5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hydrogen gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Hydrogen gas?

Anyone thought of venting hydrogen gases into the intakes for added power? Was thinking about it but was not sure if the hydrogen gas will damage any of the sensor. or maybe the sensor will not pick it up. any thoughts?
Jack
Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 PM

Re: Hydrogen gas?

Originally posted by 3D2kMax
Anyone thought of venting hydrogen gases into the intakes for added power? Was thinking about it but was not sure if the hydrogen gas will damage any of the sensor. or maybe the sensor will not pick it up. any thoughts?
Jack

But I'm No expert.....Good Luck!!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Hydrogen gas?

Originally posted by Bulldawg

Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Holy explosion batman!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:43 PM

Are ya kidding me?

Hydrogen powered vehicles are considered Alternate Fueled vehicles, like propane, cng, etc. which would require another gas tank to be added to the cars, and multiple modifications to the engine, and the only thing you'll be doing is slowing the car down!

You can go ahead and print up the fliers that say 'Got Hydro?' though and you can tell me if it looks better or worse than the 'Got Nos?' stickers...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:44 PM

Btw, when you say Hydrogen gas I assume you would mean gas as a liquid that powers a car, which would mean you would be talking about LH or Liquid Hydrogen...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hydrogen gas?

Originally posted by Bulldawg

But I'm No expert.....Good Luck!!!!

ROFLMAO

I don't know about Hydrogen gas but I know a good source of methane...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Are ya kidding me?

Hydrogen powered vehicles are considered Alternate Fueled vehicles, like propane, cng, etc. which would require another gas tank to be added to the cars, and multiple modifications to the engine, and the only thing you'll be doing is slowing the car down!

You can go ahead and print up the fliers that say 'Got Hydro?' though and you can tell me if it looks better or worse than the 'Got Nos?' stickers...

Yes but that is hydrogen powered cars, not gasoline and hydrogen powered cars. That's just insane
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Maxima Pilot

Freaking-**** Hindenburg...LOL!!! I

was seriously ROFLMAO too!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:02 PM

I say again Methane! AND BOOM
Old 01-23-2003, 10:25 PM

i dont want to sound like an ***, but this is a stupid question, study some basic chemicals and u would realize hydrogen isnt flammable by itself, only when there is oxygen present. its not a power adder, its a fuel source.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This isn't an alcohol driven funny car. This is a Maxima.....remember.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: Hydrogen gas?

Originally posted by 3D2kMax
Jack
How about u will be the firs one to try it and let us know how it went. BTW better save up some money for new engine
Old 01-24-2003, 02:32 PM
jjs

While I wouldn't want to try this myself, after thinking about it, I really don't see what is so outlandish about the idea.

A main concern is the volatility of the different materials...i.e. hydrogen and gasoline. There would have to be a proportionately higher amount of gasoline per hydrogen amount and introduced in such a way as to assure complete mixing of the two.

The results, while maybe not in terms of raw power, should at least be a cleaner running engine since a percentage of the fuel typically used has been replaced with the hydrogen gas which burns VERY cleanly.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by jjs
While I wouldn't want to try this myself, after thinking about it, I really don't see what is so outlandish about the idea.

A main concern is the volatility of the different materials...i.e. hydrogen and gasoline. There would have to be a proportionately higher amount of gasoline per hydrogen amount and introduced in such a way as to assure complete mixing of the two.

The results, while maybe not in terms of raw power, should at least be a cleaner running engine since a percentage of the fuel typically used has been replaced with the hydrogen gas which burns VERY cleanly.
Yeah it is very clean because the only by-product is water. Of course that changes if you mix it with gasoline. There would be a better benefit to the energy efficiency and environment to only using hydrogen. Of course that is fairly dangerous, and presents a problem in that respect. Most car manufacturers have been researching into hydrogen fuel, but the pure volatility of it is the main drawback.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:25 PM

As far as I know all manufacturers are using Hydrogen to power fuel cells. Not burn in an internal combustion engine. Good luck finding Liquid Hydrogen, too. I sure wouldn't want to be within a city block of your car.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
i dont want to sound like an ***, but this is a stupid question, study some basic chemicals and u would realize hydrogen isnt flammable by itself, only when there is oxygen present. its not a power adder, its a fuel source.
I second that, that means less O2 for combustion.

Next, I know someone will ask if it would be a good idea to spray liquid O2.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll have to check with my chemistry professor again, but i think he was using such an example 2 weeks ago. I believe he said that the biggest problem with hydrogen powered vehicles is the danger when hydrogen is exposed to oxygen. Hydrogen, if i'm not mistaking as mentionned above, is only flammable when in contact with oxygen. Now i believe that it's as soon as there is contact. Basically, if you are able to get hydrogen in an isolated state by itself and are able to inject that in some way in your vehicle, as soon as it makes contact with the oxygen it's going to ignite. Therefore, i'll tell you right now that you won't be able to get it through your intake. Otherwise it's going to be like someone making a bomb and having it accidentally detonate on him. Very bad. Another problem you'll run into is that hydrogen isn't as smooth as the gas. It's a violent explosion when in contact with oxygen. So if you're able to get it sprayed in somehow like they do NOS, once the explosion occurs in the engine, GOD help you man.