5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

Having the Nisssan HID Theft Kit installed this weekend. It must be really new. I bought it from Courtsey and when I brought into my local dealer, they were amazed, they even wrote the part number down so they could order it themselves. They also had an add on alarm that could be installed to protect the lights from being stolen. I did that as well for $350. Anyone have experince with these types of alarms, apparrently it integrates into the exsiting Nissan Alarm but is Active as opposed to passive.

Anyway, it seems like this is really all that can be done to protect the HID's, if they steal them after this, I give up!

Tom
Old 01-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Banned

Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

Originally posted by grey2002_ny
Having the Nisssan HID Theft Kit installed this weekend. It must be really new. I bought it from Courtsey and when I brought into my local dealer, they were amazed, they even wrote the part number down so they could order it themselves. They also had an add on alarm that could be installed to protect the lights from being stolen. I did that as well for $350. Anyone have experince with these types of alarms, apparrently it integrates into the exsiting Nissan Alarm but is Active as opposed to passive.

Anyway, it seems like this is really all that can be done to protect the HID's, if they steal them after this, I give up!

Tom
What's this alarm that they added? How exactly does it work/protect the lights?
Old 01-17-2003, 08:06 AM

Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

Originally posted by vito1281

What's this alarm that they added? How exactly does it work/protect the lights?
It's supposed to chirp if somone is in front of the car for more than 10 seconds and then start blasting if they the hood is opened. They guarantee it will protect the car, if not, they will pay to have the HID's replaced. I think it's another company that's working with the dealership, but I figure if it's through the dealership, then they can't complain if their are problems.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:18 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

It's supposed to chirp if somone is in front of the car for more than 10 seconds and then start blasting if they the hood is opened. They guarantee it will protect the car, if not, they will pay to have the HID's replaced. I think it's another company that's working with the dealership, but I figure if it's through the dealership, then they can't complain if their are problems.
wow, thats intersting. what dealer are you having this done at? As for them replacing the HIDs if they get stolen...thats awesome, make sure they put it in writing!

Old 01-17-2003, 09:50 AM

Tom
cool mod
Old 01-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Banned

Sounds like a proximity sensor to me. I don't know if $350 is the right price for that--should be cheaper in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:56 AM
jun

how much and where

how much for the installation for the hid anti theft kit and w/c dealer you gonna go
thanks
Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 PM

Re: how much and where

Originally posted by jun
how much for the installation for the hid anti theft kit and w/c dealer you gonna go
thanks
Yes, I want to know that too.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM
SMX
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It should be cheaper if it’s an after market one, but will an after market work with the factory alarm?

Originally posted by vito1281
Sounds like a proximity sensor to me. I don't know if $350 is the right price for that--should be cheaper in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SMX
It should be cheaper if it’s an after market one, but will an after market work with the factory alarm?

Yes, I believe so. There's a guy on these boards, name is Don (can't remember username), but he works for a car alarm/electronics installation place in New Jersey. He told me it would work with a OEM alarm because the proximity sensor is just an add-on so to speak. I believe he was saying it's $70 with installation.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:46 PM

Re: how much and where

Originally posted by jun
thanks
They weren't sure what to charge to install the kit becuase it was so new, so they chose an hour, which is fair enough considering there aren't any directions (I figure it shouldn't be hard for them though) so the hour of labour is $85 bucks. I suggest everyone ask thier dealer about this kit (my guess is that most don't know about the kit)

Two of my neighbors had their HID's ripped out the other night. My car was parked between both of them and was untouched for some strange reason. Anyway, they both got insurance estiamtes back of $5000 to replace the lights and hood (bent the crap out of it) Anyway, 85 bucks and the 350 for the alarm are a bargain compared to the alternative...
Old 01-17-2003, 01:58 PM

Re: Re: how much and where

Well greg2002, the kit from courtesy is really new as you found out. Best wishes man and I think you did the best that you can. Its unfortunate all this extra $ had to spent just to keep your car intact. Hope you can deduct it from 2k3 expenses.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Tom
Its just a proximity sensor. Ive done a dozen of these in the past week for 2k2/2k3 owners. BUT $350?????? I charge $80 installed.

For the $350 you spent ya coulda had a Viper alarm with the proximity sensor. I am not flaming you in anyway I just hate seeing people get used by dealers like that. I ran 2 dealerships (aftermarket/prepping dept.)for a few years prior to owning my own business, and let me say If I charged the prices, and did the shady things that they did there, I would be one rich man. I just dont think I would be able to live with myself.

-_Don
Old 01-17-2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Its just a proximity sensor. Ive done a dozen of these in the past week for 2k2/2k3 owners. BUT $350?????? I charge $80 installed.

For the $350 you spent ya coulda had a Viper alarm with the proximity sensor. I am not flaming you in anyway I just hate seeing people get used by dealers like that. I ran 2 dealerships (aftermarket/prepping dept.)for a few years prior to owning my own business, and let me say If I charged the prices, and did the shady things that they did there, I would be one rich man. I just dont think I would be able to live with myself.

-_Don
I knew it probably wasn't the greatest price, but they were working on the car anyway for the next 2 days to fix a few TSB, as well as install the HID theft kit. Personally, my biggest isssue, is that I need the car for work and couldn't afford to give it up again in the future to have it installed sererately. They also gave me a rental until Monday, so I don't feel horrible about it.

I'd feel a lot worse if I waited to have it installed somewhere else and had the HID's stolen before I got it there. In my sitations (2 Maxima HID's stolen in the last few nights) I couldn't afford to really wait.

I was even having dreams about going out and just welding the freekin hood shut or covering the whole front (grill and all) with a 3M Clearbra..

I do see where your're coming from though. If I had the time, I'd research it and have a better idea of price. Thanks for giving me perspective on the pricing.

How well does that alarm work? They didn't have much info about it, and I'm so desparate that I didn't really care.

Just curious, I'll find out on Monday
Old 01-17-2003, 05:47 PM

I knew it probably wasn't the greatest price, but they were working on the car anyway for the next 2 days to fix a few TSB, as well as install the HID theft kit. Personally, my biggest isssue, is that I need the car for work and couldn't afford to give it up again in the future to have it installed sererately. They also gave me a rental until Monday, so I don't feel horrible about it.

I'd feel a lot worse if I waited to have it installed somewhere else and had the HID's stolen before I got it there. In my sitations (2 Maxima HID's stolen in the last few nights) I couldn't afford to really wait.

I was even having dreams about going out and just welding the freekin hood shut or covering the whole front (grill and all) with a 3M Clearbra..

I do see where your're coming from though. If I had the time, I'd research it and have a better idea of price. Thanks for giving me perspective on the pricing.

How well does that alarm work? They didn't have much info about it, and I'm so desparate that I didn't really care.

Just curious, I'll find out on Monday

I completely understand your situation. The alarms that I have done work great and I have had zero complaints (so far ). I can usually do them within a days notice, and the install takes a couple hours.

--Don
Old 01-18-2003, 05:03 AM
SMX

where can I order a proximity sensor? I would like to install one
Old 01-18-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by SMX
where can I order a proximity sensor? I would like to install one
I always have them in stock, but you can pretty much go to any DEI dealer (Viper,Python,Clifford,etc) Other companies make them as well, these are just the ones that I personally use/like. The part number is: 508D

--Don
Old 01-18-2003, 06:44 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I always have them in stock, but you can pretty much go to any DEI dealer (Viper,Python,Clifford,etc) Other companies make them as well, these are just the ones that I personally use/like. The part number is: 508D

--Don
Hey Don, is this an add on to the factory alarm? I would like to order one! How hard is the install?

Old 01-18-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

Hey Don, is this an add on to the factory alarm? I would like to order one! How hard is the install?
It is a pretty simple add on. Very little skills are required, on a scale of 1-10 this job would be a 3 maybe.

--Don
Old 01-18-2003, 12:24 PM
jun

It is a pretty simple add on. Very little skills are required, on a scale of 1-10 this job would be a 3 maybe.

--Don [/B][/QUOTE]\r\\

don can u give me your no. maybe i ca make an appointment this friday to get proximity sensor installed in my car
Old 01-18-2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by jun

--Don
\r\\

don can u give me your no. maybe i ca make an appointment this friday to get proximity sensor installed in my car [/B][/QUOTE]

732-321-1079...office
732-921-9046...mobile

--Don
Old 01-18-2003, 05:17 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

--Don
thats good to know. thanks. Will it work with the factory alarm?

Old 01-21-2003, 04:40 PM

Got the car back today with the Nissan HID theft kit as well as an Alarm... They installed an Audiovox Pro 9232. I know it's not the best, but how bad is it? I'm really just interested in protecting the front of my car/HID's.

I tested it by walking up to the hood, was about a foot from it and it started to chirp, 15 seconds later the alarm started going off, so hopefully this will help.

Also, this may sound stupid, but does it make sense to put those stupid stickers they give you that say "Protected by..." On one hand it makes sense to advertise that you have an alarm, but on the other hand, it may not be a good idea to adertise the Make and Model of you Alarm to potential thieves.

If the consensus is that the Audiovox is complete crap, then I may upgrade down the road, but at least the Audiovox buys me some time and piece of mind.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:53 PM

Got the car back today with the Nissan HID theft kit as well as an Alarm... They installed an Audiovox Pro 9232. I know it's not the best, but how bad is it? I'm really just interested in protecting the front of my car/HID's.

I tested it by walking up to the hood, was about a foot from it and it started to chirp, 15 seconds later the alarm started going off, so hopefully this will help.

Also, this may sound stupid, but does it make sense to put those stupid stickers they give you that say "Protected by..." On one hand it makes sense to advertise that you have an alarm, but on the other hand, it may not be a good idea to adertise the Make and Model of you Alarm to potential thieves.

If the consensus is that the Audiovox is complete crap, then I may upgrade down the road, but at least the Audiovox buys me some time and piece of mind.
In all honesty Audiovox is complete crap. You are right though, in the meantime it should serve its purpose. The problem with the Audiovox lies mostly in the dependability and reliability.

BTW if you dont mind me asking..what did the dealership charge you for it?

--Don
Old 01-21-2003, 04:56 PM
JJL

re

When I asked at the dealer they told me 700 bucks for remote start and alarm .
I told them forget it
Old 01-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Re: re

Originally posted by JJL
When I asked at the dealer they told me 700 bucks for remote start and alarm .
I told them forget it

Old 01-21-2003, 05:00 PM

In all honesty Audiovox is complete crap. You are right though, in the meantime it should serve its purpose. The problem with the Audiovox lies mostly in the dependability and reliability.

BTW if you dont mind me asking..what did the dealership charge you for it?

--Don
$350 including installation. I know I got raped... I've been trying to find the price online but haven't seen it yet.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

$350 including installation. I know I got raped... I've been trying to find the price online but haven't seen it yet.
WOW this at least includes remote start right??
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

WOW this at least includes remote start right??
I don't think so, I'm still using the same KeyFOB.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

I don't think so, I'm still using the same KeyFOB.

O then Yes a completely outrageous price. But hey, thats how dealers make their money.

--Don
Old 01-25-2003, 07:49 AM
njruss

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

O then Yes a completely outrageous price. But hey, thats how dealers make their money.

--Don
Will the sensor go off if you park against a wall or something like that?

Old 01-25-2003, 10:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HID Theft Kit + Alarm going on this weekend

Originally posted by njruss

Will the sensor go off if you park against a wall or something like that?
No it doesn't. I'm an idiot when it comes to a lot of this stuff (obviously, I had an Audiovox installed!) I don't know how it works, the guy at the Dealership said it heat activated, but that sounds like crap to me. Anyway, it does work well, it doesn't chirp until you are real close to it, so it isn't always going off when other people are getting out of their cars etc....
Old 01-28-2003, 02:51 AM
njruss

New Viper and Anti-theft

Had my new Viper 550 with prox sensor installed by Don Pearl96Max) yesterday.. Very professional job and a great price! He spent time "training" me and answering questions - Thanks Don!

The anti-theft was put in by the dealer and I badgered Nissan into absorbing most of that cost since my headlights were stolen and they already made plenty of $$$ on the repair. The total repair cost was almost $4000 since my air bag circuit board got fried during the theft of the lights. That oard alone is over $800!