5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima problem

I bought a 2000 Maxima and haven't had any problems with it until one day the service engine soon light came on. It really didn't do anything except sometimes it would itle low. Well anyway just recently the car started to buck and I would have to shut it off completely and then start it up again and it would be ok. Brought it to the Nissan dealership and he told me that some debree had gotten in the air/regulation unit and that is what was causing it. All total parts and labor it is going to come to $375.00. Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't know too much about it and I just dont want to get ripped off. Thanks for any help!!

Becky
Old 12-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Got Bent?

sounds like BS to me... air regulation unit? Is that fancy wording for saying your air filter and intake was dirty? Check your air filter yourself and go to an Autozone to get the codes on your car read. That will figure out why your service engine light went on. Don't let your dealer charge you $375 for a new filter and cleaning of the intake/thottle body.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:02 PM
lcf

Ask them what code(s) were causing the SES light (service engine soon)@#!! You are entitled to know and the information will help in diagnosing the problem.

Old 12-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by lcf
Ask them what code(s) were causing the SES light (service engine soon)@#!! You are entitled to know and the information will help in diagnosing the problem.

Thank you all for your help. I am going to pick up my car tomorrow and I will let you all know exactly what the problem was.

Becky
Old 12-24-2002, 04:14 AM

They could be referring to the Mass Airflow Sensor - the price is consistent, although they should be able to use the correct name.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:13 AM
lcf

It does kinda sound like a MAF problem... which is NOT a 300 something dollar repair. Don't let the dealership rip you off.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf
It does kinda sound like a MAF problem... which is NOT a 300 something dollar repair. Don't let the dealership rip you off.
I thought that new MAFs were more than 300???.... If that is the case, than the price is about right.
At any rate like most of these guys are saying, unless they are replacing the MAF, they are ripping you off.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maxman00

I thought that new MAFs were more than 300???.... If that is the case, than the price is about right.
At any rate like most of these guys are saying, unless they are replacing the MAF, they are ripping you off.

Ok They replaced the air flow meter. All total is was $390. I think they way overcharged me.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by BeckyT24

Ok They replaced the air flow meter. All total is was $390. I think they way overcharged me.

Thanks for the help everyone.
It's not that they deliberately overcharged you - it's just the way they do things. They replaced the entire MAF assembly which is a $300+ piece rather than disassembling it and replacing the element ($40 - 50 part) and charging you for the labor. That also takes skill. They do it the easy way. The American way is - throw it away and buy a new one!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by wdave

It's not that they deliberately overcharged you - it's just the way they do things. They replaced the entire MAF assembly which is a $300+ piece rather than disassembling it and replacing the element ($40 - 50 part) and charging you for the labor. That also takes skill. They do it the easy way. The American way is - throw it away and buy a new one!

Well I also asked for an est. on my brakes. They told me that would be free. So they checked them, said it would be $210. for the back brakes and I told them NO WAY. They said that someone had put the brake pads on backwards and they would fix them for free. Well as I looked on my invoice it said they charged me $78.00 to fix it. I am so ANGRY AND ****ED. I found out today so I have to sit and stew on it until tomorrow. UGH!!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I also asked for an est. on my brakes. They told me that would be free. So they checked them, said it would be $210. for the back brakes and I told them NO WAY. They said that someone had put the brake pads on backwards and they would fix them for free. Well as I looked on my invoice it said they charged me $78.00 to fix it. I am so ANGRY AND ****ED. I found out today so I have to sit and stew on it until tomorrow. UGH!!!!
I don't mean to be rude or anything, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way... BUT, why would you come on here and ask a question about something and say that you don't want to get ripped off, then completely disregard everything that people have recommended, and THEN come BACK on here and complain that you WERE ripped off?!? Doesn't make sense to me.

To save the hassle of everyone answering your original post, you should have just said, "I'm going to take my car to the dealer, and whatever they say is wrong, I'm going to let them fix for whatever the going rate is."

Honestly... the suggestions that everyone made were good ones. Slow down and LISTEN. Most of the time, the .org won't let you down.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:55 PM

he does have a point there...the org members are the best out there...for little things like your brakes...try to go to a brake shop...dont waste time and money on the dealer...some mechanics are REAL good...just go find a good one and trust them...

when i was new on the org(title: newbie)...i took everything to offense...DON'T!!! everyone well mostly everyone means good and write kindly ...thats why we are here!!!
************ .ORG ***********

hope everything works out! let us know what happens!

late
-Vishaal

(gettin a homepage soon??? wanna see the ride )
Old 12-29-2002, 11:13 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I dont care who you are or how much you know, the service writer can make you feel like a total idiot. AND they pretty much hold all the cards when your car is back there on the lift. Its kinda like sending food back to the chef, if its not done tactfully, you wont want what comes back.

Sure, I hate giving advice that doesnt get listened to, but I cant count the times at the Nissan dealer I thought I had ALL the info, I held all the cards (even with the TSB pre-printed as an ace-in-the-hole) only to come out being belittled, lied to, and alittle something extra wrong with my car.

Nothing infuriates me more than getting treated like a punk when I know 100X more than the guy with that damn clipboard... but it still happens. Its set up that way.

Seriously, try this when they suggest something. Tell them what *you* think it is. What do they say? "Where did you hear that?" "Oh on the internet? rrrright..." or hell, I've stood there with the TSB in hand and been told that you cant believe everything you see on the internet. I had to convince them it was on their CDROM. It was.. then all they wanted to know is *exactly* where I got it cause it p1ssed them off. ugh.

It happens to the best of us. Lighten up on her.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:37 PM

Just curious, but how much did they charge you for labor and how much for the part? Did they list the part number for the MAF?
Old 12-30-2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by TimW
... Lighten up on her.
Didn't mean to sound derogatory. I'm not trying to call her out as a fool or anything. Just trying to give some advice. I guess my methods could have been better. I know what you mean about having ALL of the information, but still being talked down to at the dealership. We've all been there, and I guess that's why it kind of irked me that someone asked for help and then ignored it. Oh well...

Again, BeckyT24, if I was out of line, I apologize, but PLEASE... listen to some of the people here before you just fork over money to satan!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:53 AM

I dont think you called her a fool, just saying she probably didnt ignore our advice - just wasnt given any opportunities to follow it I would imagine..
Old 12-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I posted my question I had already brought my car the the dealership. Then they told me what was wrong with it. I wanted to be sure if that sounded normal to people who may know about Nissan Maxima's. They told me that it would cost about $200 for the part and maybe an hour or two for labor. When I picked up my car it was way off. The part was only $120 or so and the labor was $156. Then they charged me $78.00 for turning my brake pads around when he told me that they would not charge me. I called him today and he is suppose to call me back but has not yet.

Anyway like I said I just wanted to be sure that was a legitimate problem and a 1/2 decent price. Really now what could I possibly do when my car was not very driveable. Take it to another mechanic? Trust someone else? Listen I am not sure if you know this or not but it is hard getting a mechanic not to talk down to me. I had to get my car fixed either by them or by someone else. It was not that I didn't take any advice on here. Thank you all for your help and comments even if some of then were MEAN
Old 12-30-2002, 03:23 PM

heh, on the 'mean scale' around here, you got about a 1 on a scale of 10
Old 12-30-2002, 03:25 PM

When I posted my question I had already brought my car the the dealership. Then they told me what was wrong with it. I wanted to be sure if that sounded normal to people who may know about Nissan Maxima's. They told me that it would cost about $200 for the part and maybe an hour or two for labor. When I picked up my car it was way off. The part was only $120 or so and the labor was $156. Then they charged me $78.00 for turning my brake pads around when he told me that they would not charge me. I called him today and he is suppose to call me back but has not yet.

Anyway like I said I just wanted to be sure that was a legitimate problem and a 1/2 decent price. Really now what could I possibly do when my car was not very driveable. Take it to another mechanic? Trust someone else? Listen I am not sure if you know this or not but it is hard getting a mechanic not to talk down to me. I had to get my car fixed either by them or by someone else. It was not that I didn't take any advice on here. Thank you all for your help and comments even if some of then were MEAN
If they just replaced the MAF sensor, I don't see justification in charging you for a two hour job, It should only take a most a half hour. It took me less than 20 minutes to take out my MAF sensor to clean it. However if they clean the throttle body and replaced other things then I think it sounds about right. Hope you get your Brake issue resolve.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:05 PM

BeckyT24 how many miles?

How many miles do you have on you Max and is it all stock?? Do you have a K&N air filter, or the nissan filter?
Old 12-30-2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by TimW
heh, on the 'mean scale' around here, you got about a 1 on a scale of 10
Appreciate it TimW. Now... do you think you could come tell that to my wife???

Sorry BeckyT24... here you go...

Can you EVER forgive me? LOL
Old 12-30-2002, 10:42 PM

Becky....people applogizing??? wow!!! i didnt even get that lol...

homepage??????????????????

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE

Appreciate it TimW. Now... do you think you could come tell that to my wife???

Sorry BeckyT24... here you go...

Can you EVER forgive me? LOL
Old 12-31-2002, 07:56 AM

b o g u s

When I posted my question I had already brought my car the the dealership. Then they told me what was wrong with it. Then they charged me $78.00 for turning my brake pads around

Turn pads around ?? maybe switch left to right... bogus $$, turn rotors, $$ maybe ...

when he told me that they would not charge me.[/B]

Make money for business ...

Trust someone else? [/B]
.ORG !!!
Old 12-31-2002, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sure no problem.....

My Maxima has 95k miles and I believe it is all stock. Hey BTW does anyone know a good and honest mechanic in mass or southern nh??

Thanks
Old 12-31-2002, 12:23 PM

Sure no problem.....

My Maxima has 95k miles and I believe it is all stock. Hey BTW does anyone know a good and honest mechanic in mass or southern nh??

Thanks
To get a better response, try the regional forums. Click on where is says United States.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:12 PM

Try calling Nissan North America about being charged for the pads being put in backwards...they may give you a check on as a "good faith" gesture (yeah, one of their people actually said that was the reason they were sending me a check when I had my fuel filler splash guard put on - but whatever, i don't care about the reason, I still got my money). Especially if it was the Nissan guys that put the pads on backwards, then it will be easy to get the money back. It will take them forever to process those checks though. Good luck!

oh, and Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-14-2003, 12:35 PM

Sure no problem.....

Thanks
As a woman, getting good service (with cars, electronics, mechanical stuff) can be hard. More credit should be given considering people like Becky DO exist and actually DO know what they're talking about. She sounds like she's trying hard to be educated about her car, which is more than can be said for the AVERAGE female.

I think it's attractive when women know stuff about cars. Even more so given that Becky drives a maxima! Big turn on here Becky, major props to you!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:00 PM

I guess the car is no longer under warranty?
Nissan replaced my MAF under warranty.