5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why all the problems with the 2K2 & 2k3 models

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 08:51 AM

Why all the problems with the 2K2 & 2k3 models

I visit the .ORG on a regular basis and all I seem to hear about is problems with the 2K2 & 2k3 Models! I own a 2K SE and have never had a problem with the car. It has over 60,000 miles and has never had a problem. I keep reading about all the problems with the new models and I'm wondering if Nissan has been cutting corners, or what going on! I owned a 96 SE,(that I traded in on my 00), and it was also a perfect car, for 4 straight years. I was thinking of possibly trading in on an 04, but I'm not sure now. Seems like the Max is not as reliable as it use to be! I hope Nissan gets thier Sh it together soon, and quit cuttting corners. I guess I'll keep my 00, and wait till 05 to see if they get the new model back on track!

john
Old 01-11-2003, 09:15 AM
vqman

Re: Why all the problems with the 2K2 & 2k3 models

Originally posted by John2KSE
I visit the .ORG on a regular basis and all I seem to hear about is problems with the 2K2 & 2k3 Models! I own a 2K SE and have never had a problem with the car. It has over 60,000 miles and has never had a problem. I keep reading about all the problems with the new models and I'm wondering if Nissan has been cutting corners, or what going on! I owned a 96 SE,(that I traded in on my 00), and it was also a perfect car, for 4 straight years. I was thinking of possibly trading in on an 04, but I'm not sure now. Seems like the Max is not as reliable as it use to be! I hope Nissan gets thier Sh it together soon, and quit cuttting corners. I guess I'll keep my 00, and wait till 05 to see if they get the new model back on track!

john
I think the only "problems" are an alleged 15 horsepower that's missing...and the 6 speed tranny...

do you have an auto or manual? if you're buying the automatic...there aren't to many problems...if any...

-vq

Old 01-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

it is reliable...just things like MAFS and stiff mess up from people putting unoiled filters and mess with mods..

I am positive, if you drive the car, no mods, usual driving , you wont have issues.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:10 AM

I agree with John2KSE. I seem to have this impression that the 2K2/3 are a lot more problematic than the 2K/1. I don't know...all these small electrical problems with the sunroof and windows, the 6-speed tranny, the MAFs, etc.
My impression is probably skewed...
Old 01-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You also have to remeber most of the members here are going to start treads about what's wrong with their cars, so other members can input a solution to their fix their problems. Granted you'll get the few members who praise their max's, but the majority of the tread's will be negative.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because I want a '02/'03 max soon, and all these problems are giving me second thoughts.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:52 AM

I love my 2003 Maxima SE. Its a huge step up from American engineering. Went through many Chevy's in the past. The build quality is incomparable. Its actually fun to drive, and even with the automatic, has plently of power. I have 5000 miles on it now, and the only "mod" I have so far is snow tires and a Bel 980 radar detector. Better to be safe than sorry. Its a hell of a change from my old Olsmobile Cutlass Ciera. Also, my service dept (Middletown Nissan) has been great thus so far. All I've had done is oil changes, but everytime I come in, they ask me how I like the car, and if there is anything wrong they can fix. So what if it "only" has 240 hp? It can still run with the best of them, in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:06 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

it appears that the vendor they chose for switches and relays was the lowest bidder I suspect when you're packing in all those features and keep the price the same, something has to budge somewhere.

Really, nothing that anyone complains about is out of the ordinary for any car. The main problem is that people end up talking about it here because Nissan wont fix it for them. No matter how small the problem, its always a hassle. If you have a dealer with a good service department, there is nothing about a 02/03 that should scare you away.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by killer2002SE
it is reliable...just things like MAFS and stiff mess up from people putting unoiled filters and mess with mods..

I am positive, if you drive the car, no mods, usual driving , you wont have issues.
exactly. thats why i have no performance mods. i want intake but it could cause problems. and i have the max because its a luxury 4door, not a honda. i love the sleeper look and sound.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:06 PM

2002 6spd Maxima here, 0 count em, 0 problems! I have the best suspension and brake mods and go to the race regularly and have 0 problems.

Oh wait I do have one problem, when playing CDs the left side speakers cut out intermittenly.

Oh no, damn **** car must get rid of it and sue Nissan for missing sound fron leftside speakrs. Nissan sucks, dumb asz losers don't know ****e about building cars. Anyone want to join me in a class action lawsuit?
Old 01-11-2003, 06:55 PM

My '03 SE has 400 miles on it so far, best car I've ever owned. All the problems I've had thus far were all dealer inflicted. THe rotors warped in under 150 miles which is really strange, but the service manager said the car sat for almost 4 weeks when it was delivered and the rotors rusted up, that got 'em lumpy. Sounds plausible. I was really upset about the rotors at first until I talked to service, I bought their explanation.

I love the '03 SE rims but they are an uncommon size. My favorite tires are dunlop SP 5000 and they don't make that size for them.

Compared to the other MTs I've owned, the 6 speed is actually very smooth. No nothciness. I like the ratios. THere's a whine in 2nd that's common from what I've read but it's not bothering me anymore after looking into it further. Besides, the 5/50k warranty make ya feel safe.

It's a seriously nice car for the money. so far
Old 01-11-2003, 09:42 PM

I think most of us on this site are hypersensitive to everything, and I'm including myself. We are obviously perfectionists in many ways or we wouldn't be on this site trying to figure out the next best mod and how to fix all of our "problems". Truth of the matter is I really don't think we have that many problems, and very few serious ones. We need to be careful and not over critical of our cars, don't you think? There isn't another car in this price range on the road today that I'd rather be in. I tend to believe they are still a cut above their domestic counterparts and on par with the imports in their class. As someone said, I think it is the service that makes it seem so bad. Maybe I'm an n of 1, but my cars have been pretty much trouble free; at least if there was trouble, it was minor and quickly taken care of.

srm