered the darn question...
It's just a freakin whip dude, having to fight through a ton of threads that have been beat to death already, to get to something new and interesting.

The search function isn't hard to use, so what if you gotta weed thru some stuff that isn't relevant to your search topic, just suck it up, that's life.

Dml000 got four direct responses to his question. Is that better than getting literally hundreds of responses to his question in the search? Think about it..
Old 12-25-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by downby3

just a question, how do you change the filter and not the oil?
You just remove the old filter and replace it with a new filter. You'll find that some oil will spill when you take the old filter out, but it's no more spillage than during a complete oil/filter change.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:34 AM

Re: STP oil filter!!

What is the STP part number that you are using?
Old 12-26-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

I would like to know exactly how you know the filter is actually filtering anything at 7k? Is there some type of test you perform?

Even Amsoil which has 35k mile oil does NOT recommend going over 5k on the filter. It's the filter that keeps the oil clean. If you just change the oil, you are running new oil though an old dirty filter.

I don't know why the manual has two specs for the oil capacity. Does it specifically say something about changing the oil and not the filter? It seems it just mentions the spec for reference.

Originally posted by PoLo
ever since i've owned a car (a good 8 years now) i've always known that filters last about 7k miles or 6 months. i also know that oil is good for about 3k or so. so with that, i change the oil, and every other oil change, i change the filter. this keeps me at an even interval.

if not, then tell me another reason why they tell us 2 numbers in the manual in the amount of oil, 1 with and 1 w/out filter.
if this sounds weird to you, then feel free to explain.

p.s. i'm basing this on regular oil. not amsoil, where the oil change intervals are obviously longer than the filter.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:47 PM

I looked at the STP filter 6607 I think, WAY to small! I am using Bosch 3323 filter as it is longer. Funny thing is the STP book suggested the same filter for most all '01 Nissans and the Bosch suggests different filters for different models.

I believe the STP to be made buy the same compant as Mobile and Bosch? What is the part # for the STP long filter?
Old 12-26-2002, 04:01 PM

Interesting from a X Fram employee. Sorry to those who have read it already.

"I obtained great satisfaction from reading your oil filter survey. I worked for two years as the oil-filter production line engineer inan Allied-Signal FRAM facility and I can confirm every bad thing youhave said about FRAM automotive filters. That's from the horse'smouth, as it were.I'm also a quality engineer and can confirm that FRAM applies noquality control whatsoever to any of the characteristics for which webuy oil filters. I frequently saw filter designs which were barelycapable of meeting J806. Many of FRAM's designs will block and go tobypass after trying to filter very little contamination. There wereoften leakage paths at the paper end discs when these were notproperly centered on the elements. Some designs had the pleats sotightly packed against the center tube that they would block off in notime. I had discovered that the FRAM HP1 that I had been buying forabout $20 Cdn was EXACTLY the same as a PH8 inside - the onlydifference being a heavier can - no advantages in flow capacity. Thepaper filtration media was of apparently poor quality and the processof curing the paper resin was very inconsistent - elements would rangefrom visibly burnt to white. FRAM's marketers admitted that there wasjust about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filtercontributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAMtested for was can burst strength. Another problem that they have fromtime to time is in threading the filter base - often there are strandsof metal left behind on a poorly formed thread.I have not used a FRAM filter since I started working there. Theirclaims are entirely and completely marketing bull****.If people really want to protect their engines, a good air filter isvital (which excludes FRAM from that list as well) and a combinationof one depth and one full-flow hydraulic filter, together in parallel,will do the job of filtration to perfection.Thanks for doing a great job in trying to get the truth out! You canquote me anytime. [name withheld]"