5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Portafiled brake pads installed, big up grade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Porterfield brake pads installed, big up grade!

I just posted a big post on this but the damn server went busy and I lost my whole damn reply, so pi§§ed.. Well here goes again, a shorter take on it..

So at 22K miles my oem pads died, they starting making a horrid noise. So I took the chance and ordered some 4th gen Porterfield brake pads. Well the front install went smooth, they fit on perfectly. The rear on the other hand where a PITA! I went through hell busting my calipers loose, I wonder why? I ended up bending two good wrenches and a screw driver prying them loose. Then once the calipes came off I went to put the pads on.. They did not fit though, so I had to do some minor modifcations.. After a few minutes with the dremel I had the pads on fitting snugly

Well time for the test drive. I drove gently all day today breaking the pads in. I put on about 40 miles. On the way home I decided to bring the car up to about 100 MPH and slam on the brakes. To my suprise the car stoped incredibly well! Night and day differnce, no god awful brake fade! In aww I sped right back up to 100 MPH and slammed the brakes, agian no fade! I did this a total of 4 times and I experienced 0 fade. These bad boys are bullit proof, infact they are made of kevlar

If your fed up with the terrible brake fade I highly recomend these pads! I orderd mine through the link on www.maximadriver.com under group deals. There is a deal on the pads there. If you dont want to modify the pads I can do it for you for cheap If you want to see what needed to be modified on these just ask and I will get the pics up for you.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:18 PM

Porterfields are awesome. Just gotta be careful with those first couple of stops on a cold morning, they don't bite quite as hard.

You didn't mention if you had broken them in according to the required procedure ( http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/brakepads.html ) but it sounds like the emax torture test did the job.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Weasel
Porterfields are awesome. Just gotta be careful with those first couple of stops on a cold morning, they don't bite quite as hard.
oh yeah..the pads takes just bit to warm up..but once they're warmed up, they grip!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:11 AM

Re: Portafield brake pads installed, big up grade!

Originally posted by emax95
I just posted a big post on this but the damn server went busy and I lost my whole damn reply, so pi§§ed.. Well here goes again, a shorter take on it..

So at 22K miles my oem pads died, they starting making a horrid noise. So I took the chance and ordered some 4th gen Porterfield brake pads. Well the front install went smooth, they fit on perfectly. The rear on the other hand where a PITA! I went through hell busting my calipers loose, I wonder why? I ended up bending two good wrenches and a screw driver prying them loose. Then once the calipes came off I went to put the pads on.. They did not fit though, so I had to do some minor modifcations.. After a few minutes with the dremel I had the pads on fitting snugly

Well time for the test drive. I drove gently all day today breaking the pads in. I put on about 40 miles. On the way home I decided to bring the car up to about 100 MPH and slam on the brakes. To my suprise the car stoped incredibly well! Night and day differnce, no god awful brake fade! In aww I sped right back up to 100 MPH and slammed the brakes, agian no fade! I did this a total of 4 times and I experienced 0 fade. These bad boys are bullit proof, infact they are made of kevlar

If your fed up with the terrible brake fade I highly recomend these pads! I orderd mine through the link on www.maximadriver.com under group deals. There is a deal on the pads there. If you dont want to modify the pads I can do it for you for cheap If you want to see what needed to be modified on these just ask and I will get the pics up for you.
Did you get the street or racing pads?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 AM

Porta .. filed ...

Question .. how badly do they dust .. or do they? Any squeeling?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:07 AM

I will need rear pads soon

and I do not like the thought of modifying the Porterfields. There is a current gd on pads does anyone have any experience with these:

Axxis Metal Masters Pads: $55 Fronts, $55 Rears + ship*.
Axxis Ultimate Pads: $65 Fronts, $65 Rears + ship*.
Brake World Pads: $39 Fronts, $39 Rears + ship*.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wait a week and see how dirty your wheels get... but I agree, they stop VERY well.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:19 AM
Administrator

white rims + poterfield pads = gunmetal rims
Old 01-21-2003, 07:09 AM

Re: I will need rear pads soon

Originally posted by Blackgums100

Axxis Metal Masters Pads: $55 Fronts, $55 Rears + ship*.
On my other cars I have used Metal Masters. I get them from *** Imports, http://www.coximport.com/catalog.html they don't charge for shipping, and in the past I wound up paying less than $60 for all four pads-so this company is another option to consider.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Weasel

You didn't mention if you had broken them in according to the required procedure ( http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/brakepads.html ) but it sounds like the emax torture test did the job.
Ha, I was wondering if there was a special break in procedure for them, unfortunatly nothing came with the brakes on how to break them in. Looks like I did a decent job of doing it on my own though

ohboiya, very funny.. and no squeeling.

Y2KevSE, I was under the assumption they dusted less then the oem pads. Atleast thats what the literature said that came with them. I guess they just said that to make the pads more appealing

PCGuRu2K, I got the street pads.

Looks like these pads fit 95-01, just the rear 2002 pads need to be modified.

Ohh and in 15 degree weather the pads felt 90% fine, so the cold does not seem to bother them much.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Wait a week and see how dirty your wheels get... but I agree, they stop VERY well.
i snugged porterfield kevlars under my wilwoods and they were noisy and the wheel got SOOO dirty SOOO quickly, not even heavy braking, just day to day..

so i am on hawk pads now.. less dust, no noise, decent price.

i have a set of these porterfield in my garage if anyone wants them?? pm me with offers.

jason
Old 01-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Y2KevSE, I was under the assumption they dusted less then the oem pads. Atleast thats what the literature said that came with them. I guess they just said that to make the pads more appealing
As Jason said, your wheels will get VERY dirty VERY fast just from day to day driving. Good thing your wheels are simple to clean.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

As Jason said, your wheels will get VERY dirty VERY fast just from day to day driving. Good thing your wheels are simple to clean.

OOOOO!!! Keving called your wheels simple.. he's calling you out ethan, don't take that.. show him up, buy a turbo!!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

OOOOO!!! Keving called your wheels simple.. he's calling you out ethan, don't take that.. show him up, buy a turbo!!

Ohh well Kev.. at least they work really good.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:40 PM

ohboiya, very funny.. and no squeeling.
Oh ... I thought you spelt it Porta-Filed on purpose!!!

Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by thebigsadler

"Simple to clean"... not simple.