5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any way to check battery CCA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Any way to check battery CCA?

I have always thought that batteries don't die suddenly unless the weather got sharply cold. Recently I had the ECM reprogrammed and in the process they found I had a weak battery and had to replace it before the ECM could be reprogrammed. I never had a starting problem or any other indication of battery trouble so I was sceptical of the diagnosis until I saw the diagnostic readings. Below are the readings from the old and new battery:

Old New

Rating: 550 CCA 550CCA
Actual: 70 CCA 679CCA
Voltage: 12.24V 13.09V

I had been checking the battery fluid level and the voltage but apparently that's not enough to accurately estimate battery condition. I was relieved that the problem was caught before I got stranded soon. The old battery was only 2.5 years old.
So, is there a test for the CCA that a DYI can perform?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Any way to check battery CCA?

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
I have always thought that batteries don't die suddenly unless the weather got sharply cold. Recently I had the ECM reprogrammed and in the process they found I had a weak battery and had to replace it before the ECM could be reprogrammed. I never had a starting problem or any other indication of battery trouble so I was sceptical of the diagnosis until I saw the diagnostic readings. Below are the readings from the old and new battery:

Old New

Rating: 550 CCA 550CCA
Actual: 70 CCA 679CCA
Voltage: 12.24V 13.09V

I had been checking the battery fluid level and the voltage but apparently that's not enough to accurately estimate battery condition. I was relieved that the problem was caught before I got stranded soon. The old battery was only 2.5 years old.
So, is there a test for the CCA that a DYI can perform?
You would need to buy a battery meter with a load tester. It's cheaper to stop by Autozone and use theirs.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Ditto...

Hey Green 2kse.... my battery bit the dust , too. About a month ago it got cold and the Max would hesitate on the first crank. About a week ago, I came out from work and it was just about spent. I got a jump and drove it straight to Autozone and had them stick a new one in the car (hey, it was pouring rain and they do it for free and better him than me!). Car was put into service in April 2000, 33 months on the battery. They must have used the cheapest d&mn batteries they could find.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:22 AM

battery test

As someone pointed out earlier, you need to test a battery under load to accurately test a battery. Many auto part stores have a tester you can use. Some battery chargers also include this feature.

Lastly, maintaining the water level in a battery doesn't guarantee it will continue to function. Water & Acid gradually evaporate into the air and all you are doing is replacing the water part. Be sure and replace the water part with distilled water as tap water contains impurities that weaken the acid bath. Even if you replace the fluid with a acid/water solution you would still eventually have the failure of the plates. 2.5 years does seem a little fast though. Most batteries, except the really cheap ones, are warrantied for the 4-6 years. Did they (Nissan) replace your battery for free or did you have to pay? I have no idea what the warranty is like from Nissan for this (I was referring to store bought batteries).