5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mods the engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 09:18 AM

Hey everyone happy new year, the best to all of you.
I became a regular visitor of maxima.org, I have been reading all the threads for the last 6 months and finded some very good advise on mods, but there are still some area where I never heard of possible modifications. I remember in the late 70's we used to redo entirely the engine by oversizing it, changing the crankshaft, replacing the cameshaft as well as using all the mods stating in the forum here, we use to gain some very interesting power and there was no turbo at that time ( dont get me wrong, I am not nostalgic about the past )but what I want to say is most of the mods that people talk about are always the same, and I dont remember seing many talking about the real mods inside the engine, I'am shure that there is a way to increase the power of the Max engine without using a S/C. I own a 2001 Se 20th stock for now, and before I start to make mods, I want to look at all the possibilities, for me spending 6K CDN for a S/C seems a lot to gain +-75 HP. Is there any way to spend 6K on the engine itself and get bigger or equivalent gain like oversizing the engine, replacing the cam and crank.

P.S: I have 5000KM on my 2001 se 20th and so far so good, I never had a single problem with it.

Take good care Double A
Old 01-07-2001, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by doublea
Is there any way to spend 6K on the engine itself and get bigger or equivalent gain like oversizing the engine, replacing the cam and crank.
I'm not an automobile engineer but there are several issues I'd be concerned about, not the least of which are how the ECU would react to the engine modifications and what effect the mods would have on emission levels.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:37 AM

Mods on engine

I'm not an automobile engineer but there are several issues I'd be concerned about, not the least of which are how the ECU would react to the engine modifications and what effect the mods would have on emission levels.

Hey y2kmax, I believe that's emission are a big thing in the US mostly in CA, We dont have the same emission regulation here in Canada,but thanks for your reply, I will definetly keep this in mind.

By the way your car look greats.

Double A
Old 01-07-2001, 10:43 AM

Internal mods (long)

Doublea,

I too used to get horsepower from diffrent mods such as boring,shaving heads,port,polish,cams,headers,etc. I personally am not interested in doing some of those mods because engines are so much more efficient these days, head flow is better, we can run more compression on pump gas because of electronic ignition systems and improved combustion chambers, advanced intake dual stage systems, less resistance in moving parts inside the motor, Better firing order and camshaft configurations, etc. The motor itself has been refined extremely well. Think of the output of todays engines and fuel economy. BMW nearly 285hp out of 4 liters, Honda 240hp out of 2 liters, for that matter Nissan 222hp out of 3 liters! I Think mods best done are the things that still could use improvement, and what needs improvement very greatly from car to car. Dinan tried to make a performance chip for the new M5 but could not scrape even 1 more hp because BMW had don't such a good job programing the M5 chip, nothing could be done. People are less likely to bore a car today because of the complexity of the motors today, no more carburators, a bunch of sensors and electronic confusion. Any major change like a bore or cams almost always require computer programing changes, depending on the severity. Many people want to keep there warranty so they do mods that can be taken off when the car goes in for repairs. I feel this way, if the bulk of my motor is proven to run over 200,000 miles, I sure don't want to mess with it with a bore. Although, to maximize any engines potential..."there is no replacement for displacement".

Mark
Old 01-07-2001, 01:44 PM

NOT TRUE ABOUT THE M 5 BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CHIP IN EUROPE THAT ADDS 100 MORE HP I DON'T KNOW WHO MAKES IT BUT I WILL TRY TO FIND OUT BELIEVE ME I AM NOT LYING.
Old 01-07-2001, 02:01 PM

I don't think so

Originally posted by TAGURIT
NOT TRUE ABOUT THE M 5 BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CHIP IN EUROPE THAT ADDS 100 MORE HP I DON'T KNOW WHO MAKES IT BUT I WILL TRY TO FIND OUT BELIEVE ME I AM NOT LYING.
I don't believe a chip in Europe can add 100hp. Here is a quote from Dinan: "Congratulations to BMW's engineers! For the first time in nearly 20 years, BMW has provided the driving enthusiast with all of the power that can be mustered as a result of engine management tuning. BMW's sophisticated detonation control systems and high speed engine management computers have left no horsepower for we tuners to extract; as much as we hate to admit it."

Mark

Old 01-07-2001, 03:15 PM

LISTEN YO ME THAT'S A QUOTE FROM DINAN HOWEVER THAT IS ONLY ONE MANUFACTURER AND TRUST ME IF YOU CAN ADD 100HP TO A VOLVO AUDI AND VOLKSWAGON YOU CAN ADD 100 HP TO A V8 BMW REMEMBER THAT ENGINE IS DE TUNED DID YOU KNOW DAT ONE PLAYBOY. THOSE ABOVE CARS ARE TURBOCHARGED AND THAT IS WHERE THEY GET THOSE NUMBERS HOWEVER THE BMW IS DE TUNED AND IS A V8 AND DISPLACEMENT GIVES ROOM FOR MORE AIR FUEL MIXTURE PLUS DO YOU THINK THE M5 CAN ONLY GO 155 PLEASE THEY EVEN TELL YOU THAT IT IS GOVERNED.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:30 PM
PRINCE NISMO

I understand where your comming from......

..doublea, but it seem that todays cars are just computers and sensors the 5th gen has (4)O2 sensors itself and the OBD-2 does not help here in the US. I don't know of anyone who has aftermarket cams, pistons,etc for the Max. I think that's why it's so hard to do the internal work on these cars because the demand is not there for this engine yet and to find someone to do it is expensive. I know that alot of people do such work to Hondas and Acuras, etc but the money they spend sometimes is half as much as what they paid for the car and that's to much for me. I think the electronics took over for cubic inches...maybe if we had a turbo from the factory that would be another story.

Old 01-07-2001, 08:12 PM

doublea,

A few things you can do to the "core" parts of the engine are port and polish the head and add an underdrive pulley. To my knowledge, nobody here has ported and polished their head, but Stillen claims 10HP increase.

Of course, this does not include add ons such as a SC, nitrous, intake, and exhaust.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:24 PM
mdushane

How much do you have to spend?

Sure, a bigger bore and more aggressive cams yield more power. But to bore, you need different pistons, resleeving, and then a different fuel map and possibly a different delivery system. Cams usually need different springs, retainers, and fuel maps. With modern electronic engine control systems, you're looking at a custom ECU with endless tuning to get the most out of it. Modern engines are designed on computers to eliminate unnecessary mass in the interest of efficiency, so there is precious little to work with when boring them out. The complexity of the engine makes it really daunting. Classic muscle cars often made 1 horsepower per cubic inch, and that was gross (not counting accessory drag) horsepower. The Maxima makes almost 1 1/4 net horsepower per cubic inch, and it would be significantly more if you were measuring gross horsepower like they did for old muscle cars. Would a bigger bore and hotter cams help? Definitely. But it would cost literally tens of thousands of dollars to do the development and buy the other necessary components to get it running right. For the money, I'd just buy myself an M3 or an S4.

Old 01-12-2001, 08:28 PM

Re: How much do you have to spend?

Thanks for that point of view, anyway with all the response & comments I received, I'm convinced,
it is going to be a S/C...ya man, but first let's get the y-pipe and the intake eh eh eh...

Have a nice one.