5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To what extend are you willing to protect your HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

To what extend are you willing to protect your HIDs?

i know you 5th gen owners are worried about getting your HIDs stolen...to what extent are you willing to prevent them from getting stolen?

Part A - How it Looks
1 - minor comestic difference (looks stock..don't even notice from outside)
2 - slight comestic difference (can only see it up close)
3 - major comestic difference (like the club for steering wheel..a club for your headlight...something to that extent that it's very visible comestically)

the major comestic difference will protect the best..IE if they want it..they better be rdy to break a sweat.

Part B - Budget
how much are you willing to spend to protect them? keep in mind NOTHING is theft proof.

Part C - Modifications Limit
Are you willing to drill holes into the car or lense itself (not effecting the lighting output or how they work)?

reply and let me know what you think.
Dan
Old 01-19-2003, 09:20 AM

Looks wise: #3, you want to let someone know its going to be a challenge before they decide to mangle you're front end.

Price wise, $200-$300 for something decent that will help not becoming paranoid where you’re max is parked.

Drilling, not a prob.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:28 AM
wat

You forgot #'s 4, 5 and 6. Can't have one without them all...

#4---The car is parked at all times (when not being driven) outside your bedroom window. That is important for the next two safeguards.

#5---You must have an alarm that goes off everytime people look at your pride and joy. That brings in the last safeguard.

#6---Mr. Glock 26 and Mr. Sig Sauer P228. They tend to deal with meddlers very effectively.

Follow these very effective steps and your HIDs will shine brightly throughout the new Millenium.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:24 AM
RBa

Originally posted by look2me40
You forgot #'s 4, 5 and 6. Can't have one without them all...

#4---The car is parked at all times (when not being driven) outside your bedroom window. That is important for the next two safeguards.

#5---You must have an alarm that goes off everytime people look at your pride and joy. That brings in the last safeguard.

#6---Mr. Glock 26 and Mr. Sig Sauer P228. They tend to deal with meddlers very effectively.

Follow these very effective steps and your HIDs will shine brightly throughout the new Millenium.
I was gonna use.

#7---Kidnap the focker and kill him slowly thru torcher..
Old 01-19-2003, 01:44 PM

Re: To what extend are you willing to protect your HIDs?

Originally posted by DanNY
i know you 5th gen owners are worried about getting your HIDs stolen...to what extent are you willing to prevent them from getting stolen?

Part A - How it Looks
1 - minor comestic difference (looks stock..don't even notice from outside)
2 - slight comestic difference (can only see it up close)
3 - major comestic difference (like the club for steering wheel..a club for your headlight...something to that extent that it's very visible comestically)
As a 2k3 SE owner I'd choose #2 for convenience, but #3 for visual deterrence. If #2 has some visual cue to warn the thievin' weasel, then that is optimal.

Part B - Budget
how much are you willing to spend to protect them? keep in mind NOTHING is theft proof.
like the other guy said, a couple hundred bucks, $300 tops if it really worked.

Part C - Modifications Limit
Are you willing to drill holes into the car or lense itself (not effecting the lighting output or how they work)?

Holes in the car only if they are cosmetically pretty (i.e. rounded bolt or rivet heads that are apinted to match the body color, or maybe a matte black. Something stylish. I wouldn't want four hex bolt heads next to my headlights so the dam thing looks like frankenstein.

holes in the headlights I don't care about as long as it is cosmetically OK and isn't ruined if I need to change headlights 50K miles from now. i wouldn't like to spend another few hundred bucks a second time.

Dan Cook
Old 01-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Jedi Knight

I would think that stock HID owners would be able to get some sort of break or reinbursment from their insurance who won't have to cough up $1200-1500 to replace and fix HIDs once stolen...$300 should be nothing to them, an avenue you all might want to consider.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am with you on that one!
I'd be willing to go as far as my four fifth and lay and wait for my bait. What do you think will happen to HID theft when word is out that owners are laying and waiting in the bushes!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:23 PM

After reading how easy it is to steal our HIDS...

Maybe the people in the high risk area should develop a kit that makes your HIDs easily removable. That way you could just pop them out and throw them in the trunk or take them in the house over night.

I don't know if my perception is distorted from being on the .org, but it sure seems like a LOT of people are getting ripped off.

The only way NOT to get your HIDs ripped off is NOT to have them on the car when the theives are surveying the land.

Anyhow, just a thought.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Call me crazy, but that seems like a great idea, who would ever develop a kit like that?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by GuZo
Call me crazy, but that seems like a great idea, who would ever develop a kit like that?
I've never really looked at the mounting so I don't know.

It would seem you'd need two quick release thingamajobbers and a connector for the wires and that'd be it.

I have a garage and don't work in a high risk area, but if mine ever get stolen, I'd seriously consider something like this.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima

I've never really looked at the mounting so I don't know.

It would seem you'd need two quick release thingamajobbers and a connector for the wires and that'd be it.

I have a garage and don't work in a high risk area, but if mine ever get stolen, I'd seriously consider something like this.
I really hope someone with a creative mind is reading this thread so that maybe they can give us HID owners some insight into how to do this.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GuZo

I really hope someone with a creative mind is reading this thread so that maybe they can give us HID owners some insight into how to do this.
Well, that is a good idea but let me say that will just give a thief another incentive to now pop your glass window and head for the trunk. I mean if the walk around and dont see your headlights they'll just assume they are in the trunk. I mean, its not really a benzi box you'll want to take with you.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut

Well, that is a good idea but let me say that will just give a thief another incentive to now pop your glass window and head for the trunk. I mean if the walk around and dont see your headlights they'll just assume they are in the trunk. I mean, its not really a benzi box you'll want to take with you.
Smart people will take them home, I would rather pay for a trunk lock than to be without my car for 20 days, I am still without my car , hopefully its out tomorrow, the lights were stolen on Jan 2.

What's the most a trunk lock will run you anyway?150,200 bucks?
Old 01-20-2003, 03:37 PM

I really don't think a theif is gonna think to look in the trunk for your HIDS unless they've been watching you. Chances are the theives are just riding around finding Maximas at random in neighborhoods other than their own. If they don't see any HIDS, they'll just go on to the next max.

Just like having an alarm light. Most theives will pass on a car with an alarm if they can just go to the next one without one.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

so i got about 2 decent replies.

taking out the headlight is NOT a real good option. taking out your radio is one thing...they still have to get past your door locks and glass.

with headlights missing..think of what's behind the headlights...probably more wires..perhaps alarm wires. also keep in mind the hood latch cable is up there somewhere...don't make it any easier for them to maybe now steal your entire car since it's wide open with two big holes in front.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:52 AM

To what extent...

I used to drive myself nuts about this stuff, but after a while my attitude has changed. What's the point of having a car that one is afraid to use? (Disclosure: I did keep my older car for use at the supermarket, gym, and ferry to NYC). My approach is pretty simple:

1. Use common sense and due dilligence (i.e., don't leave it in unreasonably high-risk places).

2. Let Liberty Mutual worry about the rest.

I was dropping my old Sentra off at my dealer (NYC metropolitan area) for service last Sunday and noticed a probably about 150 - 200 '03 Maximas in their unlocked lot, so they must be unconcerned. [No, I won't name the dealer.] The last time I was at the parts window, I asked the parts manager what kind of business they were doing in replacement HIDs. They are averaging a couple of sets per week, just a little higher rate than for the halogen assemblies.