5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are 17's faster than 16's

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 06:28 PM

I was wondering if a bigger tire would slow you down. But, everbody in here seems to like 17's. Wouldn't 16's be lighter and more able to spin faster than 17's since it has a smaller circumfrence? To avoid the spinning off of a 16, couldn't you get some high performance Dunlop tires to aleviate that?

Also, when you floor you car is the tires suppose to squeal and spin for a few seconds, or just go ?
Old 01-04-2001, 06:44 PM
Got Bent?

Larger wheels are generally heavier than smaller wheels and, thus, 17's may be slower than 16's. But, the handling of 17" wheels is better than that of 16" wheels so there is a tradeoff. I think 17's are a good compromise between the two. As for spinning your tires, that has to do with how well your tires grip.
Old 01-04-2001, 07:27 PM

It depends on the rim and tire. A 19" magnesium rim with low profile tires is much lighter than a 14" aluminum rim with the same overall diameter tire. I would say that 16" rims are a waste of money. 17 and up or theres no point of buying rims.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by 68Stang
It depends on the rim and tire. A 19" magnesium rim with low profile tires is much lighter than a 14" aluminum rim with the same overall diameter tire. I would say that 16" rims are a waste of money. 17 and up or theres no point of buying rims.

ye what stang said... plus also if u increase the whole diameter of the tire+rim then in one rotation it can move you farther than with a smaller diameter... so u can get larger rims made out of a lighter material and u will have better handling, lighter and bigger overall diameter so it will result in faster accel... but if u are considering this u must adjust the computer to the new tire size... otherwise u must stick to the overall diameter that is the same as stock... so u could just get rims that are lighter and that will still make u better..
Old 01-04-2001, 10:22 PM

The bigger the tire, the better the "go" :-). Look at it like this; have you seen how big the rear wheels are on those drag racers? It basicly takes more rotations of a smaller tire to equal the rotations (equaly proportioned) of a larger tire. So, one can surmise, that yes, the bigger the tire, the faster you go.
As far as squeeling tires, if you floor the car from a standstill, you cant avoid this. No tire will just "go" when you floor a car from a stand-still.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:32 AM

ADJUST?

ye what stang said... plus also if u increase the whole diameter of the tire+rim then in one rotation it can move you farther than with a smaller diameter... so u can get larger rims made out of a lighter material and u will have better handling, lighter and bigger overall diameter so it will result in faster accel... but if u are considering this u must adjust the computer to the new tire size... otherwise u must stick to the overall diameter that is the same as stock... so u could just get rims that are lighter and that will still make u better.. [/I][/QUOTE]

Adjust the Computer? ummm? you got me there? I know about recalibration, but adjusting? You do mean if choose not to use plus sizing right! Cause if not I don't know what the hell your talking about.
Old 01-05-2001, 06:02 AM
Got Bent?

Re: ADJUST?

Originally posted by CIRCO

Adjust the Computer? ummm? you got me there? I know about recalibration, but adjusting? You do mean if choose not to use plus sizing right! Cause if not I don't know what the hell your talking about.
If you put wheels and tires on your car that have a larger overall diamter than stock, you will need to recalibrate the speedo and odometer to refelct the difference. That is why you should keep the overall diameter at least close to stock when getting plus-sized wheels and tires.
Old 01-05-2001, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by psing23
Originally posted by 68Stang

ye what stang said... plus also if u increase the whole diameter of the tire+rim then in one rotation it can move you farther than with a smaller diameter... so u can get larger rims made out of a lighter material and u will have better handling, lighter and bigger overall diameter so it will result in faster accel... but if u are considering this u must adjust the computer to the new tire size... otherwise u must stick to the overall diameter that is the same as stock... so u could just get rims that are lighter and that will still make u better..
Absolutely wrong!!! If you increase the overall diameter of the wheel/tire assembly without any other changes your acceleration and cornering will both get worse. A larger diameter means effectively higher gearing - slower acceleration. A taller wheel/tire means a higher car - worse cornering. Dragsters use tall tires with very low gearing to get good acceleration. The tall tire has a very long contact patch, so good traction. If you want make the wheel/tire assembly taller on a Maxima you need to change the final drive to correct as well as the speedo calibration.

Dave