5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

possible loss of power with ypipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 03:25 PM

possible loss of power with ypipe

what up yall new member to the site. i recently got the stillen ypipe for my auto 2k1 and my curent mods are the greddy evo catback and a place racing cold air. Shockingly i tested my 0-60 and it appeared to knock on almost a second more after the ypipe was installed from a 7.2 to 8.1. it seems as if i feel a little bit of power after 60. does this sound familiar for anyone else with a ypipe or same mods?i also got pulled on by my friends stock 3.5L altima from a roll at 30 by about a good car length. am i wasting my time putting all this money into the max?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:54 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

Originally posted by amaxeatinvtecs
what up yall new member to the site. i recently got the stillen ypipe for my auto 2k1 and my curent mods are the greddy evo catback and a place racing cold air. Shockingly i tested my 0-60 and it appeared to knock on almost a second more after the ypipe was installed from a 7.2 to 8.1. it seems as if i feel a little bit of power after 60. does this sound familiar for anyone else with a ypipe or same mods?i also got pulled on by my friends stock 3.5L altima from a roll at 30 by about a good car length. am i wasting my time putting all this money into the max?
how are you testing the 0-60? i only had a k&n drop in when i put my y pipe on and i felt improved mid to high end power. was the y pipe new or used? and are you experiencing any leaks? i cant tell you if you wasting your time or not, thats your decision. even with all the bolt ons, you will come close to the hp a stock 3.5 has but i dont think its possible to match its torque or mid range power mainly due to the auto tranny.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:24 PM

Re: Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

Originally posted by sloppymax

how are you testing the 0-60? i only had a k&n drop in when i put my y pipe on and i felt improved mid to high end power. was the y pipe new or used? and are you experiencing any leaks? i cant tell you if you wasting your time or not, thats your decision. even with all the bolt ons, you will come close to the hp a stock 3.5 has but i dont think its possible to match its torque or mid range power mainly due to the auto tranny.

i agree with u on the mid to high power from the ypipe, right after 60 i feel a much better launch. i didnt get it used nor did i see any leaks from the car. i tested the 0-60 with my cell phone timer about 3 times. maybe pulleys will make up for the low end. i hope youre right though about the altima, thanks for the opinion
Old 02-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

i agree with u on the mid to high power from the ypipe, right after 60 i feel a much better launch. i didnt get it used nor did i see any leaks from the car. i tested the 0-60 with my cell phone timer about 3 times. maybe pulleys will make up for the low end. i hope youre right though about the altima, thanks for the opinion
Go to the track and test your mods. Using a handheld timer is be far the worst way to test performance gains/losses.

Dave
Old 02-08-2003, 05:05 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

Originally posted by Dave B
Go to the track and test your mods. Using a handheld timer is be far the worst way to test performance gains/losses.

Dave

There's simply NO WAY you can get an accurate performance measurement using a stopwatch and looking at the speedo. There's so much error in that sort of measurement that it's pretty much useless.

Get a G-Tech/PRO performance meter.

Better yet...

Go dyno your car, or as Dave said, go to the track.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

i tested the 0-60 with my cell phone timer about 3 times. maybe pulleys will make up for the low end. i hope youre right though about the altima, thanks for the opinion
I did the same thing! i got 7.7 0-60 in my 2k2 maxima, but i run 14.7 in the 1/4 mile, the stop watch test is wrong also, but dont feel bad, I used to do it all the time hahah, i got like a 6.9 0-60 with my timer in my friend's cobra !!!! hahaha he runs 13.0 in the 1/4, but he was worried that he did 0-60 in 6.9-7 hahaha, its more like 4.4 with the gtech... im 6.3 with the gtech.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: possible loss of power with ypipe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteVTEC
[B]

There's simply NO WAY you can get an accurate performance measurement using a stopwatch and looking at the speedo. There's so much error in that sort of measurement that it's pretty much useless.

Get a G-Tech/PRO performance meter.

yea i guess it makes sense, 0-60 in 8 ticks is pretty pathetic, i alays wondered how those catalogs would come up with times for the 2k's. im sure they have professionals drivinem