5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CD-R's pause for a few seconds in Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 05:58 AM

CD-R's pause for a few seconds in Bose system

I've searched for and read many threads about why the owners manual says not to put CD-R's in the Bose in-dash changer. Most of you seem to not have a problem. I gave it a try. Used a 74 min Maxell CD-R without a label on it. The only thing is that using Windows Media Player on Win-XP I don't know how to see what recording rate it is using. They play for a while then it stops for 4-6 seconds, then starts up again. Did this at least once within every song on the disc. Don't know if there is an answer, but thought I'd share an experience.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:18 AM

Re: CD-R's pause for a few seconds in Bose system

Originally posted by maxmizd27
I've searched for and read many threads about why the owners manual says not to put CD-R's in the Bose in-dash changer. Most of you seem to not have a problem. I gave it a try. Used a 74 min Maxell CD-R without a label on it. The only thing is that using Windows Media Player on Win-XP I don't know how to see what recording rate it is using. They play for a while then it stops for 4-6 seconds, then starts up again. Did this at least once within every song on the disc. Don't know if there is an answer, but thought I'd share an experience.
I don't have BOSE system and CD-R's play fine in stock system....
The only reason I did not buy BOSE system because of the complexity of upgrading the sound system later on........Need really good installer to change BOSE system...
Old 02-03-2003, 06:30 AM
Play with my balls

Re: CD-R's pause for a few seconds in Bose system

Is it possible that it could be a bad burn........sometimes it might do that in other players also. Try that if you haven't yet already, (you might not get the same symptoms if you use an actual home cd player, so you might want to try in another vehicle). Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same Problem Here

I have the same problem with my head unit.
I have a 2k2 SE and I've had my car in the dealership already for the left side speaker problem. Its strange, I thought it was because of CD-R's also but my problem has gotten so bad that it happens on store bought cd's too now. It's not a problem with the CD-R's, its the head unit. I'm taking my car in this week for them to take a look at it. They were supposed to swap my head unit out for the speaker problem I was having but I highly doubt they did that. What dealership actually takes the time to program all of you radio stations back to what you had??? Anyways, take it back to the dealership...
Old 02-03-2003, 07:46 AM

I haven't yet had a problem with a pre-recorded CD. If it does the same thing with them then it will have to go back. It needs to get the rear window noise taken care of too. Evidently still an issue on some 2K3's.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:33 AM

cdrws

does anyone know if cdrws work?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:46 AM

I have the Bose 6-disc changer and I've used CD-Rs with NO problems whatsoever. In fact, I think it plays them just like pre-recorded CDs (no additional delays or anything).

Maybe it's with the method you use to record the CDs. The program I use has two methods - disc-at-once or track-at-once. I think track at once is used to do a multi-session CD. I never do multiple sessions so I always use disc-at-once.

Now if Nissan offered an MP3/6 disc changer then I'd really be happy..

I used to have a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP in my previous car...nice system. Now my fiance enjoys it in her Focus...
Old 02-03-2003, 10:38 AM
It's chrome alright...

have you tried the 'bad' disk in any other player? Does it happen there, too?

have you tried burning another disk? Does it happen with that one as well?

The recording rate shouldn't matter. That should only determine how good it sounds, it should not make it 'skip'. I've been using CD-Rs in my stock Bose since day 1 and every problem I've had has always been with burning, not playing. I've even started using 80 minute disks with no problems.

CD-RW will probably not work...something about the reflectivity of the disk and the laser no being powerful enough I believe.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
have you tried the 'bad' disk in any other player? Does it happen there, too?

have you tried burning another disk? Does it happen with that one as well?

The recording rate shouldn't matter. That should only determine how good it sounds, it should not make it 'skip'. I've been using CD-Rs in my stock Bose since day 1 and every problem I've had has always been with burning, not playing. I've even started using 80 minute disks with no problems.

CD-RW will probably not work...something about the reflectivity of the disk and the laser no being powerful enough I believe.
This was the first one I've tried. Every other CD-R I've ever made has worked in every other player in the house. And a couple of them are pretty old. Maybe just a fluke. I've not had any problems burning CD's so far. I'll try another to see what happens. I read some posts about keeping the record rate at 8x or under. That was the only reason I mentioned it. I tried another pre-recorded CD today and no problems. I'll post an update when I try another CD-R. Thanks guys!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 AM

I read some posts about keeping the record rate at 8x or under. That was the only reason I mentioned it. I tried another pre-recorded CD today and no problems.
I'm still in the Stone Age I guess - all I have is an 8x burner! Won't upgrade it until it dies!

Glad to hear you're up and running...........
Old 02-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I use Nero Burning Rom and I've never had any problems with playing burned disks. I even put lables on them. No skips and with CD-Text, although it would be better if the text scrolled automatically.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:52 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by MadMax1996

I'm still in the Stone Age I guess - all I have is an 8x burner! Won't upgrade it until it dies!

Glad to hear you're up and running...........
I have 4x at home and 12x at work... both work fine in the stock bose. If 8x is stone age, what's 4x?

Titanium2k3, how'd you get the text part to work? I've never been able to see a CD name or song name on the display. It's not a big deal but it would be neat.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:49 PM

CD text would definitely be sweet.. Nero was always weird (to me) to operate. I like the simplicity of the Easy CD Creator 4 that came with my drive. Might be worth an upgrade for that feature tho.

I was just kidding about the 8x being stone age.. aren't they up to 50x or something? My buddy has a 48x burner...it's crazy fast!

Do most prerecorded CDs have text encoded on them? I haven't seen anything display text on my stereo...
Old 02-03-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by MadMax1996
CD text would definitely be sweet.. Nero was always weird (to me) to operate. I like the simplicity of the Easy CD Creator 4 that came with my drive. Might be worth an upgrade for that feature tho.

I was just kidding about the 8x being stone age.. aren't they up to 50x or something? My buddy has a 48x burner...it's crazy fast!

Do most prerecorded CDs have text encoded on them? I haven't seen anything display text on my stereo...
I don't think that the post with the text was referring to the bose head unit, but rather after market.

I've got a 48x burner and it is about 3.5 minutes to burn a full disk! CDs with audio tracks take longer but it is fast and cost about $100! I paid 4 times that for my 4x burner back in the day-o.

As far as the speed, I heard that 52x is the highest they can spin without compromising the disk. Apparently, speeds higher than that can rip the CD apart! They are working on new lasers like the "blue" laser to get more info on a standard disk.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Titanium2k3
I use Nero Burning Rom and I've never had any problems with playing burned disks. I even put lables on them. No skips and with CD-Text, although it would be better if the text scrolled automatically.
Yup, same here. I also use Nero with Maxell 80 min and Memorex Black 80 min CD-R's (both computer discs..as opposed to CD's that are labeled "Music" or "Audio CD-R") and haven't had a problem. I also have had labels on them as well as CD Text and the Bose just hums right along (knock on wood ). I also burn at 24x.

To read CD Text on the Bose unit, press "PTY" when playing a disc encoded with CD Text. Pressing once will net you the disc title, pressing again will net you the track title. Press "AUTO.P" (I think) to manually scroll through the title. If text is not encoded, you will get "NO TITLE" on the display.

CD-RW's will not work.

Try the disc in another player or re-burn another disc. Good luck.