5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima vs. Acura CL TypeS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 02:13 PM

Has anyone gone up against a TypeS yet?
Old 01-06-2001, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not yet but a 5-speed Max and a TYPE-S would be a good race.

Mark
Old 01-06-2001, 03:49 PM
Got Bent?

A stick 5th gen Maxima would probably be be close to a CL-S. The auto would not though...
Old 01-06-2001, 04:23 PM

they always get on my *** but i always show-off and leave them confused
Old 01-07-2001, 11:51 AM
henryc1

NOS Maxima

I did run the Type S.
It was close race, but if I turn on my NOS that I will leave that thing behind my tail.
I raced 2 times one is without NOS and 2nd time I did surprise him BIG TIME. heheh...

Old 01-07-2001, 12:06 PM
henryc1

NOS Maxima

I did run the Type S.
It was close race, but if I turn on my NOS that I will leave that thing behind my tail.
I raced 2 times one is without NOS and 2nd time I did surprise him BIG TIME. heheh...

Old 01-07-2001, 03:30 PM

did you guys hear about....

the acura tl-s? i got an email from acura (i dont know why) and it gave me a link to the acura website where they were talking about the tl-s. its gonna be a 2002 model car, but they didn't talk about how much more hp it will have. just thought i would tell you guys, here's the link:http://www.acura.com/model_types/types_index.asp
Old 01-07-2001, 05:21 PM

Smokin'

henryc1,
What are you shooting there... 50 shot?
What are your track times?
Old 01-07-2001, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I read that the TL Type S was to have the same engine as the CL Type S and as such.. thus, 260HP. Same chassis, same engine. Honda is very predictable.
Old 01-08-2001, 09:29 AM

I took a few extended test drives in the TypeS before I purhcased my 2001 Maxima Anniversary Edition. Be warned - the Type S is damn fast in a straight line. You can pretty much forget it unless you're driving a 5 sp. Max or have serious mods.

In fact, stock v. stock, the Max 5sp. driver will lose more often than not, reason being that he will have to execute a perfect launch plus a couple of perfect shifts just to have a chance. The margin for error is very small. The Acura driver just has to bury his right foot and listen to the VTEC sceam toward redline. He doesn't even need to bother with the sport shift feature, as the 5 sp. automatic shifts at redline in response to wide open throttle anyway.

There were a number of things I didn't like about the Acura, but straight line acceleration sure wasn't one of them.

Jaeger
Old 01-08-2001, 02:05 PM

i tied one that was stock w/ 2 friends in my car..not sure how many people in his...it was dark...and, i lost to one that was fairly heavily modded...the guy said he had a max so he wanted to know what i had done...we were talking for awhile and he told me to gun it...so we both did and he pulled on me quite a bit...i'm not sure exactly what he had done, though...5spd max would be a good race depending on the 5spd driver (mags can only run 15.1 and higher while people on these boards ran high 14s stock...) depends on mods etc.

fully loaded max is around $29 whereas a cl-s is around $33?-$35...if you get your max for 29, do $4-6 grand worth of work to it, your car would kill the cl-s on corners, straightaways...everything...even an auto
Old 01-08-2001, 10:55 PM
Jesse

ran my buddies

Only reason I won was because he floored it from a stand still and just spun tires. Otherwise, I think it woulda been pretty close.

Like somebody mentioned, he'd probably win more often than me since I'm not used to the clumsy Maxima shifter. And boy, do those things sound sweet in VTEC. Wish my GS-R's sounded like that.

Old 01-08-2001, 11:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

He wouldnt bite..

I tried to bait this Silver CL-S Sunday night. Some guy with his girl. I was at a light and he pulled up next to me. He stared me down so I thought it was on. Light turns green so I rip it but he decides to drive like MS. Daisy. I somewhat wait for him so I can try again. This goes on for 3 lights so I finally give up. What I hate the most is that I was about to exit so I slow down in the right lane. This idiot flies right by me and I mean he opened it up! Like now I'm supposed to be so impressed?!? I think it would be a real good race. My friend has a TL and we raced hard. Im proud of the fact that I was able to beat him cuz I know for a fact that he tried his hardest to win. We're mad competitive with each other and I know he didnt hold back. Once in 3rd I was able to leave him behind with no hint of him coming back. A CL-S has so much more power than the TL....would be real tough for the Max, but interesting.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:48 AM

CL

Originally posted by Jaeger
I took a few extended test drives in the TypeS before I purhcased my 2001 Maxima Anniversary Edition. Be warned - the Type S is damn fast in a straight line. You can pretty much forget it unless you're driving a 5 sp. Max or have serious mods.

In fact, stock v. stock, the Max 5sp. driver will lose more often than not, reason being that he will have to execute a perfect launch plus a couple of perfect shifts just to have a chance. The margin for error is very small. The Acura driver just has to bury his right foot and listen to the VTEC sceam toward redline. He doesn't even need to bother with the sport shift feature, as the 5 sp. automatic shifts at redline in response to wide open throttle anyway.

There were a number of things I didn't like about the Acura, but straight line acceleration sure wasn't one of them.

Jaeger
Jaeger, what didn't you like about the CL-s ? I'm very interested in driving one before making my next car purchase.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:10 AM

Things I didn't like about the CL-S include:

1) No stick. This was a big issue for me. The "sport-shift autos" are a big improvement over conventional autos, but no replacement for a proper gear lever and three pedals. Main reason I also passed on the IS 300.

2) Size. This is supposedly a sporting coupe, but it's bigger and heavier than the Max. What gives? Back seat is useable, but not that spacious.

3) Exterior styling. Or rather the lack thereof. Almost nothing to differentiate this car from a Camry Solara. Interior design and materials are first-rate.

4) No stick...

Bottom line is there are a lot more positives than negatives with this car. I definitely recommend a test drive, particularly if a manual gear shift is not a priority.

Cheers,

Jaeger

QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie Lomax

Jaeger, what didn't you like about the CL-s ? I'm very interested in driving one before making my next car purchase. [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 01-10-2001, 10:18 AM

I saw a black type s today on the way to my interview. OHHHHHHHHHH my gooooodddd it was so gorgeous. I would trade my max in a second for it. It was super clean black and lowered and had some 18" sweet rims. The were 5 spoke and the spokes were 2 part like this //\\ and they bent out in the middle of the spoke. anyone know what kind of rims those are?? My god this thing was gorgeous and mean looking.
Im still drooling over it.

Adam
Old 01-10-2001, 10:33 AM

The 4 door is coming this Fall.

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
I saw a black type s today on the way to my interview. OHHHHHHHHHH my gooooodddd it was so gorgeous. I would trade my max in a second for it. It was super clean black and lowered and had some 18" sweet rims. The were 5 spoke and the spokes were 2 part like this //\\ and they bent out in the middle of the spoke. anyone know what kind of rims those are?? My god this thing was gorgeous and mean looking.
Im still drooling over it.

Adam
Old 01-10-2001, 10:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my friend recently bought a silver CL Type-S.
it's a really nice car(except what did they do to the styling?)...
i really like the interior..especially the white faced 3 oval instrument cluster...those things are neat!
and uh...yeah, the engine.
it's fast~ i think for stock to stock...maxima with auto tranny would lose...(not get killed...but lose) to the Type-S.
well, even for 5 speeds...it'll be a hard match up.
i haven't raced my friend yet cuz...uh...he's like 27 and he doesn't want to ruin his brand-new car.
guess he doesn't know that all the new cars these days are already broke in from the factory!!
Old 01-10-2001, 08:40 PM
Maxx Atlanta

If your new to the forum...

I gave my blow by blow account of what happened when I went into north georgia mountains racing one around the s- curves. The transmission would not holdup and 21/2 month $33.5k car and it went up in smoke (The tranny). Believe me I was door to door coming out of a turn and POOOOOFFFF Black smoke with the flavor of a tranny. I'll keep maxin my friends HeHeHeHe!!!!!

Old 01-10-2001, 11:29 PM

Re: If your new to the forum...

Originally posted by Maxx Atlanta
I gave my blow by blow account of what happened when I went into north georgia mountains racing one around the s- curves. The transmission would not holdup and 21/2 month $33.5k car and it went up in smoke (The tranny). Believe me I was door to door coming out of a turn and POOOOOFFFF Black smoke with the flavor of a tranny. I'll keep maxin my friends HeHeHeHe!!!!!
Maxx Atlanta,
I guess I am not reading your post correctly, sorry...
Did your Maxima's tranny blow out, or the Type S?

I test drove one before I bought my Max... Power was good, but not enough room in the back.
Old 01-11-2001, 08:01 PM
Maxx Atlanta

The Type S did blow it's tranny!!

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Originally posted by Maxx Atlanta
Maxx Atlanta,
I guess I am not reading your post correctly, sorry...
Did your Maxima's tranny blow out, or the Type S?

I test drove one before I bought my Max... Power was good, but not enough room in the back.
I called the tow truck for the guy and this tall amazon beauty of a blonde. Wanted to leave his A*@ behind so I could spend some cruisin time with her....but I behaved. I can't judge every type-S car because that would not be fair to the public, but from what I've experienced up close running door to door with one was that yeah that car (CL-S) can move...but only in a straight line (Drag racing). It doesn't behave well like the maxx does in the real world s-curves up in moutainous driving with twists and turns. The tranny just won't hold So on a road course I stay in the maxx, although the maxx isn't world class in slolams, it holds it weight well for what it worth when competing with this car( the CL-S).