5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 10:39 PM

What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

What is your opinion on "road respect" of the new Maxima's? Do you think Acura and BMW owners look at the new Maxima's like, " That is a nice car as well" , or " That is just a normal car"? I think with the new HID's coming standard, new styling, speed, and options, that the Maxima is starting to get more road respect. But that is my opinion. I drive it on the road and think it is up there with the TL, and 3-series BMW. What do you think?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:39 AM

I think that some people buy Acuras and BMWs for the snob appeal, and no, to them a Maxima is just a Nissan.

"Too bad you couldn't afford a real car."
Old 01-27-2003, 07:41 AM
jjs

Originally posted by simpleMax
I think that some people buy Acuras and BMWs for the snob appeal, and no, to them a Maxima is just a Nissan.

Yep, and just wait until you encounter 3.5 Altima's that give attitude...
Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got a bunch of "what the hell looks" when I took my Max to the 1/4 mile track a couple of weekends ago.

Pretty funny, I guess no one really assumed all that much when the see this grocery getter at the track, until I handed almost all the imports there-their butts, (in relation to times).

As for on the road, well I really don't care. I like my car for what it is, and what it can do. I don't need to use my car as an extension of my manhood on the road
Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by Sam03
As for on the road, well I really don't care. I like my car for what it is, and what it can do. I don't need to use my car as an extension of my manhood on the road
bingo!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The Maxima will always be considered the "poor man's 5-series" and I don't have a problem with that It gives you most of the features and performance of a 5-series, only FWD, and it's obviously missing the BMW badge but who cares?

I could care less what BMW or Acura owners think of me in my Nissan. I'll be happy to show them my tail lights at any time
Old 01-27-2003, 08:17 AM
vqman

Originally posted by Sam03
zactly!

I looked at a 1998 M3 and a 2001 330ci, drove them all, the M3 was obviously the best driver, followed by the 330ci, but the Maxima wasn't far behind teh 330ci, and there was so much more space, plus it's a brand new car with a warranty to go along with it.

I didn't need the BMW to help my ego. Otherwise I would have got one.

-vq

Old 01-27-2003, 08:23 AM
jjs

Actually a whole lot depends on where you live. Here in Houston 3-series cars are a dime a dozen. 5's are borderline commonplace.

What's funny is often I get more looks in my 7 year old truck than in my car and the truck even gets looks from 3 series owners about half the time.

Funny how demographics drive taste.

Drive what you like...who gives a rat's butt what other think? I will care about their opinion when they start paying for the car.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:53 AM

Do the 3 series come with the heated steering wheel? That's one thing that I think is really unique about the Max and not many other cars (including luxury) have.

Funny, some guy was racing me the other day in what I thought was an M3. We took it up to 100 and he was gaining on me. I was ready for him to pass me on the right but he was taking too long. I slowed down so he didn't crash into the car in the right lane and let him pass.

I noticed that it wasn't an M3 but a 325 or something. Oh, I should also mention that I was in my 1993 Mazda MX-6 beater car with 127,000 miles on the ODO. If it was my 2k3 Max this guy would not have had a chance!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:12 AM

I could care less what BMW or Acura owners think of me in my Nissan. I'll be happy to show them my tail lights at any time
Same here....
Old 01-27-2003, 12:22 PM

...I do think that Max's are getting more respect, at least around me (metro Dallas / Fort Worth, TX) because I work for an architecture firm in a nice area of Fort Worth (by the new Modern Museum for those that know the area) and the company downstairs from us in the building we are in has half the covered reserved parking, we have the other half.

On their side it is BMW M5, M3, 540, X5, right in a row I am not kidding. 5 Bimmers in a row in the first five parking spots. Right across are our cars... Mine being the Black 2002 SE... Within 4-5 weeks of my new car showing up in the covered lot last year, one of the other company's employees had a 2002 SE in sunlit sand parked next to the Bimmers across the way...

I think for a lot of people it is just a matter of seeing one up close to appreciate its looks, then driving one seals the deal.

I have caught some of the civic/integra racer wing guys stealing glances over at mine, especially at night when their neon is glowing and they see me next to 'em with the xenons and piaas glowing up front, and the clear corner hyperwhites on the sides... Respect is growing when people witness what they are capable of. So many people who don't know the specs of the car just instinctively lump them in with accord / camry / galant type cars...

...How many of you have said they have gone to the track and gotten laughed at when they see you pull in, and then you run in the 14's and everybody suddenly stops laughing??? So many people have had the same experience, word is getting around.

PEACE.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:28 PM

i had some people in my car sat night going downtown and they told me... "very nice lexus you have". i just laughed and said i have a maxima... a poor mans lexus.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:40 PM

Actually it's the opposite here where I live. Multiple people have said that the next thing higher than a Maxima is a 5 series BMW, or Lexus GS, for what you get in the car. People around here believe the Maxima is a step above the Accord and Camry. I would agree that the Maxima is right up there with the TL which I don't believe is in the same category as the 3 series or other RWD sports sedans. The reason people say that the Maxima is not on the level of the TL is because the I30/35 exist, but we all know that the Maxima and I30/35 are practically the same car.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
Actually it's the opposite here where I live. Multiple people have said that the next thing higher than a Maxima is a 5 series BMW, or Lexus GS, for what you get in the car. People around here believe the Maxima is a step above the Accord and Camry. I would agree that the Maxima is right up there with the TL which I don't believe is in the same category as the 3 series or other RWD sports sedans. The reason people say that the Maxima is not on the level of the TL is because the I30/35 exist, but we all know that the Maxima and I30/35 are practically the same car.
exactly. i could have had a 99 gs300 but my max does everything just as good, but is faster and cheaper to maintain.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:25 PM

I would never have considered the Maxima except that when I checked Consumers Reports the Volvo S40, which I wanted, was rated at the bottom for reliability. The Maxima has the highest predicted reliablity amoung "family cars".

So, I started looking, and liked what I saw. It fit what I was looking for in a car.

But remember, if you are buying a car to impress other people, you might fail. You are destined to buy a car that impresses you and what you percieve to be cool/expensive/fast.

Get the car you want and will feel good in.

Heck, I have a mortgage, kids in braces, clothes to buy, food to put on the table, aging parents to visit. I'm doing what's right for my family. If you think I'm trying to impress anyone by the car I drive....

There are always people who are better looking than you, have more money than you, drive a "better" car. Don't worry about it.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Matthew
...I do think that Max's are getting more respect, at least around me (metro Dallas / Fort Worth, TX) because I work for an architecture firm in a nice area of Fort Worth (by the new Modern Museum for those that know the area) and the company downstairs from us in the building we are in has half the covered reserved parking, we have the other half.

On their side it is BMW M5, M3, 540, X5, right in a row I am not kidding. 5 Bimmers in a row in the first five parking spots. Right across are our cars... Mine being the Black 2002 SE... Within 4-5 weeks of my new car showing up in the covered lot last year, one of the other company's employees had a 2002 SE in sunlit sand parked next to the Bimmers across the way...

I think for a lot of people it is just a matter of seeing one up close to appreciate its looks, then driving one seals the deal.

I have caught some of the civic/integra racer wing guys stealing glances over at mine, especially at night when their neon is glowing and they see me next to 'em with the xenons and piaas glowing up front, and the clear corner hyperwhites on the sides... Respect is growing when people witness what they are capable of. So many people who don't know the specs of the car just instinctively lump them in with accord / camry / galant type cars...

...How many of you have said they have gone to the track and gotten laughed at when they see you pull in, and then you run in the 14's and everybody suddenly stops laughing??? So many people have had the same experience, word is getting around.

PEACE.
Where do you live in Ft. Worth?, I live close by.....Nice to know that there are other Max's in the area....
Just got 03 6spd week and half ago...Let the mods begin......
Old 01-27-2003, 02:50 PM

Thats how most of those owners feel I think. I have always been the type of person to buy something that is the best deal, but that is also not cheap either. The Maxima is under a good name being under Nissan, and has everything a $30-40,000 BMW, Acura or Benz can have. If I want people to look and want to say I drive those cars, then I will spend 10 or 20 grand more.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:52 PM

I would never have considered the Maxima except that when I checked Consumers Reports the Volvo S40, which I wanted, was rated at the bottom for reliability. The Maxima has the highest predicted reliablity amoung "family cars".

So, I started looking, and liked what I saw. It fit what I was looking for in a car.

But remember, if you are buying a car to impress other people, you might fail. You are destined to buy a car that impresses you and what you percieve to be cool/expensive/fast.

Heck, I have a mortgage, kids in braces, clothes to buy, food to put on the table, aging parents to visit. I'm doing what's right for my family. If you think I'm trying to impress anyone by the car I drive....

There are always people who are better looking than you, have more money than you, drive a "better" car. Don't worry about it.
When people say stuff I usually say " well that does your car have that the Maxima doesn't? Unless of course they have an $80,000 Benz.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by MaximusMorpheus

Where do you live in Ft. Worth?, I live close by.....Nice to know that there are other Max's in the area....
Just got 03 6spd week and half ago...Let the mods begin......
Good luck to you. I actually live in Arlington, but I work in that area in Fort Worth...
Old 01-27-2003, 03:32 PM

Man, did you hit the nail on the head! I've been a "car guy" since I was 3, and always gravitated towards the cars that impress ME, not anyone else. The Max does this better than anything else on the road.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by C430

Man, did you hit the nail on the head! I've been a "car guy" since I was 3, and always gravitated towards the cars that impress ME, not anyone else. The Max does this better than anything else on the road.
IF you could easily afford an $80,000 Benz, would you still have a Maxima? Remember, I said "easily".
Old 01-27-2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
Yep I agree with you and here the same thing in my Neck of DFW the Plano area. People always compare my 03 to a TL they donot even mention the Accord or Camry. I think alot of people pretty much know the Max is a car with its own identity and can compare and compete with several levels of cars!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Yep I agree with you and here the same thing in my Neck of DFW the Plano area. People always compare my 03 to a TL they donot even mention the Accord or Camry. I think alot of people pretty much know the Max is a car with its own identity and can compare and compete with several levels of cars!
Thats what I have always said. Even though we are in the same "class" as the Accord and Camry, everyone knows the Maxima is a better car. Most people I know compare it to thier CL and TL's. A friend of mine who has a BMW 3 series said he loves the Maxima and is going to get one in a few years over the 3 series Beamer.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:26 AM

I think DFW Area Maxima's in general are getting a lot of respect, because from what I know there are 3-4 Boosted Maxima's, either Turbo or Supercharged....I plan to join those elite sometime soon....This year the Maxima will undoubtly show the US what this car is capable of doing on and off the track.....
Old 01-28-2003, 10:47 AM

I think most people in upstate NY don't even think twice about the Maxima. Most of them consider it Nissan's version of the Accord/Camry. People in Acuras and BMWs certainly don't think twice about the Max (yet BMW and Acura are a dime a dozen round here, Maximas are more rare). But I also think some people with smaller cars are impressed by it too. I've gotten a few "Damn, that's a nice car" comments. I think it really just matters what kind of income you have. Aston Martin drivers aren't impressed by 5-series BMWs. And likewise, Bugatti drivers aren't impressed with Aston Martins.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I think most people in upstate NY don't even think twice about the Maxima. Most of them consider it Nissan's version of the Accord/Camry. People in Acuras and BMWs certainly don't think twice about the Max (yet BMW and Acura are a dime a dozen round here, Maximas are more rare). But I also think some people with smaller cars are impressed by it too. I've gotten a few "Damn, that's a nice car" comments. I think it really just matters what kind of income you have. Aston Martin drivers aren't impressed by 5-series BMWs. And likewise, Bugatti drivers aren't impressed with Aston Martins.
Ya good point. Depends on income. Some guy with a new Bentley won't take a second look at a $100,000 Benz, let alone a Maxima.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:29 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by VQMAN

zactly!

I looked at a 1998 M3 and a 2001 330ci, drove them all, the M3 was obviously the best driver, followed by the 330ci, but the Maxima wasn't far behind teh 330ci, and there was so much more space, plus it's a brand new car with a warranty to go along with it.

I didn't need the BMW to help my ego. Otherwise I would have got one.

-vq
You should have disabled your sig for that post.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Bluebird

You should have disabled your sig for that post.
LOL. HAHA. Good one... didnt quite see that.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Originally posted by floridabornmax
What is your opinion on "road respect" of the new Maxima's? Do you think Acura and BMW owners look at the new Maxima's like, " That is a nice car as well" , or " That is just a normal car"? I think with the new HID's coming standard, new styling, speed, and options, that the Maxima is starting to get more road respect. But that is my opinion. I drive it on the road and think it is up there with the TL, and 3-series BMW. What do you think?
No, like said above, I think BMW and Acura drivers think "glad I bought an Acura or BMW", and don't have a lot of respect for other brands. Which doesn't necessarily make them pretentious (some are), because folks who spring the $$ for one of those are usually more into (and proud of) their cars. They chose their car because they thought it was superior to others; so did we.

On the road, I haven't noticed anyone particularly admiring my car, possibly because the silver is a pretty subdued color; usually it's you flashy Super Black and Majestic Blue guys that attract attention. But, those that have checked it out are usually the guys in modded cars who probably know what it can do performance-wise.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Originally posted by Maximax2

No, like said above, I think BMW and Acura drivers think "glad I bought an Acura or BMW", and don't have a lot of respect for other brands. Which doesn't necessarily make them pretentious (some are), because folks who spring the $$ for one of those are usually more into (and proud of) their cars. They chose their car because they thought it was superior to others; so did we.

On the road, I haven't noticed anyone particularly admiring my car, possibly because the silver is a pretty subdued color; usually it's you flashy Super Black and Majestic Blue guys that attract attention. But, those that have checked it out are usually the guys in modded cars who probably know what it can do performance-wise.

Have you ever ripped out at a light with another car?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Originally posted by floridabornmax

Have you ever ripped out at a light with another car?
D'you mean have I ever raced anyone? Sure - why?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
and for those that i do show my tails to, some may have no clue what just walked away from them as they really just see my naked rear end....cuz **** is debagged!

however, when i do notice them checking my black beauty, at a stoplight usually, they're staring at the frocking rims!!! further proof no one really looks at max
Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

No, like said above, I think BMW and Acura drivers think "glad I bought an Acura or BMW", and don't have a lot of respect for other brands.
This is not true. I have a lot of respect for Ferrari and Porsche cars
Certainly, there are some cars that I just hate and can't stand driving next to/behind them. For instance, Neons, Civics, Saturns, Kias and such. I always did and will continue to recognize Maximas, and Nissans in general. Although, if the driver acts like a total moron, then it's a different story. I always respect other drivers if they respect me.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Originally posted by AndyXXL

This is not true. I have a lot of respect for Ferrari and Porsche cars
Certainly, there are some cars that I just hate and can't stand driving next to/behind them. For instance, Neons, Civics, Saturns, Kias and such. I always did and will continue to recognize Maximas, and Nissans in general. Although, if the driver acts like a total moron, then it's a different story. I always respect other drivers if they respect me.
Man, you respect Maximas so much you donated? We need more Beemer owners like you
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Man, you respect Maximas so much you donated? We need more Beemer owners like you
haha fo sho! Can his Beamer beat a new Maxima?
Old 01-30-2003, 02:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you think in terms of "road respect"?

Actually, I used to be a Maxima enthusiast just like you. I've been living on this board since 09/2000
Old 01-30-2003, 02:57 PM

Here is my $.02 added. I know for a fact every mechanic shop I ever pull in to for any reason .. the first compliment I get is..."that car is freaking fast". Barber shop guys always tell me 'I love maximas, there's just something about those cars". Like it has been said before they are in a league of their own. A lot of people dont understand maxima's and they often identify with just a fast family car. Remember, there arent a lot of people on the road who knows anything about the car they drive. They just know brand! Prime ex: my sister-in-law and her husband they bought an 1999 Acura RL a year ago because they said its a fast "luxury" car. Then I realize defending my maxima against them would be a waste of my time. I just brought them the specs and the relative costs. Last, the comment I get always from people is the maxima is a poor's man 540i.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
Last, the comment I get always from people is the maxima is a poor's man 540i.
I prefer to think of the Maxima as "the sensible man's 540i"
Old 01-30-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by 2k1GrayMaxSE

I prefer to think of the Maxima as "the sensible man's 540i"
haha good one!