5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FrankenCar vs Injen

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FrankenCar vs Injen

Okay guys, I need to get an intake for my 2K2 6-speed. I've done some searching through the forum, and it seems that FrankenCar is the way to go for a 6-speed, Injen for an auto. That being the case, I'm probably going to go with a FrankenCar w/ the Apexi filter. Does that sound like a wise choice? If so, where do I buy from? I looked on the parts list, but FrankenCar wasn't there. Also, how much am I gonna be spending on all that?

Also, am I correct that some people have reported problems with the MAF (dont know what that is) when using the K/N filter? I think I like the look of the K/N better, but I don't want to mess up my car. How expensive of a part is the MAF?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:26 AM

yeah...you're gonna get torn a new a-hole for posting anything on here with the word "intake" involved....lol...

intake debates are the oldest and most discussed on this forum...

go to www.frankencar.com for the frankencar intake..

also...MAF is a mass air flow sensor...
Old 01-22-2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp
yeah...you're gonna get torn a new a-hole for posting anything on here with the word "intake" involved....lol...

intake debates are the oldest and most discussed on this forum...

go to www.frankencar.com for the frankencar intake..

also...MAF is a mass air flow sensor...
That's cool. I really have already made up my mind on the intake I want. I just was curious as to the filter to use. K/N seems to give the Max problems, whereas (and believe me, I'm not saying any of this from experience, just from what I've read) the ApexI seems to work a little better. I have no idea why. I just really need to know if that's actually accurate, and if I should stay away from K/N.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:30 AM

Any oiled filter, like the K&N will mess up the MAF. A new MAF is about $600 and they will rarely give you a break and put it under warranty if they can tell you had an aftermarket intake.

Apexi has a non-oiled filter, maybe you would like to go in that direction.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Any oiled filter, like the K&N will mess up the MAF. A new MAF is about $600 and they will rarely give you a break and put it under warranty if they can tell you had an aftermarket intake.

Apexi has a non-oiled filter, maybe you would like to go in that direction.
Yeah, sounds like I will go with the Apexi. $600 is insane. Will the car drive if the MAF goes bad? I mean is it one of those things that you could drive around on while you save money to get a new one?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:55 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

Yeah, sounds like I will go with the Apexi. $600 is insane. Will the car drive if the MAF goes bad? I mean is it one of those things that you could drive around on while you save money to get a new one?
$600 for a new MAF? Hmm....I wonder where he is buying his parts. They don't run that much! Although they can get quite expensive. Good rule of thumb is to keep your stock airbox in case anything happens to your car and you need to take it in for repair. It really depends on the dealer if they warrant repairs with aftermarket parts installed, and for the most part they do not.

Also, based solely on MY EXPERIENCE, I never had a problem with my MAF. I have had a K&N type filter on my car since 1,000 miles from a drop in, to a Stillen, and now an Injen intake. I did just order the Apexi filter only because I think it is better than what I have on my Injen (don't even know if it's a K&N or a replica).

The Apexi filter you are looking at about $110 and it lasts approximately 30k miles. It is maintenance free for that 30k miles.

The K&N lasts pretty much the life of the car. It has to be cleaned on a regular basis and re-oiled. From what I have seen and heard on here most of the problem with K&N lies with over-oiling after cleaning. You can check out a thread by Kloogy with his latest MAF issue. He noted that it was really greasy.

Still I think it comes down to preference. So consider all the angles and then make your decision! Good luck and hope you get the best intake for you.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:58 AM

I talked to Kloogy yesterday who just mucked up his MAF and needs a new one and i believe he said that if the dealer didn't already know him, it would have been $600 for a new maf.

And the car drives differently with a broken MAF. It usually will shift at very low rpms, like around 2500 i believe.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:02 AM

I talked to Kloogy yesterday who just mucked up his MAF and needs a new one and i believe he said that if the dealer didn't already know him, it would have been $600 for a new maf.

And the car drives differently with a broken MAF. It usually will shift at very low rpms, like around 2500 i believe.
Not if you have a 6-speed.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yes a broken MAF pretty much renders the car undriveable, even if you have a 6-speed. Still $600 for a new MAF? That may be what the dealer charged Nissan NA for part and labor. I recall seeing just the sensor portion of the MAF for under a $100. A whole new MAF unit is around $300 I believe.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$600.00 ROFLMAO

Unless the housing some how gets cracked or otherwise F'd up all any1 needs to do is call DaveB and get a new sensor for about $70.00

See my sig. I have had no problems!

ApexI or K/N with the Frank or the one from Firm is the way to go. Sometimes shorter is better
Old 01-22-2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777
$600.00 ROFLMAO

Unless the housing some how gets cracked or otherwise F'd up all any1 needs to do is call DaveB and get a new sensor for about $70.00

See my sig. I have had no problems!

ApexI or K/N with the Frank or the one from Firm is the way to go. Sometimes shorter is better
LOL! Thanks man. What exactly are the differences between the Frank and the Firm. They look very similar. The filter on the Firm looks almost metallic?? I'm torn between which to go with, as they both cost about the same.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

LOL! Thanks man. What exactly are the differences between the Frank and the Firm. They look very similar. The filter on the Firm looks almost metallic?? I'm torn between which to go with, as they both cost about the same.
I'm not sure about the filter on the 1 from Firm but the difference in the unit its self is in the design. Firm has a tube made of T6061 aluminum that has a slightly larger diameter with chamfered inner edges. The unit also has a buildt in MAF sensor adapter. This allows you to remove the stock MAF housing. I plan on getting 1 but like I said last night money is tight for me right now.

I'm also not knocking the Frank. Steve made these when no one else would and did it for a good price. He's even updated his couplers recently with no increase in cost. I just really like the design and looks of the Firm. Hopefully over time Steve will be able to do one similar.

Adam