5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Waiting on 5th Bose Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Waiting on 5th Bose Head Unit

Dealer installed Bose unit #4 since April in our 2002 SE. It still does not work. Waiting on number 5. The original worked, but would occasionally lose sound from one or more speakers. Each one since, they play no CDs at all. The dealer swapped the one out of his 2002 just to check. It worked fine. They will be buying this one back under our states lemon law and we will be in an Accord or Acura. Our first and last Nissan. Sorry, had to rant. Our 1996 Taurus SHO had zero problems in five years, 76,000 miles. This one recall, recall, recall, bad paint, no CD changer for most of the time we have owned it.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:32 PM

lemon

Are you telling us that they are buying your car back because of a faulty stereo. If so , what state are you in so I can move!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:33 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

shame to have to buy a car back for the stereo :/ but its all in the details...

Do you already have arbitration setup? 'cause I've heard it can be quite a fight.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually, the dealer is the one steering us in this direction. I am in Kentucky and the law is kind of vague.

Here is the meat of the law in Kentucky:

367.842 Options of buyer if manufacturer unable to repair nonconformity in new motor vehicle -- Rights of lienholder -- Resolution of disputes -- Dealer not liable.

(1) If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer or its agents are unable to repair the nonconformity in the motor vehicle to the express warranty during the first twelve thousand (12,000) miles of operation or during the first twelve (12) months following the date of delivery to the buyer, whichever is the earlier date, that buyer shall report the nonconformity, in writing, to the manufacturer.

(2) If, within the period specified in subsection (1) of this section, the manufacturer or its agents, are unable to repair or correct any nonconformity or defect that substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle, after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer, at the option of the buyer, shall replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle, or accept return of the vehicle from the buyer and refund to the buyer the full purchase price. The full purchase price shall include the amount paid for the motor vehicle, finance charge, all sales tax, license fee, registration fee, and any similar governmental charges plus all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the buyer's use of the vehicle. Refunds shall be made to the buyer and lienholder, if any, as their interests may appear on the records of ownership kept by the Department of Vehicle Regulation. The provisions of this section shall not affect the interests of a lienholder, unless the lienholder consents to the replacement of the lien with a corresponding lien on the automobile accepted by the consumer in exchange for the automobile having a nonconformity, the lienholder shall be paid in full the amount due on the lien, including finance charges and other charges, before an exchange of automobiles or a refund to the consumer is made. It shall be an affirmative defense to any claim under this section that:

(a) The nonconformity, defect, or condition does not substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle; or

(b) The nonconformity, defect, or condition is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modification or alteration of the motor vehicle by the buyer.

(3) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranty if, within the first twelve thousand (12,000) miles of operation or during the period of, twelve (12) months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the buyer, whichever is the earlier date:

(a) The same nonconformity, defect, or condition has been subject to repair four (4) or more times by the manufacturer, but such nonconformity, defect, or condition continues to exist; or

(b) The vehicle is out of service/use by reason of repair of the same nonconformity, defect, or condition for a cumulative total of at least thirty (30) calendar days.

(4) Disputes arising under subsection (2) of this section concerning refund or replacement shall be resolved through the dispute resolution system established under either KRS 367.860 to 367.870, or 16 C.F.R. part 703. Such remedy shall be pursued prior to seeking any judicial relief under KRS 367.843.

(5) Nothing in this chapter may be construed as imposing any liability on a dealer or creating a cause of action by a consumer against a dealer.

(6) Nothing in this section shall in any way limit the rights or remedies which are otherwise available to a buyer under any other law.

(7) Any agreement entered into by a buyer for the purchase of a new motor vehicle which waives, limits, or disclaims the rights set forth in this section shall be void as contrary to public policy.

(8) Any action brought pursuant to this section shall be commenced within two (2) years after the date of original delivery of the new motor vehicle to the buyer.

(9) A court may award reasonable attorney's fees to a prevailing plaintiff.

I agree it would be a shame to have to buy a car back because of the stereo. It is also a shame they cannot get one good one in eight months. I will keep you posted. The dealer is tired of messing with it and is saying give it back. I tend to agree.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:33 PM

Did you like the maxima though? A radio problem seems like a stupid reason to ditch the whole car. Anyone think to check the speakers? Maybe the problem was there...You also could have purchased an aftermarket deck which would more than likely alleviate the problem.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Waiting on 5th Bose Head Unit

Originally posted by w_craig_wall
Dealer installed Bose unit #4 since April in our 2002 SE. It still does not work. Waiting on number 5. The original worked, but would occasionally lose sound from one or more speakers. Each one since, they play no CDs at all. The dealer swapped the one out of his 2002 just to check. It worked fine. They will be buying this one back under our states lemon law and we will be in an Accord or Acura. Our first and last Nissan. Sorry, had to rant. Our 1996 Taurus SHO had zero problems in five years, 76,000 miles. This one recall, recall, recall, bad paint, no CD changer for most of the time we have owned it.
I'm moving to Kentucky A.S.A.P. to see if I can ditch my japanese Yugo I mean Nissan Max.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
[B]Did you like the maxima though? A radio problem seems like a stupid reason to ditch the whole car.

Obviously you've never dealt with Bose Hu problems. I had my HU swapped out three times, still no dice. Finally last September it just plain outright stopped playing. I mean it figging stopped playing. Went to several Custom Shops that wanted me to entirely swap out all of the speakers and amp, to replace that HU. Total cost not including my Boston Acoustics Pro-Series 6.5 component set, $2,300, maybe a stereo problem is not such a small deal after all. One of the main selling points on the Max was, me not having to re-do the audio like I always have to. Total savings expected ? you guessed it about $2-3. I called www.crutchfield.com and got lucky, talked to the techs, installed an AIWA CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 in my Max, total cost $283 shipped. Well, I could go on and on ranting and raving about why he may have done the right thing. Don't forget brake problems, paint problems, sunroof problems, accelerator problems, you get my drift?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:48 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah, I agree.. going aftermarket isnt a small deal.. for one, you paid 1K for the Bose.. then you have to go out of pocket again to replace it.

BUT the main thing is not everyone (including myself) is really big on the risk of theft and the hassle that goes along with where you park, removing the face, and having your car gutted at any time.

I load the car up and shoot down to Dallas or over to Memphis, the last thing I want to tell my passengers, "hmmm, I can't find a safe enough parking space, lets go somewhere else instead of this cool downtown seedy place" Just an additional worry that I've grown out of wanting to deal with. 10 years ago, the Bose wouldnt have lasted a week.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:02 AM

Ditto

I am having my 4th HU replaced for the same problems.(Left side fades in and out /CD err ). I will be copying all 4 service invoices and a few posts like this one and request a total refund for the Bose system from Nissan.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by TimW
yeah, I agree.. going aftermarket isnt a small deal.. for one, you paid 1K for the Bose.. then you have to go out of pocket again to replace it.

BUT the main thing is not everyone (including myself) is really big on the risk of theft and the hassle that goes along with where you park, removing the face, and having your car gutted at any time.

I load the car up and shoot down to Dallas or over to Memphis, the last thing I want to tell my passengers, "hmmm, I can't find a safe enough parking space, lets go somewhere else instead of this cool downtown seedy place" Just an additional worry that I've grown out of wanting to deal with. 10 years ago, the Bose wouldnt have lasted a week.
I act like this just because I'm so paranoid of my HIDs, getting dings and dents, and lastly my stereo! It's a shame that we live in a world where we have to pay $1000 for a system that sucks so bad people won't even steal it!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:55 PM

Re: Ditto

Originally posted by tmiller02
I am having my 4th HU replaced for the same problems.(Left side fades in and out /CD err ). I will be copying all 4 service invoices and a few posts like this one and request a total refund for the Bose system from Nissan.

i like this idea. a lot!!!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a quick update. Bose CD changer number 5 is working so far. The dealer forgot to change the oil as instructed, so I guess the service is still the same. I will keep you posted on how well it works. I guess for now we will keep our lemon law information just in case. Good luck to everyone else on getting theirs fixed.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:27 PM

I just booked an appointment at my dealer on the 25th of this month. I have to go in for the DIM SES light and I might as well bring this up too while I am at it.
It skips in the morning when the car is cold, the subwoofer rattles when I put the music to level 14 and the base setting is on 0.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
I just booked an appointment at my dealer on the 25th of this month. I have to go in for the DIM SES light and I might as well bring this up too while I am at it.
It skips in the morning when the car is cold, the subwoofer rattles when I put the music to level 14 and the base setting is on 0.
Mine skips in the morning as well, but only if it's cold outside. After the car heats up a little bit it goes away. This is my original head unit and it has never given me an error, but the left speakers always fade in and out. I was thinking about getting a new HU, but after what I hear about the new(refurbished) ones not working at all, I might just put up with this one for a while.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
I am on my second BOSE unit. The whole left stide of the car kept cutting out while listening to CD's and it would skip like hell on a cold morning.
The dealer did not even make me reproduce the problem, they just ordered it and replaced it. This second one has been great. It was about 12 degrees this morning and NO SKIPPING!! I got the new unit about a month ago. Make sure that you insist on a BRAND NEW unit or else they will put a refurbished one in.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kronnman
Make sure that you insist on a BRAND NEW unit or else they will put a refurbished one in.
That's the key right there!!! Seems like people who've had it replaced with a NEW (non-refurbished) HU have had less problems.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man, you guys must have some really bad radios. going on 5 months now and i have had no problems on my radio at all.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MacAlert
man, you guys must have some really bad radios. going on 5 months now and i have had no problems on my radio at all.
I don't have any problems yet either (1000 miles/1.5 months) *knock on wood*. But some of the members here had problems occur later on (like after a year of ownership). Also, do you guys think playing CD-Rs is the culprit? My friends play CD-Rs in their cars, and none of them seem to have any problems as a result.

It's funny because until I found the .org I thought extremely highly of BOSE, but ever since then my opinion has come down DRASTICALLY!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:15 AM

replacing HU

I'm a newbie when it comes to car stereos-- if I have the bose package and just want to replace the HU with something like, say, a CD-Mp3 deck or a MD deck, am I going to have any problems? (I shouldn't have to replace speakers/amp, should I?)
Old 01-14-2003, 10:06 AM

My experience with Nissan

I currently own 4 Nissans and I enjoy them all. I have had great service from all four. I have Bose systems in two of my Nissans (2000 SE and 1990 300Z TT) The system in the Z has had all of the speakers rebuilt and works fine. No problem from the Max as of yet. I just bought it a month ago. One thing I know for sure when I have had problems, which is rare, and I have problems getting them remedied in a timely fashion at the dealership I call 1 800 NISSAN 1. Beleive me this works everytime! The Nissan corporation stands behind their cars. This is my primary reason for buying so many of their products. Give them a call and explain what you have been through. I am positive it will change your mind about the Nissan experience.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Banned

Re: My experience with Nissan

Originally posted by 3ZDUZIT
I currently own 4 Nissans and I enjoy them all. I have had great service from all four. I have Bose systems in two of my Nissans (2000 SE and 1990 300Z TT) The system in the Z has had all of the speakers rebuilt and works fine. No problem from the Max as of yet. I just bought it a month ago. One thing I know for sure when I have had problems, which is rare, and I have problems getting them remedied in a timely fashion at the dealership I call 1 800 NISSAN 1. Beleive me this works everytime! The Nissan corporation stands behind their cars. This is my primary reason for buying so many of their products. Give them a call and explain what you have been through. I am positive it will change your mind about the Nissan experience.
The thing about this is that some people have tried it, and Nissan just says that each dealership is individually owned and that they don't support them beyond shipping cars to them.

I personally have not had to deal with anything yet (only have had the car for 1.5 months as of now), but that's what I read on this board.

Do you have a particular person you talk to at Nissan Corp?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:13 AM

Re: Re: My experience with Nissan

Originally posted by vito1281

The thing about this is that some people have tried it, and Nissan just says that each dealership is individually owned and that they don't support them beyond shipping cars to them.

I personally have not had to deal with anything yet (only have had the car for 1.5 months as of now), but that's what I read on this board.

Do you have a particular person you talk to at Nissan Corp?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:30 AM

Re Nissan Experience

I find that hard to beleive. I have called the corporation on at least 5 occasions over the last 12 years and in each case they opened a file pursued each situation with the dealership and in the end my needs were met to my satisfaction everytime. I live in California but I do not think that should make any difference. I bought a 2k Max for my mother who now lives in Fla. Recently the idiot dealership charged for a warranted breakdown (coil). They refused to do it for free. I called the digits and they handled it with the dealer. My mom was given a check within the week. I have other examples but I do not want to bore you with those details. The bottom line is this for me. Everytime I called they took care of business. Currently I am speaking with a lady at extension 3878. I forgot her name. One more example. I just called her (the woman at EXT. 3878) last week and asked if TSB's are covered under their warranty. She said no. They pay for recalls only. I stated that I just purchased my Nissan recently. I mentioned that I have owned a number of Nissan over the years (you could refer to the way you have been treated by your local dealer as leverage) and did not think this was reasonable. She requested that I get the work done and submit the bill to them for review. She felt confident they would take care of it. I did not go last week but she called me last night to see if I had the work done yet because I had not faxed in the bill yet. She was following up and I appreciate that. I will let you know what becomes of this. Just give them call start a file just in case the Bose does break down again. Let them take care of this once and for all.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

Re: Re Nissan Experience

I find that hard to beleive. I have called the corporation on at least 5 occasions over the last 12 years and in each case they opened a file pursued each situation with the dealership and in the end my needs were met to my satisfaction everytime. I live in California but I do not think that should make any difference. I bought a 2k Max for my mother who now lives in Fla. Recently the idiot dealership charged for a warranted breakdown (coil). They refused to do it for free. I called the digits and they handled it with the dealer. My mom was given a check within the week. I have other examples but I do not want to bore you with those details. The bottom line is this for me. Everytime I called they took care of business. Currently I am speaking with a lady at extension 3878. I forgot her name. One more example. I just called her (the woman at EXT. 3878) last week and asked if TSB's are covered under their warranty. She said no. They pay for recalls only. I stated that I just purchased my Nissan recently. I mentioned that I have owned a number of Nissan over the years (you could refer to the way you have been treated by your local dealer as leverage) and did not think this was reasonable. She requested that I get the work done and submit the bill to them for review. She felt confident they would take care of it. I did not go last week but she called me last night to see if I had the work done yet because I had not faxed in the bill yet. She was following up and I appreciate that. I will let you know what becomes of this. Just give them call start a file just in case the Bose does break down again. Let them take care of this once and for all.
Ok, when I need to get something done, I'll keep this in mind--hopefully it'll work for me as well as it has for you.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Banned

Re: Re Nissan Experience

Oh, and by the way, next time you talk to the 3878 lady, ask her about the missing 15 hp, and what Nissan has to say about that. I'm sure you've heard of this story by now, but it'd be interesting to see what they say.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:36 PM

no time to take it to the service dept.

I'm on my 2nd HU. It still screws up every now and then... especially during cold mornings. It makes the wierdest sounds when switching cds. Very frustrating when it doesn't even play at all. How many more times should I exchange it before i ask for my $1000 back. That's 1/25 of the price i paid for the damn car.