5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

I have HLSD on mine (2K2 SE 6-Speed), and I also got Khumo ECSTA 711's. The tires made a HUGE difference with wheelspin. Now, instead of wheelspin, I get MAJOR hopping. What is the best way to get rid of that? I'm new to mod's, etc, so I didn't really know what to search for, or else I would. If there is a mod for that, can you recommend specific brands/models?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:53 AM

Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

dont floor it!

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy
I have HLSD on mine (2K2 SE 6-Speed), and I also got Khumo ECSTA 711's. The tires made a HUGE difference with wheelspin. Now, instead of wheelspin, I get MAJOR hopping. What is the best way to get rid of that? I'm new to mod's, etc, so I didn't really know what to search for, or else I would. If there is a mod for that, can you recommend specific brands/models?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:54 AM
jjs

Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Thanks!
Learn how to drive a stick?

Old 01-20-2003, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Originally posted by jjs

Learn how to drive a stick?

I know how to drive a stick, thanks. I've been driving them for 6 years now. This problem hasn't come up until I got the Maxima, and more specifically since I got the tires. I know that you can get mods that will keep your tires on the road when you need it. I just don't know what they are.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:01 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

I know how to drive a stick, thanks. I've been driving them for 6 years now. This problem hasn't come up until I got the Maxima, and more specifically since I got the tires. I know that you can get mods that will keep your tires on the road when you need it. I just don't know what they are.
A #1 mod:

modify your driving!!!

Crap! It is a high torque FWD car!! Launch too hard and weight transfer to the back takes its toll on traction. Period. End of story.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

dont know if there is any "mod" to stop hopping, but the reason why it does t that is cuz your max has a lot of tourque to the wheels(i think). i have 18' emos with nankan tires....i dont hop...in the winter i have my stock gxe/gle tires on...i hop only when i floor it...my suggestion is DONT FLOOR IT! your just ruining a lot of mechanical details in you car...hopefully someone who knows more aobut this subject will help you out!
Good Luck bro!

opcorn: <---- no one ever uses that one!!! i dont know hwy i did either!

I know that you can get mods that will keep your tires on the road when you need it. I just don't know what they are.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Originally posted by vsmax
dont know if there is any "mod" to stop hopping, but the reason why it does t that is cuz your max has a lot of tourque to the wheels(i think). i have 18' emos with nankan tires....i dont hop...in the winter i have my stock gxe/gle tires on...i hop only when i floor it...my suggestion is DONT FLOOR IT! your just ruining a lot of mechanical details in you car...hopefully someone who knows more aobut this subject will help you out!
Good Luck bro!

<---- no one ever uses that one!!! i dont know hwy i did either!

Old 01-20-2003, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Originally posted by jjs

A #1 mod:

modify your driving!!!

Crap! It is a high torque FWD car!! Launch too hard and weight transfer to the back takes its toll on traction. Period. End of story.
I UNDERSTAND THAT. I will work on handling the accellerator a little better. What I am asking is if there is a MOD that I can put on my car that will help keep this from happening. It's not like I am doing it on purpose. Will a FTSB do it? I know these parts aren't designed for that purpose, but they are made to affect how your wheels stay on the ground.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

i guess adding more weight to the front might help, but i dont see it really making a huge diffrence...i have one on my max it really hlpes on the steering more then the wheels ya know...but as far as a mod goes i really dont think there is one like i stated!

I UNDERSTAND THAT. I will work on handling the accellerator a little better. What I am asking is if there is a MOD that I can put on my car that will help keep this from happening. It's not like I am doing it on purpose. Will a FTSB do it? I know these parts aren't designed for that purpose, but they are made to affect how your wheels stay on the ground.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:18 AM

Possibly one of these:

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm

Or some expensive posi-traction mod like a member named Jason did. I think his org name is max-n-out.

water-cooled TT dreams
SHIFT_woosh
Old 01-20-2003, 11:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

Originally posted by vsmax
i guess adding more weight to the front might help, but i dont see it really making a huge diffrence...i have one on my max it really hlpes on the steering more then the wheels ya know...but as far as a mod goes i really dont think there is one like i stated!

Okay, thats cool. I just wanted to see if there was something, but if not, then I will have to rely on myself I guess. With this much power (im used to a 91 accord ) it's kinda tricky for me to determine the right amount of gas, the right relase on the clutch, etc to get a smooth yet fast take off. Practice makes perfect. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is soo difficult to get a straight answer on this org sometimes. I love reading the forum, however when someone asks a question that is second nature to another, they make the person feel stupid. This guy is just asking a question, all he wants to know if there are any MODS. Just reply with yes or no, and if you want to put an explanation do so. Dont make people feel underminded, or make them feel you are superior to them.

Just my $.02
Old 01-20-2003, 11:27 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by woosh
Possibly one of these:

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm

Or some expensive posi-traction mod like a member named Jason did. I think his org name is max-n-out.

water-cooled TT dreams
SHIFT_woosh
He was the HSLD, which is almost as good as the quaife. I think frankencar is making soild motor mounts which might help a little..

Old 01-20-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

He was the HSLD, which is almost as good as the quaife. I think frankencar is making soild motor mounts which might help a little..
That's what I was going to mention. People seem to help the wheel hop some with better mounts. I think ericdwong did a write up maybe? Do a search on motor mounts.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:30 AM

my bad, missed the HLSD, part
Old 01-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Dohcser
they make the person feel stupid. This guy is just asking a question, Dont make people feel underminded, or make them feel you are superior to them.
Just my $.02
CHECK THIS ONE OUT!!!!!! FUNNIEST ONE IN A WHILE!!!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whats the best way to get rid of hopping?

There is a mod available, but at great sacrifice to suspension travel and comfort. Its basically traction bars for the front. I thought warpspeed had it but no longer see it on their site.

Yes you can do it, but for a daily driver I would not recommend it.

Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:44 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

wow, that got ugly real fast!

Old 01-20-2003, 11:46 AM

Now that you mentioned the motor mounts, dmbmaxima (Frankencar) has a motor mount re-core program for the 2k2+ that are not as harsh as the PR mounts.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:50 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by woosh
Now that you mentioned the motor mounts, dmbmaxima (Frankencar) has a motor mount re-core program for the 2k2+ that are not as harsh as the PR mounts.
Yeah, i thought i saw something about his motor mounts. I have the PR mounts in my SE-R, i sometimes think my front bumper is going to fall off!!

Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

wow, that got ugly real fast!
Ugly, but funny as hell. I haven't laughed that loud at work for a long time.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:28 PM

i used to play this game called motor city online. Well to get to the point in the mod section of the game they had anti-hop bars for the front and rear suspension. I'm pretty sure they have them in real life.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Maxima Pilot

Upgraded motor mounts and stiffer front shocks

should make a substantial improvement. Cons of those mods would likely be more NVH into the car and perhaps a stiffer ride...as everything else, it's a compromise based on what you value most/least...
Old 01-20-2003, 01:50 PM

You might try new springs and struts. Might help.

It would probably really help if you just drop the front end. Probably look and handle pretty funny, though.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:23 PM

Wheel Hop

You might also look for better urethane bushings
I remember when I had my 3rd gen Jim Wolf Tech used to sell said bushings to combat this
Some Subi sites sell the same mod to combat the same problem for the older 2 wheel drive cars
Old 01-20-2003, 05:54 PM

Warp Speed Performance posted here that they were going to develop Radial Arms for the Maxima...they would do the job for sure.

Maybe the product will be ready soon...given that they announced the product in February 2002! We're coming up on the one year anniversary. I'd say that's enough R&D time...let's get that product out the door.

Radial Arms Thread from February of last year

I am bringing the thread back from the dead just for ****s and giggles.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:02 PM

Check it out...Warp Speed still has them listed as "upcoming" on their web site. Quite a planning process...should be one hell of a product.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/upcoming.htm
Old 01-20-2003, 07:27 PM

Wheel hop is problematic in some RWD too, it's not isolated to FWD only.

I owned a '70 Chevelle SS that had nasty wheel hop. It had a 12 bolt posi rear (alomst locked out the clutch springs were so tight). Wheel hop in that car was NASTY. Solving it for that car was a lot different than on a FWD obviously. It involved stopping the rear assembly from being able to rotate under torque. I installed ladder bars, which made the car drive very poorly on the street, but it launched like a freaking rocket. Not only do they stop the rear from twisting, it pushed up against the body of the car. Under torque, the back end not only stopped diving, it would actually raise under torque putting even more weight on the tires, it was bad a$$.

The whole problem is related to the suspension design allowing the tires on the car to twist the axil geometry when torque is applied, and spring upward. If it can twist and go up, it will hop when traction is elevated. As the tire grabs traction, the tendency is for the tire to rebound into the wheelwell, which naturally reduces the tire's traction and allows wheelspin. As the springs send the tires back against the road, the now-spinning wheels once again aggressively grab traction, starting the process all-over.

Stickier tires make it worse. For instance, my Turbo Talon never hopped with Goodyear eagles, I could smoke them off the rim. I changed to a stickier tire, and they hopped no matter what I tried.

You gotta limit wheel hop, it will damge stuff on cars, depending on the weaknesses of the car. I'll use my Talon as an example, when those hop, they tend to break the center diff very easy.

Easiest whay to stop it on a ANY car is to slip the clutch more, but that's no fun, hurts your launch, and roasts your clutch.

Here are some general things I've learned:

Tires make a difference. Some brands will, some won't, I think this has a lot to do with how sticky a tire is. More sticky = more prone to hop on a car with loose suspension.

Low profile tires with higer pressure make it worse. 20-25 PSI seems to help sometimes.

Harder engine mounts in FWD can help. I've seen guys make their own crap here, putting in big custom rubber stoppers to keep the motor and trans from twisting. Or simply modifying the exsiting mouts to be stiffer, or installing aftermarket urethane.

Tighter suspension in genreal i.e stiffer springs, harder busingings, adjustable shocks (on FWD, set the rear shocks to full firm and the front shocks halfway to full firm). I think you get the most from doing these mods (for wheel hop)

I've heard some guys swear a FSTB helped, but I can't confirm it and I doubt it a bit. Every little bit helps though.

Good luck!