5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lower grille inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 10:38 PM

lower grille inserts

This may be kinda way out there but I'm looking for your thoughts...

I installed the grille tech lower inserts on my '03 Max...I think they look great and are a nice product. But since then I noticed that at highway speeds (and above) the front end seems to drift a little. Is it possible that because I covered up the openings, the reduced air flow is causing less downforce on the front end? I figure the hood contributes the most downforce to the front end but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this with lower grille inserts installed.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: lower grille inserts

Originally posted by RC03MAX

I installed the grille tech lower inserts on my '03 Max...I think they look great and are a nice product. But since then I noticed that at highway speeds (and above) the front end seems to drift a little. Is it possible that because I covered up the openings, the reduced air flow is causing less downforce on the front end? I figure the hood contributes the most downforce to the front end but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this with lower grille inserts installed.
Hmmmmm...good question. I didn't really notice when I put mine on, but I do notice that my car floats a little. I'm hoping springs fix this...you know, you can't really see the lower grille's anyhow, so I might just take em off.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: lower grille inserts

Looks like you've got the dreaded aero-push.

Really though I don't think you would see this kind of effect until you are well over 100mph. Even then it's still not soild, air still goes threw it.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:37 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

no problems here. I may have to repaint mine though
Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by maximadave
Repaint? Are they rusting or something? I haven't looked to close at mine lately, but they're pretty dark...it rains here quite a bit so I'm not touchin them till summer
Old 01-28-2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
I was looking at grill-tech's site and they say to regularly wash AND wax them???? They are powder coated so I figured they would be immune?

I don't know if they are worth $60 after hearing about this (and the front end drifting ).
Old 01-28-2003, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: lower grille inserts

I hear what you're saying maximaman777 about the effects at higher speed and stuff....but i vaguely remember an article in a car magazine years ago about the change in aerodynamics with the old stlye "flip up headlights"...and it was related to handling

My grill tech inserts are the racer type with the holes...I agree that air does get through but it would still cause higher air pressure in front of the inserts compared to no inserts at all

I'll probably yank them off and see if anything changes...
Old 01-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: lower grille inserts

I hear what you're saying maximaman777 about the effects at higher speed and stuff....but i vaguely remember an article in a car magazine years ago about the change in aerodynamics with the old stlye "flip up headlights"...and it was related to handling

My grill tech inserts are the racer type with the holes...I agree that air does get through but it would still cause higher air pressure in front of the inserts compared to no inserts at all

I'll probably yank them off and see if anything changes...
Are they easy to take off and put back on?
If so give it a shot and report back. Don't get a speeding ticket!
Old 01-28-2003, 06:01 PM

JMS Grill

I had the grill- tech grills first, but could not really see them , and they also started to rust so i switched to this one. This was a quick pic that I took the day I got the grill and just threw it on with the wire ties noticable. I have since removed the dust covers underneath the bumpers and put the grill on properly with no visible wire ties showing.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:01 PM

Re: JMS Grill

Originally posted by tmiller02
I had the grill- tech grills first, but could not really see them , and they also started to rust so i switched to this one. This was a quick pic that I took the day I got the grill and just threw it on with the wire ties noticable. I have since removed the dust covers underneath the bumpers and put the grill on properly with no visible wire ties showing.

I was trying to do one out of home depot gutter mesh but it was too much of a pain in the butt to cut right. If I could take the bumper off or get it from behind like the 2k1s it would be much easier.

Hey, aren't you scratching your paint without any protection on that grill???
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: lower grille inserts

Originally posted by maximaman777

Are they easy to take off and put back on?
If so give it a shot and report back. Don't get a speeding ticket!

Yeah...the grille inserts are held with plastic ties....I'll let you guys know if there is any difference with and without
Old 01-29-2003, 02:14 PM

Scratches

No scratches. You can't see it , but the outside edge has a rubber border around it. You also have to remove the dust covers underneath to get the wire ties on properly, but they pop right off and back on.