5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Would appreciate any suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Would appreciate any suggestions...

Hey guys, I have a 2K2 SE 6-Speed. I'm 23, so you can imagine the way I drive. Well, I've had the Maxima about 9 months now, and in that time I've driven it pretty hard. I usually always accellerate pretty hard off of the line, and I have accidentally hit the rev limiter once or twice (I know, VERY moronic of me). Look, please don't flame me. I'm not like the guy in the auto that tried to shift to 2nd in 80. It's just that this is my first REAL car, and I have probably taken advantage of it a little too much these first 9 months. I have recently realized that I probably need to start driving less harshly if I want to get a good life out of the car. Now, I'm not posting this cause I have/am hearing weird noises coming from my engine. It sounds wonderful, just like the day I got it. What I am asking is what sort of driving habits is this sort of car made to handle, and still be a long lasting car? I'm not looking for the obvious answer, and I'm not asking how hard is the hardest I can drive it without f***ing it up. I honestly just want to know things like, on average, what RPM should you be shifting to the next gear? Is 4,000 too high? Stuff like that. Also, what sort of things should I do maintence wise (other than regular oil changes)? I realize the error of my ways, and I want to start doing better. It's just so damn hard to resist that much power, esp coming from an old POS car. But I will start taking it easy.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Would appreciate any suggestions...

Well the 1st thing you can do is change your sig.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy
Hey guys, I have a 2K2 SE 6-Speed. I'm 23, so you can imagine the way I drive. Well, I've had the Maxima about 9 months now, and in that time I've driven it pretty hard. I usually always accellerate pretty hard off of the line, and I have accidentally hit the rev limiter once or twice (I know, VERY moronic of me). Look, please don't flame me. I'm not like the guy in the auto that tried to shift to 2nd in 80. It's just that this is my first REAL car, and I have probably taken advantage of it a little too much these first 9 months. I have recently realized that I probably need to start driving less harshly if I want to get a good life out of the car. Now, I'm not posting this cause I have/am hearing weird noises coming from my engine. It sounds wonderful, just like the day I got it. What I am asking is what sort of driving habits is this sort of car made to handle, and still be a long lasting car? I'm not looking for the obvious answer, and I'm not asking how hard is the hardest I can drive it without f***ing it up. I honestly just want to know things like, on average, what RPM should you be shifting to the next gear? Is 4,000 too high? Stuff like that. Also, what sort of things should I do maintence wise (other than regular oil changes)? I realize the error of my ways, and I want to start doing better. It's just so damn hard to resist that much power, esp coming from an old POS car. But I will start taking it easy.
i feel the same way that you do, even though i have an auto (i'm 22). at times, i'm just like i won't rev hard from this point forward, blah blah, but then i'll admit that i have times of momentary lapses. as a rule, i try to keep the shifts below 3K (occassional 3.5K). on our cars, that is plenty for practical purposes. that's just your engine though, i couldn't be helpful with your tranny. this is my first car, and my first year in grad school...needless to say, it is imperative that this car lasts me awhile.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

College guy with a 2002K Maxima and he doesn't want us to flame him?
First get a job so that you can finance this car yourself. Next buy a house, get a mortgage, get married, have kids, that should slow you down. Or you can get that operation that got our cocker spaniel to settle down....

Seriously though, just the fact that you need to ask people on this forum how to shift the transmission in your car, says a lot about how experienced a driver you are. Read your owner's manual! Get Mom and Dad to flip for some driving lessons, or just drive like a normal, sane, responsible person!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Originally posted by timbob
First get a job so that you can finance this car yourself. Next buy a house, get a mortgage, get married, have kids, that should slow you down. Or you can get that operation that got our cocker spaniel to settle down....

Seriously though, just the fact that you need to ask people on this forum how to shift the transmission in your car, says a lot about how experienced a driver you are. Read your owner's manual! Get Mom and Dad to flip for some driving lessons, or just drive like a normal, sane, responsible person!
MY GOSH! this guy did not need a lecture!!! if u wanted to flame him a sentence or 2 would have worked ... not a whole story...
theres nuttin wrong with being in college and owning a 2k2... im only 20 and i got mine when i was 19...
Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 AM

Well, I've got the house and mortgage, no wife or kids yet but I tend to drive my car hard once and a while. I don't think that you will kill a car by pushing it to the limit once and a while. I've accidentally bumped off the rev limiter once or twice too. Way I look at it, I didn't buy a car that could go this fast to drive it like a grandma all the time. I don't beat on it, but once and a while I need to get out some frustration and drive like a maniac.

My advice:

1) Keep up on service (esp. oil changes).
2) Try to keep shifts around 3k-3.5k on a normal basis. Leave the 5k-6k for when you are racing.
3) Look into an extended warantee.
4) Be young and have fun!
5) WAX...WAX...WAX!

Remember even though it will cost you, ANYTHING is replacable on your car. There is no such thing as a "dead car", just one that's not worth fixing. Think of it like this, every time you beat on it that will be money out of your pocket down the line.

I think nothing wrong of the question you asked....after all, isn't that what the .Org is for?

Don't be mad at the kid because you are jealous of his youth or lack of responsibility or the fact that he has the same car you do and is younger. We were all there once, so he should enjoy it while he can.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Originally posted by spta97

I think nothing wrong of the question you asked....after all, isn't that what the .Org is for?

Don't be mad at the kid because you are jealous of his youth or lack of responsibility or the fact that he has the same car you do and is younger. We were all there once, so he should enjoy it while he can.
AMEN!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:45 AM

seriously, keep opinions like that to yourself. i found your post to be ageist, pompous and offensive.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 AM

I appreciate everyone's resonses, well almost everyones. For what it's worth, I get up every morning at 6AM and work a full time desk job until 3:30. At that point I make my way home, change clothes and TRY to find time to get some dinner. After that, I drive to the subway, ride to school, get out at 9:35PM, and make my way back home (usually around 11). If I can stay awake enough to study, then I will. I'm tired as hell right now, but you know what? I'm working my *** off to be in a 2K2 Maxima because I love it. I love to drive and at this point in my life, it's an expense that I think is justified. Oh yeah, BTW, mom and dad live about 700 miles away in Texas.

Big words for a guy that has to open a new account just to flame somebody. (Note his "Finally posted something" status.)

Anyway, thanks for everyone elses help. I really appreicate it.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:06 AM

Read the flames, and your last post. First - good for you for working and going to school!! That can be tough.

Anyway, if it helps I drove my '95 SE hard for 130k miles without a peep (and my wife, who now drives it, isn't that much slower). About the only thing that showed abuse was the brakes, which I had to service about once a year.

Regarding the rev limiter, according to Nissan USA (who didn't want to tell me where the limiter is set, no doubt to avoid owners "testing" ), the limiter is set "after redline, and before the engine damages itself". So, hitting the limiter once or twice shouldn't have done anything.

Listen, there was a thread a while back about "where does your car shift", and I was amazed by some of the responses ("I try to shift before 3k unless I'm driving hard, etc."). Maybe it's different for an auto, but I'm guessing mine shifts above 3k something like 80% of the time; that midrange punch is just too much fun to resist. But do take care of the maintenance, that'll have more impact on your car's longevity than any kind of (reasonable) driving you do.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Would appreciate any suggestions...

Originally posted by Maximax2

Read the flames, and your last post. First - good for you for working and going to school!! That can be tough.

Actually, BFD! I can't get over how many younger people these days think this is something special! Many of us, especially in our 30's+, recall doing this as a matter of routine, not some out of the ordinary, above and beyond lifestyle.

I do, on the other hand have to say kudo's to someone who IS working for a living, etc. AND as a result can appreciate what it takes to purchase and maintain a nice car.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:26 AM

Hey CollegeGUY don't sweat the negative responses, you will always find those where ever you go. I am also 23 with a 2k3 SE Titanium, that I bought by myself. I have only romped on my car once when I was racing a Lexus (Whopped his ****). Anyway I only have 2k miles on my ride, since I over baby it. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, I get the stares sometime, as if they think someone else bought my car
Old 01-21-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Dohcser
Hey CollegeGUY don't sweat the negative responses, you will always find those where ever you go. I am also 23 with a 2k3 SE Titanium, that I bought by myself. I have only romped on my car once when I was racing a Lexus (Whopped his ****). Anyway I only have 2k miles on my ride, since I over baby it. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, I get the stares sometime, as if they think someone else bought my car
That's awesome man! Thanks for the support! I got mine in April of last year and it has around 9000 miles on it now. I've pretty much kept it to about 1000 miles a month, don't know how though. I haven't been trying or anything. What kind of Lexus did you beat? I've always wondered how our cars would hold up to like an LS or a GS.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Would appreciate any suggestions...

Originally posted by jjs

Actually, BFD! I can't get over how many younger people these days think this is something special! Many of us, especially in our 30's+, recall doing this as a matter of routine, not some out of the ordinary, above and beyond lifestyle.
I did't post that to get anybody's sympathy. I posted it because TIMBOB told me to "Get a job" so that i could pay for it myself. Just tryin to clear the air for the mentally retarded.

I do, on the other hand have to say kudo's to someone who IS working for a living, etc. AND as a result can appreciate what it takes to purchase and maintain a nice car.
Thanks man. All my friends have everything handed to them from mommy and daddy. A good number of them (in their early to mid twenties) still live at home with no job. Yeah, it's not easy doin what I do, but that's also what makes it fun. Whatever I accomplish in life I will be able to say that I did it for myself! You must not know very many people my age, man. It's scary. It's a generation of spoiled kids that don't work. Now I don't want anybody flamin me for sayin that. Im not saying EVERYONE, but we all (people my age) know a bunch of people that are in that category.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

timbob is just an ignorant moron..

just becuase you are young doesnt mean your parents still feed you
I got my 2k2 max a week after I turned 18 and am financing it myself..NO help.. I also work a full time job and go to school learning 15+ units..
Old 01-21-2003, 11:51 AM

That's awesome man! Thanks for the support! I got mine in April of last year and it has around 9000 miles on it now. I've pretty much kept it to about 1000 miles a month, don't know how though. I haven't been trying or anything. What kind of Lexus did you beat? I've always wondered how our cars would hold up to like an LS or a GS.

Thanks again!
It was a GS300,he was by himself and I had my girl in the car. I was crusing about 65MPH when he pull to the side and stuck by me side by side for about 10 seconds until we watched each other and he gunned it, well so did I and let me tell you he must have loved the back of my max cause thats all he saw.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:25 PM

I have 130k miles on my max, and I bought it new, and I drive HARD. I woulda gotten a Hyundai Elantra, or a Civic LX if I just wanted regular means of transportation.

Dont worry and enjoy your ride. I cant even imagine what it would be like to drive a 2k2. I also drive a 2k 5spd regularly and that thing is wicked fast. but 2k2 is faster.. but then again 350Z is faster than a 2k2 max. omg.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by hokiemax
I have 130k miles on my max, and I bought it new, and I drive HARD. I woulda gotten a Hyundai Elantra, or a Civic LX if I just wanted regular means of transportation.

Dont worry and enjoy your ride. I cant even imagine what it would be like to drive a 2k2. I also drive a 2k 5spd regularly and that thing is wicked fast. but 2k2 is faster.. but then again 350Z is faster than a 2k2 max. omg.
Thanks man! The 350Z and the 2K2 Max are actually pretty close speed wise. =)
Old 01-21-2003, 02:27 PM

Thanks man! The 350Z and the 2K2 Max are actually pretty close speed wise. =)
i hear that a well driven Z is running 13.6 out of the box...that's about .7 seconds quicker than a well driven 6spd. a .7 second difference is quite sizable in the quarter mile

just what i heard...don't kill the messenger
Old 01-21-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Young04

i hear that a well driven Z is running 13.6 out of the box...that's about .7 seconds quicker than a well driven 6spd. a .7 second difference is quite sizable in the quarter mile

just what i heard...don't kill the messenger
Check out the vid on this thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=183264

The Max does a good job of keeping up. Not exactly scientific, but you can't really argue too much with video.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 PM

DUDE; GET A MAXIMA FIRST THEN TALK!!!!!

and to Mr.Collegeguy: have fun...keep up regular service...and be safe!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by timbob

[/QUOTE