5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:54 PM

Question about Bose speakers

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery on my '03 SE on 12/31/02 and I'm already in love with it! This is my 2nd Maxima (first one being a '91 5spd). I've been checking out everyone's rides and reading the threads for the last week now and figured I'd drop a line. Everyone seems very helpful and I've already learned alot about my new ride. To dcook22: I'm also in Queens and have all the concerns you do. I'm looking to have a good aftermarket alarm installed as well as a hood lock. I'll be following the responses you get very closely. Hope you don't mind...

I do have a question re the Bose system. Sooner or later I'd like to replace the front speakers with a set of Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pros. I had them in my first Maxima and absolutely loved them. In the '91, it was a real pain to replace any component in the audio system since the Bose speakers were powered by individual amps mounted onto each speaker. I ended up replacing the entire system including getting a new HU. My question is: are the new Bose systems set up the same way or can I just do a plug-&-play? It would be a shame if I had the gut a brand-new system that I just paid for!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy
Old 01-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The new system is slightly different. Each speaker is powered by a central amp that is under the rear dash on the passenger side. Only issue if you might have to run new speaker wires from your new aftermarket amp to the doors.

Dixit
Old 01-02-2003, 09:34 PM

I beleive that you will just need some connectors(like adapters), to continue using the original speaker wire. Just replaced my Hu with an AIWA last week. Go to www.crutchfield.com their techs were really helpful. My only problem is that I already have a set of 6.5 pro-series that I own. I'll probably try to replace them in the next month or so. I'll also try to replace the 5.5's on the back doors.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by rubman
I beleive that you will just need some connectors(like adapters), to continue using the original speaker wire. Just replaced my Hu with an AIWA last week. Go to www.crutchfield.com their techs were really helpful. My only problem is that I already have a set of 6.5 pro-series that I own. I'll probably try to replace them in the next month or so. I'll also try to replace the 5.5's on the back doors.
Welcome!!!

one thing you have to try to get rid of is the bose sub
Old 01-03-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by rubman
I believe we got the same 4 speakers on all doors. 6.5" on all 4 doors will work.

Bose is like a 6.25" I believe.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Why does the bose sub suck so much? Is it the design or the sub? or???
Old 01-03-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by augie
Why does the bose sub suck so much? Is it the design or the sub? or???
People dont understand that Bose doesnt design their systems to play hip hop or rock music. It is meant to play classical and most music at a resonable level. Even if you play Hip hop on it at "their" resonable level, it does sound good.

Just that we want it louder, louder means more power and it aint designed for that.

Like trying to make a huge go 150-200mph.

Dixit
Old 01-03-2003, 11:00 AM

I think this thread should be renamed to "Question about BLOWS speakers"
Just my $0.02
Old 01-03-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I believe we got the same 4 speakers on all doors. 6.5" on all 4 doors will work.

Bose is like a 6.25" I believe.
On the 2k3 the bose is 6.5" (or 6.75") in the fronts and 5.25" in the rear. 6.5" speakers will fit all the way around with no problem, but you have to make new mounting brakets for them. I did that out of MDF (1" thick) and they fit like a glove.

The only nice thing about the Bose system is that the wires all converge at the bose amp in the trunk. Therefore, you can use the wiring from your amp to the Bose wiring harness in the trunk to get to the doors. If you want to do components, you will have to run a separate wire for the tweets from the x-over.

The wires that come out of the bose amp are only FR, FL, RR, RL. I've read that the tweeters in the front pillars are wired to the doors and have a resistor on the line to kill the low freqencies. I'll find out tonight as I spend yet more time on this system.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by spta97

The wires that come out of the bose amp are only FR, FL, RR, RL. I've read that the tweeters in the front pillars are wired to the doors and have a resistor on the line to kill the low freqencies. I'll find out tonight as I spend yet more time on this system.
Ypi are 100% right there. It only has 4wires going to the amp and the tweeters are tapped off through the front line using a resistor.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by spta97

On the 2k3 the bose is 6.5" (or 6.75") in the fronts and 5.25" in the rear. 6.5" speakers will fit all the way around with no problem, but you have to make new mounting brakets for them. I did that out of MDF (1" thick) and they fit like a glove.

The only nice thing about the Bose system is that the wires all converge at the bose amp in the trunk. Therefore, you can use the wiring from your amp to the Bose wiring harness in the trunk to get to the doors. If you want to do components, you will have to run a separate wire for the tweets from the x-over.

Any pics possible would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm being a little bit greedy. Thanx.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:15 PM
vqman

Re: Question about Bose speakers

Originally posted by AYAYAY
Hi everyone,

I just took delivery on my '03 SE on 12/31/02 and I'm already in love with it! This is my 2nd Maxima (first one being a '91 5spd). I've been checking out everyone's rides and reading the threads for the last week now and figured I'd drop a line. Everyone seems very helpful and I've already learned alot about my new ride. To dcook22: I'm also in Queens and have all the concerns you do. I'm looking to have a good aftermarket alarm installed as well as a hood lock. I'll be following the responses you get very closely. Hope you don't mind...

I do have a question re the Bose system. Sooner or later I'd like to replace the front speakers with a set of Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pros. I had them in my first Maxima and absolutely loved them. In the '91, it was a real pain to replace any component in the audio system since the Bose speakers were powered by individual amps mounted onto each speaker. I ended up replacing the entire system including getting a new HU. My question is: are the new Bose systems set up the same way or can I just do a plug-&-play? It would be a shame if I had the gut a brand-new system that I just paid for!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy
I haven't been into car audio in a few years, but Boston Pros are the only way to go...

I had the 5 1/2's in my 1987 Honda Accord LXi...wonderful speakers...They can take alot....

I hate my BOSE stereo, but I was lucky to talk the wife into buying the 2k3 SE Max, because it was either upgrade the BOSE and the leather in my 1998 Maxima, or get a new Maxima...I got the new Maxima...

Go with the Boston Pro Series...like you want, and I think the new system is a "plug-n-play"...

you don't HAVE to replace the amplifier, but it's kinda weak, and you may find yourself needing to. Previous BOSE systems-you had to replace the head unit, speakers, and amps...I think you can get away with just replacing speakers in the new system....i'm pretty sure...but not positive...i was to lazy to read the entire thread, but www.crutchfield.com will tell you what your car can do...a person will actually email you back (they have good cust service) and you can find out all you need to know----if no one hear answered your question...yes, I'm lazy....i will prolly read after I post though...to see if any homers flamed on your BOstons...

I would also see about screwing down your subwoofer mounting, seems they are the source for alot of rattles...even w/light bass.

-vq

Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

interesting info. I wonder, can u use stock wiring on aftermarket system? will the wiring be good enough for a descently powered system? What about non bose systems?