5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

engine blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine blown

has anyone here every had this problem? i own a 2000 max with 38000 miles on it, ive alked to the service manager a he told me that the engines on the 2000 and above max can run with no oil in them. but anyway the car sounds like you were in a greyhound bus station.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:09 AM

Re: engine blown

Originally posted by buckstone
has anyone here every had this problem? i own a 2000 max with 38000 miles on it, ive alked to the service manager a he told me that the engines on the 2000 and above max can run with no oil in them. but anyway the car sounds like you were in a greyhound bus station.

I'm confused....did you blow your engine because you didn't have any oil in it?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: engine blown

Originally posted by Bulldawg

I'm confused....did you blow your engine because you didn't have any oil in it?
yes it had oil in it. heres what happened. i was traveling up to brooking sd. 60 miles out of omaha the inside widows started to for up but all the gauges were fine. then i started to hear a ticking sound, so i pulled off at the next exit to check things out. when i got to the top of the exit ramp the oil light starts to flicker off and on. so i get to the closest gas station. i chech the oil and every thing is just fine. i get back in the car and head on my merry way, about 1 mile on the highway things start to go crazy smoke is pouring out the rear and the engine sounds as if minnie me is inside beating with a 3lb hammer. and i was going about 70mph
Old 01-14-2003, 07:28 AM
Maxima Pilot

Damn! Cant tell by your profile if u have any

mods...do you? are you a hard driver? Have u had the car since new and perhaps flogged it in any way? Any prior history of bad MAFs or any other thrown code/engine work?

Not trying to pin any blame at all, just curious on the long-term condition/use of the car since this is the second blown engine in the last couple of weeks on this forum -although on that one, we all know the reason..NOS!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Damn! Cant tell by your profile if u have any

Originally posted by Galo
mods...do you? are you a hard driver? Have u had the car since new and perhaps flogged it in any way? Any prior history of bad MAFs or any other thrown code/engine work?

Not trying to pin any blame at all, just curious on the long-term condition/use of the car since this is the second blown engine in the last couple of weeks on this forum -although on that one, we all know the reason..NOS!!!
i bought it brand new, i dont drive it hard. i havent had any engine work done on it but ive had the brakes worked on it, and ive started to notice a problem with the tranny slipping. it was due for maint at the end of the month
Old 01-14-2003, 07:42 AM

You said your windows started to fog up? Sounds like you blew the heater core. This can let the engine overheat because it isn't getting any coolant, but the gauge won't show it if the sending unit get's uncovered. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Maxima Pilot

snj may have a good reason. Regardless,

sounds to me you have a new engine coming, courtesy of Nissan's powertrain warranty!

If you can prove you have reasonably maintained your car (receipts for oil changes, etc) and have no mods, accidents or history of problems, slam dunk -and dont take anything else for an answer from Nissan...

Good luck
Old 01-14-2003, 07:57 AM

First the service manager must be a dope. These engines can't run with out oil cause metal to metal friction, no matter how well built an engine, will destroy the engine. I had a problem with the oil pump on my car. It failed, thus no oil circulating through the engine. End result severe scorching in the engine. They ended up replacing the engine (under warranty).

The tranny slip you talk about is a documented problem with 00 autos (assuming you have an auto). Unfortunately it looks like you have run out the warranty period and they probably won't cover, even though there is a TSB out on it.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think he blew a head gasket. That would account for the smoke out the back of his car.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: engine blown

Originally posted by buckstone
Doesn't matter what the problem is.

From the sound it is drive train, and that is still under warantee: 5yr./55K. If not, only being 2K out of full warantee, you can talk to Nissan NA and they will probably cover it under Goodwill anyway.

Ask me, I just got a new engine, compliments of Nissan NA, and I broke a piston rod while on Nitrous at 39K miles.

If your service manager doesn't sound like he wants to help, go elsewhere, and find another Nissan dealer that wants your business.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Jer

Oil pump eh? Sounds like an f-body problem

This is actually the 3rd 5th gen engine failure it seems - the 3rd being a week or two ago in NYC when one of our Canadian forum members went down for a trip. He's in Toronto, but his car is still in NYC! There's a nice big hole in his block ..

Originally posted by max2001se
First the service manager must be a dope. These engines can't run with out oil cause metal to metal friction, no matter how well built an engine, will destroy the engine. I had a problem with the oil pump on my car. It failed, thus no oil circulating through the engine. End result severe scorching in the engine. They ended up replacing the engine (under warranty).

The tranny slip you talk about is a documented problem with 00 autos (assuming you have an auto). Unfortunately it looks like you have run out the warranty period and they probably won't cover, even though there is a TSB out on it.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think he blew a head gasket. That would account for the smoke out the back of his car.
My guess would be that you and snj2k2 are both right. The heater core (or a connection into it) blew, letting the coolant drain. Engine overheats, heads finally warp, blowing the head gasket and letting water (whatever was left) into the cylinders.

My knowledge of this comes from having the exact same thing happen to my truck in high school...