5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Wife Stole My Max...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 07:21 AM

My Wife Stole My Max...

So, we sold the Rodeo. Time to get another SUV. After looking around, my wife decided she wanted a RAV - 4. Ummm......No. I told her we might as well buy another maxima if she wanted that thing. So, last night we bought an '02 Xterra 4X4. After driving it home she proceeds to tell me that she is now going to drive my Max cause "she doesn't like / feel safe driving that big car"

WTF am i to do???????????? The last thing I want is her to not be comfortable driving, especially with our 7 month old son in the car. The Exterra is def. taller than the Rodeo...but not much bigger.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:24 AM
jjs

Re: My Wife Stole My Max...

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp
So, we sold the Rodeo. Time to get another SUV. After looking around, my wife decided she wanted a RAV - 4. Ummm......No. I told her we might as well buy another maxima if she wanted that thing. So, last night we bought an '02 Xterra 4X4. After driving it home she proceeds to tell me that she is now going to drive my Max cause "she doesn't like / feel safe driving that big car"

WTF am i to do???????????? The last thing I want is her to not be comfortable driving, especially with our 7 month old son in the car. The Exterra is def. taller than the Rodeo...but not much bigger.

First of all, why did you guys buy a vehicle for if one of you didn't 'feel comfortable'? Truly, this is not a flame, I just can't understand how this could not have been communicated prior to signing for anything. And please notice that I am not taking sides.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:41 AM
It's chrome alright...

tell her to "get comfortable" in it. It's safer (it's not, but tell her it is), it's as comfortable (again, not, but hopefully she won't know), and you're screwed. Say bye-bye Max... unless you can convince her the 7-month old is safer (this one is true) in the SUV than in your car.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
tell her to "get comfortable" in it. It's safer (it's not, but tell her it is), it's as comfortable (again, not, but hopefully she won't know), and you're screwed. Say bye-bye Max... unless you can convince her the 7-month old is safer (this one is true) in the SUV than in your car.
For real man, you need to flame her for that shi*. Also, i think that was her plan so you would have a sissy a s s car so she could feel better. Just kidding. I think you shold still tell her that her that being in an maxima doesnt garuntee more safer conditions than the Xterra. As long as she doesnt man-handle it, it should be fine. And if doesnt work out, I recommend you find a nice Xterra forum and never tell anyone this happened.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 AM

If you were happy with the Rodeo you should have bought an Isuzu Trooper instead of the Xterra. You can even fit 3 baby car seats in the back. The Trooper has a tighter turning circle than the Max and way more powerful engine than the non-S/C Xterra. Top that with auto-4x4 (TOD) in inclement weather and a huge trunk and you can't find a better deal among mid-size SUVs.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:12 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

go right back to the dealer and tell them you made a mistake. Offer to give them $500 for wasting their time. The new truck isnt registered yet, so technically, they probably could stop the sale. Act fast.. It may hurt alittle, but will be cheaper than living with a car you dont want.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:12 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

in fact, you might have more leverage if you tell them you'd like a max instead.. get *yourself* something nice
Old 01-30-2003, 09:34 AM

I agree

Originally posted by TimW
in fact, you might have more leverage if you tell them you'd like a max instead.. get *yourself* something nice
Make quick and call, say you are just not happy with the X and offer to buy a Max instead.

Then option the new max to exactly how you want it so that when you get home your wife can inform you that it's actually going to be hers.

muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:devi l:
Old 01-30-2003, 09:39 AM
jjs

Before you do ANY of these things...

TALK TO THE WOMAN!!!!!

Make sure a second Max is really what you both want or if she just chose her preference between the Max and X-Terra....BUT really would be MOST happy with something completely different.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
Old 01-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Definately talk to your wife before doing anything. It's not like your Max is going anywhere. I feel for you. I would have a hard time giving up my Max too. I am fortunate that my wife does not like to drive my car because it is a manual.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:23 AM

I say talk to your wife man. See if you can get her to drive the Truck.. If not then talk to her about exchanging the truck for a Maxima or somthing she likes, If that still a No Go, then just let her drive the Maxima and you drive the Truck.

Remember, Your wife and Kid are far more important then your Maxima. Nothing more important to me in the world then my wife.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:29 AM

isn't there a law says that you can return your purhcased vehicle with 36hrs? check on that....if both of you don't like you might as well just return it if possible
Old 01-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Return it....give her the Max....AND BUY YOURSELF THE 350Z or G35C!!!

She's the one causing the problem, so use that leverage for the coupe.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
jjs

Re: Re: My Wife Stole My Max...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Return it....give her the Max....AND BUY YOURSELF THE 350Z or G35C!!!

She's the one causing the problem, so use that leverage for the coupe.

Not to point fingers here, but dude...you can't get a feel for who gets their way from the original post??
Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
isn't there a law says that you can return your purhcased vehicle with 36hrs? check on that....if both of you don't like you might as well just return it if possible
Not in California. All over every dealer here there are signs in big letters saying "No cooling off period in California".

Talk to your wife and find out what the deal is. There's a big difference between a Max and an Xterra. What did she say she wanted in the first place?

My wife is great about cars. We traded her old Accord for a new Max and when I asked if she wanted to drive the new car daily, she said she'd prefer to take my 97 Max instead. I guess she saw enough of my obsessive-compulsive car behaviors to not want any part of getting the first scratch on a new car!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 PM

I feel for ya, dude. I bought my wife a Volvo wagon a year ago. Guess what I'm driving now?

I told her she's losing the Max in the spring - I wanna install my mods, and she's back in the wagon for good. (I hope!)
Old 01-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Maxima Pilot

Dat's one of the reasons why my cars have

ALWAYS had a manual tranny -and will be until I cant walk anymore.
Mine is mine and hers is hers..if she screws up the decision, she can look in the mirror to find out who to blame.

This philosophy has worked wonders to contribute to 21 years of marital bliss.

Old 01-30-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Dat's one of the reasons why my cars have

YOU ARE A GOD! HEHE

Originally posted by Galo
ALWAYS be manual tranny -and will be until I cant walk anymore.
Mine is mine and hers is hers..if she screws up the decision, she can look in the mirror to find out who to blame.

This philosophy has worked wonders to contribute to 21 years of marital bliss.

Old 01-30-2003, 01:10 PM
jjs

Unless you meet really cool women who actually like driving sticks!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:12 PM

wow. just tell her its a nissan and she will learn to like it.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Maxima Pilot

Cool women who like driving sticks...uh-huh,

I can see where THAT'S headed...LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the irony is my wife is a good stick driver...she just does'nt like to do that regularly -shift gears manually, that is.

Notice I said 'shift gears manually' and not 'drive sticks', too

Old 01-30-2003, 01:24 PM
jjs

Re: Cool women who like driving sticks...uh-huh,

Originally posted by Galo
I can see where THAT'S headed...LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the irony is my wife is a good stick driver...she just does'nt like to do that regularly -shift gears manually, that is.

Notice I said 'shift gears manually' and not 'drive sticks', too

Old 01-30-2003, 01:32 PM

Dude,
I am in a similar predicament. My wife and I share this max and its hard to keep modding it coz we have to share. I have made the decision to get her own car. Well, we live in an area where there are lots of hills and we need to get an SUV. Problem is.. she doesnt want an SUV for herself. So- where am I you asked... well, either give her the maxima and get a SUV or get her a second car BUT we NEED 4X4 for our area. Yeah, I am still thinking!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut
Dude,
I am in a similar predicament. My wife and I share this max and its hard to keep modding it coz we have to share. I have made the decision to get her own car. Well, we live in an area where there are lots of hills and we need to get an SUV. Problem is.. she doesnt want an SUV for herself. So- where am I you asked... well, either give her the maxima and get a SUV or get her a second car BUT we NEED 4X4 for our area. Yeah, I am still thinking!
Yeah...that's EXACTLY the problem we have...need a big car for trips, going camping, mtn. biking, etc. Now I'm driving that big car...lol...

she said earlier today she wants to spend some more time driving it to get comfy with it...so I'll keep my finger's crossed...
Old 01-30-2003, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: My Wife Stole My Max...

Originally posted by jjs

First of all, why did you guys buy a vehicle for if one of you didn't 'feel comfortable'? Truly, this is not a flame, I just can't understand how this could not have been communicated prior to signing for anything. And please notice that I am not taking sides.

she never drove it...but she told me earlier she wanted a "smaller" verhicle. I didn't think she meant smaller than the rodeo. I was thinking smaller than a tahoe / expedition.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
If you were happy with the Rodeo you should have bought an Isuzu Trooper instead of the Xterra. You can even fit 3 baby car seats in the back. The Trooper has a tighter turning circle than the Max and way more powerful engine than the non-S/C Xterra. Top that with auto-4x4 (TOD) in inclement weather and a huge trunk and you can't find a better deal among mid-size SUVs.
look at the value of a trooper with 80,000 miles compared to an xterra w/ the same...
Old 01-30-2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by jjs

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
this is true...i think she is slowly warming up to the Xterra...also, I think I will go ahead and lower it, and put on some big a$$ 18's or 19,s, sell the 17s, and see how much she wants to drive it then.....
Old 01-30-2003, 01:59 PM

she said earlier today she wants to spend some more time driving it to get comfy with it...so I'll keep my finger's crossed...
Well, she may end up liking it and keeping it. I know some women like the height and security of SUV. At least my wife does but she WANTS a car. She swears I should keep the SUV. Oh well, time to look for the new Range 4.6 HSE (Then I wont think twice about the maxima). Anyone want to finance me $70,000?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:37 PM

this time get yourself a car with some real rims! syke
Old 01-30-2003, 07:06 PM

look at the value of a trooper with 80,000 miles compared to an xterra w/ the same...
I didn't say to buy it brand new, although that isn't too bad with the huge discounts going around. Anyway, it's a moot point since you are already stuck with the Xterra. Enjoy it, it's still a nice vehicle!
Old 02-03-2003, 08:53 AM

UPDATE

OK...

just wanted to let everyone know that we will be keeping the Xterra. Took it off roading this weekend. Holy ja molie...the thing impressed the crap outta me. I was seriosly scared in some parts of flipping over, getting stuck, etc. But the Xterra is absolutly AMAZING for a stock 4WD. I got some really weird looks by a bunch of rednecks in their big a$$ jacked up trucks...they were no doubt thinking "what the heck is this yay-hoo doing back here??" These trails were pretty demanding to say the least.

Also, the wife said she is liking it more everytime she drives it...so looks like I may end up with the best of both worlds after all.

I'll post some pics of the X all dirtied up in a couple days...

Old 02-03-2003, 09:18 AM
OG and counting...

Re: UPDATE

OK...

just wanted to let everyone know that we will be keeping the Xterra. Took it off roading this weekend. Holy ja molie...the thing impressed the crap outta me. I was seriosly scared in some parts of flipping over, getting stuck, etc. But the Xterra is absolutly AMAZING for a stock 4WD. I got some really weird looks by a bunch of rednecks in their big a$$ jacked up trucks...they were no doubt thinking "what the heck is this yay-hoo doing back here??" These trails were pretty demanding to say the least.

Also, the wife said she is liking it more everytime she drives it...so looks like I may end up with the best of both worlds after all.

I'll post some pics of the X all dirtied up in a couple days...

Congrats on the compromise. Pretty soon, I will be facing a similar post marital issue since I let my gf drive my '02 Max. She said "You'll be getting the truck, honey."
Old 02-03-2003, 09:30 AM
vqman

Originally posted by PIONEER
Remember, Your wife and Kid are far more important then your Maxima. Nothing more important to me in the world then my wife.

true, but to sacrafice your own happiness? she drove the truck before she bought it...no? yes? She should have said she didn't like it before she let you buy it for her. FOR HER!

Trade in the Xterra for a 2004 Maxima, let her keep the old one!

-vq

Old 02-03-2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
this time get yourself a car with some real rims! syke
It does have rims now...(FYI)...just an old picture
Old 02-03-2003, 10:43 AM

haha..sorry but i find ur story pretty funny... like the others said...i think u should go back to the dealer and say u wanna get a max instead..i'm sure they're not gonna hurt ur pocketbook too much if u opt for another nissan....

hey i'm in the mortgage business in ga too....kinda sucks that they put all those new laws in our state, eh? lotta lenders are starting to back out of ga because of them. BOO ON GEORGIA!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:03 AM

Talk to your wife like a man.
Get her out of that Maxima of yours. No use ruining that car to compound your problems. Just because she messed up she doesn't have to ruin you life. Be a model/example for your child who needs to learn how to be firm.