5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud Clunking from Rear!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 10:58 AM

Loud Clunking from Rear!!

Hi guys. My 2002 is pure stock . I'm a weekend driver. I have noticed this only when the Max has been sitting in the garage for a few days: After releasing the brakes (6spd), I begin to reverse out, and as she rolls back, I hear this NASTY clunking type of sound. Any ideas? It comes from the rear, and it sounds like I'm either driving over something, or something is snapping/breaking. After that loud sound, the car sounds perfect. This happend on Sat. and I took the car out on Sun. but there was no sound. That's why I think it does this after a few days. (Handbrake/regular brake sticking maybe???) Thanks for your help!

BTW, killed a V6 Mustang the other day, first time I really got on the car, and boy its swwwweeeeettttt!!!

Regards,

ShysMax
Old 12-23-2002, 11:03 AM

Re: Loud Clunking from Rear!!

Originally posted by shysmax
Hi guys. My 2002 is pure stock . I'm a weekend driver. I have noticed this only when the Max has been sitting in the garage for a few days: After releasing the brakes (6spd), I begin to reverse out, and as she rolls back, I hear this NASTY clunking type of sound. Any ideas? It comes from the rear, and it sounds like I'm either driving over something, or something is snapping/breaking. After that loud sound, the car sounds perfect. This happend on Sat. and I took the car out on Sun. but there was no sound. That's why I think it does this after a few days. (Handbrake/regular brake sticking maybe???) Thanks for your help!

BTW, killed a V6 Mustang the other day, first time I really got on the car, and boy its swwwweeeeettttt!!!

Regards,

ShysMax
Sounds like you're using your parking brake, and when you release it, it, the pads are sticking to the rotors. I've had that happen when any of my vehicles has sat not moving for a while. Especially if it rained while I was out. I've never really worried about it, because I don't think it is a big deal. Since you only drive the max on the weekends, then this leads me to believe what I said is what is going on.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Loud Clunking from Rear!!

Originally posted by shysmax

Regards,

ShysMax
actually there is a tsb out for a "clunk, rattle, or knocking noise from rear break caliper"

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/TSBScans/sb630807.pdf

the TSB refers to "a clunk, knock or rattle noise from the rear of the vehicle while driving on rough road surfaces or over harsh bumps"

there are specific vin numbers that the fix applies to so that the noise can be fixed under warranty

My car has been clunking for a while and I have been thinking that it was my rsb...but after reading the symptoms of the TSB and ways to test to see if that is what the problem is (lightly apply the parking brake while the incident occurs to verify if the noise is reduced or eliminated --if so..you need the fix--if not..look elsewhere)

anyways I have not taken my car in since discovering and rereading the TSB cause I just had knee surgery and have been banned from driving

but I will take her in when I'm given the go ahead to drive

good luck and I hope this helps!!
nette
Old 12-23-2002, 08:36 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Loud Clunking from Rear!!

let your mother-in-law out of your trunk man! she could sufficate in there!

sorry, bad humor...

-vq

Old 12-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Re: Loud Clunking from Rear!!

Yeah, I've been having that same noise on my car. I thought it was the RSB too, but after reading this, it could be my brakes.
Hmmm...