5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

JIC coilovers- did anybody put them on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:46 PM

JIC coilovers- did anybody put them on?

I wondered with all the talk that people would get them and this and that bluh bluh...Did anybody??????????????
Old 12-09-2002, 10:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

cobymoby... which is no longer here. I believe 1 or 2 others have done so too.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:04 PM

MaxRPM did on his 2k2
Old 12-09-2002, 11:46 PM

Re: JIC coilovers- did anybody put them on?

Originally posted by max'n out
I wondered with all the talk that people would get them and this and that bluh bluh...Did anybody??????????????
these are the cattman ones right??? - very expensive setup- if u just want it for the looks just springs will do fine - but for autoXing - its a different story
Old 12-09-2002, 11:48 PM

Re: Re: JIC coilovers- did anybody put them on?

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

these are the cattman ones right??? - very expensive setup- if u just want it for the looks just springs will do fine - but for autoXing - its a different story
Um NO, the ones cattman acually made are the cattman gen 2 which I have. They also have new ones that came out with now...I wasn't interested in coments one what I should get I don't even want teh JIC's. Just curioius with all the talk if anybody did and if so what they thought.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: JIC coilovers- did anybody put them on?

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

coilovers are better for springs when it comes to looks....

trust me!!!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How are they comparable to the Tein's? I was thinking about getting those.. Is there a site where we can get teh Jic's for cheap?
Old 12-10-2002, 06:08 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I inquired about them a couple of weeks ago. Unless you are road racing or auto-xing, they are a waste of $$ on a street car. If you want to lower your car, get some good springs and shocks.

Besides, the price for the JICs is like $1800

Old 12-10-2002, 10:44 AM

I am simplly amazed by this forum...I did not ask if I should get them or what I should get. I'm not even interested in getting them and people make suggestions.

I have the cattman coilovers as it is.

I simply asked if anybody did end up getting them and when they see this hopefully they will say somthing about them. This is part of being a car enthesisist is about. Knowing things, leave it at that.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:06 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Im amazed that people ask questions about something that they have no plans on buying it and are just wasting bandwidth..

Old 12-10-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
Im amazed that people ask questions about something that they have no plans on buying it and are just wasting bandwidth..
Thats part of being a car nut...Guess you just don't get it...But true car guys like to know as much as possible. I watch racing shows too, but I don't plan to race, guess thats a waste too.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:31 PM

I am simplly amazed by this forum...I did not ask if I should get them or what I should get. I'm not even interested in getting them and people make suggestions.

I have the cattman coilovers as it is.

I simply asked if anybody did end up getting them and when they see this hopefully they will say somthing about them. This is part of being a car enthesisist is about. Knowing things, leave it at that.
I thought about getting them when they were first coming out, but $1800 is a bit high for a regular street car like mine...but I didn't want to deal with any of the alterations that were needed on other aftermarket shocks to fit the 5thGen. Still debating...

How are the Cattman coilovers? Any alternations needed to fit? or direct replacement? How much?
Old 12-10-2002, 12:44 PM

I have the JICs and they are great! Still haven't had a chance to "tune" them because they came 4+ months late so I was only able to get one track day on them this year, can't wait until spring.

As fot the street I have the dampers set at 8 in the rear and 5 in the front. Rides almost like stock at slower speeds but at higher speeds gives a nice firm and planted feel, the floating is gone. but over abrupt bumps you will feel them!

The steering is much sharper and more precise at all speeds and I haven't even done an aligment since I installed them. yaya I know...

While I don't think they are cost effective for only street use I highly reccomend them for anyone who participates in Solo1/2 and does track days.

Why I bought them,

- Top notch craftmanship from reputable company
- 15 Way Adjustable Dampers
- Built in Camber Plates
- Adjustable ride height at the strut/damper level, keeps full damper movement unlike Ground Control and similar that adjust at the spring perch.

What I don't like,

- No English Documentation, not for install(was easy) but for tuning.
- ABS bracket not like stock, had to use wire to hold ABS cable.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:55 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Thats part of being a car nut...Guess you just don't get it...But true car guys like to know as much as possible. I watch racing shows too, but I don't plan to race, guess thats a waste too.
I get plenty. I have my track car (92 SE-R) that sees 5-6 road events and about a dozen auto-xs per year. You can't be a true car guy, those guys go out and enjoy racing their car on the tracks...

Old 12-10-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by HulaMAX

I thought about getting them when they were first coming out, but $1800 is a bit high for a regular street car like mine...but I didn't want to deal with any of the alterations that were needed on other aftermarket shocks to fit the 5thGen. Still debating...

How are the Cattman coilovers? Any alternations needed to fit? or direct replacement? How much?
The cattmans are good, pretty much about the same as what Max said about teh JIC's. Direct fit, they where 1800 retail. I don't think the JIC's are off price wise, if you look at any coilover kit, real coilover kit now days there around 1800.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by MaxRPM
I have the JICs and they are great! Still haven't had a chance to "tune" them because they came 4+ months late so I was only able to get one track day on them this year, can't wait until spring.

As fot the street I have the dampers set at 8 in the rear and 5 in the front. Rides almost like stock at slower speeds but at higher speeds gives a nice firm and planted feel, the floating is gone. but over abrupt bumps you will feel them!

The steering is much sharper and more precise at all speeds and I haven't even done an aligment since I installed them. yaya I know...

While I don't think they are cost effective for only street use I highly reccomend them for anyone who participates in Solo1/2 and does track days.

Why I bought them,

- Top notch craftmanship from reputable company
- 15 Way Adjustable Dampers
- Built in Camber Plates
- Adjustable ride height at the strut/damper level, keeps full damper movement unlike Ground Control and similar that adjust at the spring perch.

What I don't like,

- No English Documentation, not for install(was easy) but for tuning.
- ABS bracket not like stock, had to use wire to hold ABS cable.
I'm glad sombody finally replyed with an intelligant answer, I thank you sir. just one q off of what you said, do you hear any noises at all, at any speed, on bumps anything, in or out of the car. And does it ever bottom out, meaning do you hit the bump stops, did you trim them at all, and just how low from factory did you lower it.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:53 PM

I'm glad sombody finally replyed with an intelligant answer, I thank you sir. just one q off of what you said, do you hear any noises at all, at any speed, on bumps anything, in or out of the car. And does it ever bottom out, meaning do you hit the bump stops, did you trim them at all, and just how low from factory did you lower it.
if MaxRPM hasn't lowered it since i took this pic, this is how it looks - MaxRPM with JICs - he has some updated pics of his car with front spacers on his website, or you can do a search in the Canada forum for his post with "H&R Spacers"

i'll leave the rest of the questions for MaxRPM to answer
Old 12-23-2002, 10:35 PM

bttttgtqa