5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 07:33 AM

How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

I'm having a helluva time finding a 2K3 the way I want it with HLSD. There is one a ways away from me that is what I want, but without HLSD. Do you even know it's there unless you're stomping on it? Would most of you still have a 6 sp w/o HLSD over an auto? Need to move quickly, but may be up a creek.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by maxmizd27
I'm having a helluva time finding a 2K3 the way I want it with HLSD. There is one a ways away from me that is what I want, but without HLSD. Do you even know it's there unless you're stomping on it? Would most of you still have a 6 sp w/o HLSD over an auto? Need to move quickly, but may be up a creek.
If you do a quick search, you'll see that this EXACT same topic has been discussed. To summarize, however, NO, you will not feel it in everyday driving unless you're stomping on the gas as you're cornering. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:42 AM
jjs

Re: Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by vito1281

If you do a quick search, you'll see that this EXACT same topic has been discussed. To summarize, however, NO, you will not feel it in everyday driving unless you're stomping on the gas as you're cornering. Hope that helps.
Not sure I agree with this statement. It helps also in wet conditions, and loose road surfaces. I know I would not want to be without the VLSD in my AE.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I have the HLSD. I'm glad I do, but would take the 6 speed without it over an auto. As mentioned, there is a thread with a lot of info if you search. Good luck, hope you find one with HLSD....
Old 01-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by jjs

Not sure I agree with this statement. It helps also in wet conditions, and loose road surfaces. I know I would not want to be without the VLSD in my AE.
Hmmm, I see what you're saying jjs. When he said "everyday driving", I wasn't assuming he's driving in wet conditions everyday and/or on loose ground. So in those cases, it would help by locking up the slipping wheel and spinning both wheels at the same power (i.e. distribute the power according to slippage).
Old 01-20-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by vito1281
. . . To summarize, however, NO, you will not feel it in everyday driving unless you're stomping on the gas as you're cornering.
Actually you might feel it under any circumstances in which the two front wheels have significantly unequal grip. In addition to feeding in throttle while cornering, there are any number of split-mu situations that you are likely to run into that will make the HLSD re-apportion torque under acceleration. Bare pavement not worse than damp under the driver's side and standing water/sand/gravel/snow/slush/ice/wet leaves/wet road paint under the passenger side come to mind . . .

Norm
Old 01-20-2003, 09:14 AM

Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by maxmizd27

I have a 6spd w/o the HLSD...

Yeah, I wish I had it....but I bought my car off the lot on a deal..so I settled....

It's not too bad not having it...makes for some interesting driving.

The max puts so much power down....not sure why the HLSD isn't standard.

buying an auto should not be an option...if so, go buy a camry/accord...save some $$ in the long run.

I get by w/o it...no regrets...but it would be a bonus to have!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by Norm Peterson
Actually you might feel it under any circumstances in which the two front wheels have significantly unequal grip. In addition to feeding in throttle while cornering, there are any number of split-mu situations that you are likely to run into that will make the HLSD re-apportion torque under acceleration. Bare pavement not worse than damp under the driver's side and standing water/sand/gravel/snow/slush/ice/wet leaves/wet road paint under the passenger side come to mind . . .

Norm
Norm,

I have the HLSD and STILL seem to spin my tires when taking off fast. Is it working or what? If it is, OMFG you need it!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by spta97

Norm,

I have the HLSD and STILL seem to spin my tires when taking off fast. Is it working or what? If it is, OMFG you need it!
]

The big problem here are tires that come with our car. They give no grip at all.
I don't think HLSD will help that much in snow or ice. Maybe a little.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by DrVolkl

I have a 6spd w/o the HLSD...

Yeah, I wish I had it....but I bought my car off the lot on a deal..so I settled....

It's not too bad not having it...makes for some interesting driving.

The max puts so much power down....not sure why the HLSD isn't standard.

buying an auto should not be an option...if so, go buy a camry/accord...save some $$ in the long run.

I get by w/o it...no regrets...but it would be a bonus to have!
It's looking like no hlsd. The only one CarsDirect can get me is a Sterling Mist loaded with leather in Queens, NY. My local dealer found one EXACTLY like I want except w/o HLSD in Maryland. Sheer Silver/Frost cloth. Titanium Ed. Prolly know for sure by days end!
Old 01-21-2003, 03:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How noticeable is HLSD in everyday driving?

Originally posted by Dany
The big problem here are tires that come with our car. They give no grip at all.
I don't think HLSD will help that much in snow or ice. Maybe a little.
Tires is part of it. Enough torque and a low enough mu and you'll spin both wheels with HLSD, though not as soon as you'd spin one with a one-legger.

The advantage in snow/ice is when one side has even slightly more grip than the other. That's probably the usual case, as I doubt that the static front corner weights are equal except under some very specific loading conditions involving individual passenger weights and where they are sitting.

Norm