5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RSTB vs. RSB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 07:26 PM

RSTB vs. RSB?

Why is the effect of the RSB more noticeable than the application of the RSTB.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: RSTB vs. RSB?

Originally posted by LegalNinja
Why is the effect of the RSB more noticeable than the application of the RSTB.
My guess would be because the RSB actually affects the suspension of the car, changing its actions. The RSTB only takes effect when the chassis is flexing (strut towers are moving), and keeps them more still.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: RSTB vs. RSB?

Originally posted by Maximax2

My guess would be because the RSB actually affects the suspension of the car, changing its actions. The RSTB only takes effect when the chassis is flexing (strut towers are moving), and keeps them more still.
That's pretty much it. The RSTB on a 5th gen isn't really needed and you need to make small holes in the trunk to reach the struts. I think the only ones who get it are the perfectionists
On the other hand, most people can't believe the difference the RSB makes when they've first installed it.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:29 PM

-they both act as braces to the structure/chassis of the car. Think of it as a box with upper and lower lids. Being at the bottom, the RSB is more noticeable since it interacts with the suspension more...that is it helps level the rear suspension by stiffen the frame from flexing/twisting when cornering hard. The RSTB will further reinforced that by absorbing the impacts and keep the structure from flexing which reduces the vibration.
-most members on this forum have stated that the RSTB is useless. I don't agree! I have both of them and each was installed in sequence (not the same time). I noticed benefits from both of these bars. Now if you have both installed, then you're only completed the "box" from the rear end of the car. You also need to brace the front end with FSTB and install a subframe connectors to the sides (stage-1) and under body of the structure (stage-2). If all is done, the chassis will be completed which will allow the suspension to function at its peak.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:08 PM

well, vmaximus, i agree and disagree with you, though my knowledge is mroe theoretical since I don't have a rstb. (1)The 5th gen has a solid steel plate right under the trunk that connects both strut towers, already limiting any flexing that might occur in the same way and almost the same placement as a RSTB. (2)There is less flexing between the rear strut towers than the front because the cornering forces aren't as great on the rears as the front, so that even without the metal plate, the difference wouldn't be as noticeable. (3)your box analogy is a little off, at least as i understand it. The RSB and the RSTB have two different uses. the RSB stops sway by limiting the difference in travel between the left and right suspension, by 'holding' them together through its bends. this increases the tracking ability and makes the car lean less in turns, giving it a better center of gravity and lettiong your tires work better. The RSTB acts exactly as the FSTB does, only less so, because there si less need. A STB simply holds the strut towers together so that they don't flex apart in turns. In the front, this means crisper turn in and a tighter 'feel' because those are the cornering wheels, and the forces are greater there - but in the rear, the tracking just follows the fronts, generally.

Now, is there an actual testable gain from a RSTB, but for your average to involved performance maxima driver, the FSTB and RSb are a much better combo.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the lesson. NOt to sound cheap but, how much and how time consuming is the RSB and frame connection portions of the modification. Also, will my dealer want to act funny when I present warranty concerns about the suspension if/when I do these mods. Maybe I should just wait until the warranty expires.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Maxima Pilot

RSB increases the rear roll stiffness by

creating a torsional effect when one of the rear wheels attempts to move up on the suspension while the other moves down on the suspension -as when cornering...inside wheel extends down from the body as the suspension unloads, outside wheel pushes up into the body as suspension loads up.

Because it ties the wheels together torsionally, the RSB resists the efforts of the outside wheel's suspension to compress and the inner wheel's suspension to extend, thereby flattening cornering. Also, by tranfering more roll resistance to the rear, helps neutralize the Max's ponderous (stock) understeer. It has nothing to to with 'boxing' anything, all it affects is basic suspension (roll resistance) dynamics.

Axel is right on & I agree that the RSTB provides no benefits unless (unless unless unless) one is riding on super-hard springs. That area is already the strongest portion of the chassis with the roof, C pillars, the compound curving in the floor pan area and all the bracing from the rear shelving area...your money, your call.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by LegalNinja
Thanks for the lesson. NOt to sound cheap but, how much and how time consuming is the RSB and frame connection portions of the modification. Also, will my dealer want to act funny when I present warranty concerns about the suspension if/when I do these mods. Maybe I should just wait until the warranty expires.
It depends on your dealer for your warranty work, though in the end you always have legal recourse, but not many people want to do that. I got the addco rsb for $119 shipped, i bought $30 ramps from autozone and it took me probably 1 hour getting on, just cuz it was my first mod other than putting on a cone intake. very easy, i didn't have to move anythign around, thiouhg it might have been easier if i had...
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 PM

The RSB is just a brace. If you look at the RSB made by Stillen. All it does is tied the frame together, not the suspension. As regards to the rstb, I was skeptical at first. But after I had it installed, I did noticed the difference immediately. It just made the rear more solid. The rstb that I have is not from Stillen, it was purchased from http://www.rvmracing.com for about $50. IMO, It is well worth the investment..though installation can be a little challenge.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:36 PM

Re: RSB increases the rear roll stiffness by

Originally posted by Galo
creating a torsional effect when one of the rear wheels attempts to move up on the suspension while the other moves down on the suspension -as when cornering...inside wheel extends down from the body as the suspension unloads, outside wheel pushes up into the body as suspension loads up.

Because it ties the wheels together torsionally, the RSB resists the efforts of the outside wheel's suspension to compress and the inner wheel's suspension to extend, thereby flattening cornering. Also, by tranfering more roll resistance to the rear, helps neutralize the Max's ponderous (stock) understeer. It has nothing to to with 'boxing' anything, all it affects is basic suspension (roll resistance) dynamics.

Axel is right on & I agree that the RSTB provides no benefits unless (unless unless unless) one is riding on super-hard springs. That area is already the strongest portion of the chassis with the roof, C pillars, the compound curving in the floor pan area and all the bracing from the rear shelving area...your money, your call.
-I was trying to decribe the effects of the RSB in a way that one's can visualized it easily (at least to me). Though it might not sound technical, I believe my analogy points to the same idea.
-If you have the OEM struts/springs replaced with the aftermarket product, likely you will not notice the effects from the RSTB.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:46 AM

Go to http://www.addco.net/install.shtml. The have pictures and text on how the RSB works.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:35 AM

I had Stillen RSB on my 2000 SE and felt some little difference but nothing major. Rear of Maxima already pretty solid. Adding RSB doesn't do that much.

I wouldn't waste money on it. Get yourself a set of H&R springs and the car will look and ride better.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:38 AM

Re: RSB increases the rear roll stiffness by

Originally posted by Galo

Well said.

just to add...
Like Galo already said, a sway bar tansfers spring tension from the unloaded tire to the loaded tire to help level the car during weight transfer (i.e. in a turn).

In extreme cases, with really big sway bars and hard cornering (race style), the inside / unloaded tire will actually lift off the ground in a hard croner. They call that "hunting for a fire hydrant" or something like that because it looks like a dog with its leg up ready to take a pi$$.

As the outside (loaded) tire compresses it forces the sway bar up which also pushes up on the unloaded tire. The unloaded tire donates spring pressure back to the loaded tire. With a big sway bar and a hard corner, it'll compress the unloaded tire so much that it lifts off the ground - I'm just using that as an example in an extreme case which deomonstrates how a sway bar works.